Throwdown - 2v2 Map Contest

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by a Chunk, Dec 4, 2015.

By a Chunk on Dec 4, 2015 at 1:31 AM
  1. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist
    Forge Critic Wiki Contributor Senior Member

[​IMG]

Our baby is back again, and looking better than ever. Let's kick off our reunion with a BANG!

BEGIN TRANSMISSION
    Hello Hubbers. Halo 5 forge has launched and a new era is upon us. To commemorate this grand occasion, Forgehub is breaking radio silence to announce a 2v2 Slayer forge map contest. There's no time to waste. Dive right in and get your hands dirty because the 2v2 Throwdown contest is ON!

GOING LOUD
    Q. What maps can I forge on?
    A. Your map can be forged on one of the blank canvases - Alpine, Glacier, Parallax, or Breakout Arena. It can also be forged on any of the Halo 5 disc maps, however they can ONLY be used as a blank canvas. You CANNOT use existing geometry on disc maps.

Q. Are there age requirements?
    A. No. Anyone who submits a map will be eligible to claim a prize.

Q. Can I co-forge with my friend(s)?
    A. Yes! We love seeing community collaboration, so co-forging is allowed. However, be aware that your map must have a primary author who will receive any contest winnings.

Q. Are remakes from (insert game here) allowed?
    A. Yes, however it is extremely unlikely that a remake will win any prizes because it will automatically receive a low score in the Originality/Creativity judging category.
    Anyone found to be plagiarizing maps from other forgers will be disqualified, and shall forever be shunned by the forge community (so don't do it).

SUBMISSIONS
    Entries must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on March 1st, 2016. All submissions should be tailored to 2v2 Slayer gameplay, both in size and in power weapon placement. All submissions will be tested using default slayer settings, so be sure to mold your maps to your liking with that in mind. Judging will commence immediately after the submission deadline and winners will be announced as soon as judging is completed.

To submit your map, simply create an account at www.ForgeHub.com, visit the "Maps" page and click on the "Submit Your Map" icon. Eligible submissions must contain at least 7 images per map. A YouTube gameplay video, or walkthroughs are heavily encouraged as well.
    After posting your map, post a link to it in the Throwdown Submission Thread.

SUBMIT YOUR MAPS: HERE

JUDGEMENT DAY
    Eligible map submissions will be judged based on:

Game-type Support
    • Does the map function for the game-type as necessary? Are all required objects and systems in place to successfully play a game?
    Fun-Factor
    • Is the map fun to play on? Is the space fun to navigate through? Do the weapons, spawns, and layout promote a positive game experience? Is the map balanced and fair for the given game-type?
    Performance
    • Does the map suffer from any negative visual or performance issues?
    Originality / Creativity
    • Is the map interesting and unique in both design and appearance?

JUDGE PANEL
    - a Chunk
    - a 3 Legged Goat
    - Xzamplez
    - WARHOLIC

PRIZING
    Nothing heats up these cold winter days like the burning desire to take home some of these fantastic prizes!

1st Place - $500

2nd Place - $350

3rd Place - $150

4th Place - our appreciation

THE THROWDOWN
    The goal of this contest is two-fold. First we want to find great maps, and then we want to play on great maps! Yes, you heard right. The winning maps chosen from this contest will be played on during an upcoming tournament (so don't tell anyone about the hidden Rocket Launcher that only you know about).

There you have it! Get out there and make us proud, Hubbers.

END TRANSMISSION...

Attached Files:

#1 a Chunk, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by a Chunk, Dec 4, 2015.

1. What's A Scope?
      What's A Scope?
      Pleased to see this type of contest is back here at FH. Great Prizes. Well done.
      WAR and cluckinho like this.
    2. Nitro
      Nitro
      I'm excited for this. I wonder what map I will design.
    3. Given To Fly
      Given To Fly
      I highly suggest you re-distribute the prize pool for this contest.
      The prizes are amazing, but even if you set aside $100 from 1st - 3rd, at least that way runner ups would still receive at least a $10 gift gard to XBL or something. It would encourage more people to make maps, draw in a larger community, and reward people who came so close but fell just short.

