News Q & A with Halo CE Game Designer - Feb. 3rd!

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by theSpinCycle, Jan 22, 2015.

By theSpinCycle on Jan 22, 2015 at 9:58 PM
  1. theSpinCycle

theSpinCycle Halo Reach Era

Have you ever wondered why your favorite Halo map is designed like it is? Here's your chance to get the inside scoop.

Hardy Lebel Header.png

Hardy Lebel, the game designer for Halo: Combat Evolved, is hosting an upcoming 30 minute webinar to answer our questions about level design! Apart from his work on Halo CE, you might already know of him from his regular blogs on game development on hardylebel.com, or from his creative consultancy work on Halo 2.

What began with a simple question asked by a community member over Twitter ("Was 'Quick Camo' intentional in Halo CE?") has blossomed into an ongoing conversation between Halo fans and one of the series' most-loved game designers.

We at Forgehub are excited at the chance to peek behind the curtain and get a glimpse into the mind of Hardy Lebel, the man responsible for one of the greatest games ever created and arguably the father of the console FPS industry. What we need from you are your questions for him.

Please post any questions about level design you have for Hardy Lebel in this thread. The staff will compile these questions and forward them to "Professor Lebel" so he can review them before his live level design webinar on February 4th.

Hardy LeBel was responsible for designing some of the most iconic maps in the entire Halo franchise:
    Battle Creek
    Bloodgulch
    Boarding Action
    Chiron 13
    Derelict
    Longest
    Rat Race
    Sidewinder
    Wizard

He also worked closely with PMarks on "Hang em' High"

Now's our chance to grow our collective knowledge about Halo and its roots - so start asking those burning questions!

--Your Forgehub Staff

EVENT DETAILS:

Who: Hardy Lebel, game designer for Halo: Combat Evolved and creative consultant for Halo 2

What: A 30 minute public Question and Answer session on Level Design

When: February 3rd, 2015 at 6pm Pacific Standard Time

Where: Google+

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: Here it is!

#1 theSpinCycle, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015
    Fritzster likes this.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by theSpinCycle, Jan 22, 2015.

1. purely fat
      purely fat
      I won't be able to watch so let me know how it goes.
    2. xzamplez
      xzamplez
      Are there any map design principles that you follow universally, or do you believe they can all be broken if taking appropriate counter-measures? If you believe the latter, please provide an example or multiple examples of how you've broken these principles successfully.
    3. WAR
      WAR
      @purely fat - Here's a brief recap off the top of my head:
      - Boarding Action was bad because it was originally designed for Spartans with jetpacks, which were cut from the final version of the game because it was too hard to incorporate into campaign.
      - Function is more important than form, verticality is awesome, game design and leve;l design must be wholly supportive of one another.
      - Maps were intentionally designed to be overly simple because they were testing sandbox items and movement mechanics.
      - First make something cool, then make it balanced.
      - Sword was in the game but cut at last minute
      - Some terrible environment artist posted risky pictures of his girlfriend in a hidden room on boarding action. They were later found by Chris Carney and removed…

4. theSpinCycle
      theSpinCycle
      @purely fat Your question about why the maps were so bad was his favorite LOL :p

Also he's planning on doing this again!!! Yay!
      a Chunk likes this.
    5. purely fat
      purely fat
      I just feel like a douche. lol
      I will have a better question next time.
      theSpinCycle and WAR like this.
    6. Korlash
      Korlash
      that was a perfectly valid question though
    7. purely fat
      purely fat
      It was really blunt though... I could have thought of a better way to phrase it.
    8. a Chunk
      a Chunk
      Just going to leave this here...Hardy's talk combined with gameplay on his maps.

theSpinCycle and purely fat like this.
    9. a Chunk
      a Chunk
      Surprise! Surprise! Hardy's coming back at us with another Level Design question and answer session. :)
      He's still keeping an eye out for more questions, so ask away.
      http://www.hardylebel.com/2015/02/453/

[​IMG]

Round two of answering your questions on Halo: CE multiplayer level design and whatever else we can get to.

On Tuesday, February 10 at 6pm (PST) I will be holding a free 30 minute Google+ webinar to answer more of your questions.

I’ll try to get through the list that has already been submitted, but you’re welcome to post your questions in advance in the comments section below.

The good folks at Forge Hub have been very supportive of this process so I’ll also be collecting questions from their forums as well.

I hope you’ll join us!
      coIdFUSI0N and theSpinCycle like this.
    10. theSpinCycle
      theSpinCycle
      OK now that the stream's over, somebasic highlights for people who missed it and would like a recap (I missed the first couple minutes btw)

-Hardy worked on socom and Far Cry

-The Jet Pack was only in CE for a short period of time; it was prototyped and removed, and left Boarding Action in an unsatisfactory state.

-Rat Race was Hardy's first time modeling. He just made tunnels, had them go up and down, and made sure they connected. He didn't expect it to become one of the more popular competitive maps (and I say "more popular competitive maps" with respect to Chiron and company).

-Damnation was originally a segment of Campaign that got scrapped. Hardy and Dave Dunn (the maker of Damnation as a single-player map) adapted the campaign segment for multiplayer.

-Nading weapons: The devs didn't specifically think about people throwing nades to get weapons to themselves. Instead the devs thought about denying the other team weapons, and figured it could potentially be interesting for weapons to have physics.

Also, another webinar next week!! yay!!
      a Chunk likes this.
    11. a Chunk
      a Chunk
      Youtube Rebroadcast

theSpinCycle likes this.