Let's say:
      1st- $450
      2nd- $300
      3rd- $150
      4th- $50
      5th-10th- $10 each

This way people do not feel as let down placing lower, top tiers are still highly rewarded, and everybody wins!
    4. Chronmeister
      Chronmeister
      You communist. ;)
    5. MultiLockOn
      MultiLockOn

Go to china, communist scum!

And vote for Bernie Sanders while you're at it :p
    6. SloppyBottom
      SloppyBottom
      I disagree. I just don't see your idea encouraging more contestants. I don't think anyone will decide not to enter because 10th place isn't getting prizes. Furthermore it puts more pressure on the judges to rate the maps more specifically, rather than just picking out the top three. When I see the prize money I think "I might win $500 dollars," not, "I might not win, but I hope they give me some lunch money to make up for the dozens of hours it took me to make my map."

IMHO this community provides no shortage of pats on the back. But in the case you think they are needed it'd be a better suggestion to have these guys list some runnerups or feature them (something I see forge hub doing regardless of suggestion). Getting your map out there is just more important to forgers.
      Psychoduck and Chronmeister like this.
    7. Korlash
      Korlash
      you forgot the "our appreciation" prize for 11th-30th
      WAR, Given To Fly and a Chunk like this.
    8. Panyc333
      Panyc333
      Hey guys. Looking forward to checking out all of the great content you guys come up with. Happy forging!
      WAR likes this.
    9. Given To Fly
      Given To Fly
      It's not about a pat on the back and saying "good job little buddy!" in fact it has nothing to do with pity...? It's about recognizing the community for their devotion to the site. But if you would rather get nothing than anything, then why do I keep writing? I feel like you're the guy on deal or no deal that thinks they'll get the million case but walks away with a penny lol ;)
    10. Ensomniac
      Ensomniac
      Just a simple question, who funded these rewards?!? I'd give maybe $100 if I were holding a contest most, but how did someone dedicate near $1000!!!
    11. Marc A. Rios
      Marc A. Rios
      one dollar
    12. leegeorgeton
      leegeorgeton
      Are you sure about that, because I have quite a few blocks that are showing up completely dark/shaded and switching the baked in lighting setting does not fix it?
    13. ReclaimerX22
      ReclaimerX22
      When I posted that, the only instances I had seen of the glitch I had been able to fix it by turning light bake off. Since then, I've found some that i couldn't fix by doing that, so unfortunately I was wrong. But it does at least work sometimes.
    14. leegeorgeton
      leegeorgeton
      It seems like the instances where toggling the baked in lighting doesn't fix the problem are situations where there is actually an area of the map that is having a problem because not only do one or two objects appear dark, but weaponry and vehicles within that area end up being extra dark as well, even darker than as if they were in shadow.

I moved my entire map up one hundred units because there was a huge area of darkness. All the pieces that had been dark finally lit up as they were suppose to. Unfortunately, another area of the map ended up with the same problem now. Fortunately, it's an area I was already going to put lights in, but it's frustrating not knowing whether there is something I did that caused it or if it's just totally random. I have a feeling it's something I did, but there are so many variables I can't invest enough time to figure it out.
    15. Sinogard
      Sinogard
      So i have begun remaking simplex from halo 4. obviously its not my map and not a direct remake but the general layout is still the same. can i enter this map or would you recommend that I enter a different map?
    16. a Chunk
      a Chunk
      You CAN enter remakes. I personally wouldn't recommend it if it's pretty similar to the original, and if you want a legitimate chance at getting in the top 3. You can certainly enter more than one map though.
      theSpinCycle and MultiLockOn like this.
    17. Raide UK
      Raide UK
      Am I a little loo late to jump in on this? Would love to try a smaller scale map.
    18. a Chunk
      a Chunk
      The submission deadline is February 29th, so you should have plenty of time. Happy forging!
      Raide UK likes this.
    19. Raide UK
      Raide UK
      Well, I will probably be rubbish but I may as well work on something and throw it in! Just checking the rules now.
      WAR likes this.
    20. Toastman
      Toastman
      Oh im in on this action jackson!
      Raide UK likes this.