HCS Season 4 - Forge Map Candidates

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Nitro, May 5, 2018.

By Nitro on May 5, 2018 at 10:48 PM
  1. Nitro

Nitro Guilty Spark

With the recent closure of the Season 3 Halo World Championships, 343i decided to make some changes to their next upcoming season with the addition of forge map(s*); that was announced late yesterday evening. Here's the link to that article. In addition to that, I'm going to link this article to each of the maps that are in consideration for the next season to their map post so that proper feedback can be provided to their creators.

Below are a few items related to the forge maps in that article:

Here’s a look at the changes that will be made for next season:
    • New Forge map(s) - Even just adding one Forge map will have a big impact on the competitive rotation for the HCS. Like with Oddball, all players will have to learn the map(s) which puts all competitors at the same level, and it should also provide viewers with some fresh gameplay to watch unfold. Our goal is to incorporate at least one Forge map to support Slayer and an objective mode. Keep reading down below for additional information on how we’re selecting the Forge map(s).

One of the things we’re most excited about implementing is Forge maps. We’ve curated a list of competitive Forge maps for testing with the following criteria:

• Map must perform at a stable framerate
    • Map size must support 4v4 gameplay
    • Map must support Slayer and an objective mode (CTF, Strongholds, or Oddball)
    • Measures to improve “look” of the map must be taken for a quality viewing experience (without sacrificing gameplay and framerate)

FISSURE BY N3GAT1VE ZER0
    [​IMG]

SENTINEL BY N3GAT1VE ZER0
    [​IMG]

FURNACE BY BLAZE AND R3DSHFT
    [​IMG]

DATA CENTER BY ERK X15
    [​IMG]

ECHELON BY SQUALLY DABEANZ
    [​IMG]

RUSSET BY FOGE
    [​IMG]

VESTIGE BY THE SLAMMERSS
    [​IMG]

Starting Monday, May 7, we’ll be testing these publicly to streamline the list down to the very best one or two maps that will be included in the upcoming season. This is also where pros and competitive players alike can join in and provide feedback on these maps. Once those map(s) have been found, we’ll be doing more public testing to fine tune by tweaking geometry, adjusting weapon placement, adjusting spawns and more.

FORGING AHEAD
    Overall, here’s a look at the timeline for when Forge maps will be tested and tuned, and when competitors can expect settings to lock for the upcoming season:

• May 11: List of Forge maps whittled down to very best one (or two)
    • May 14: Fine tuning begins
    • June 1: Forge map(s) locked as well as maps that will be used for Oddball
    • June 8: Settings lock for the season
    Note that during this time period, public testing will be taking place multiple times each week. The HCS playlist within Halo 5 and the Official HCS fileshare will also be updated to allow players to try out the new settings at any time.

shonbag69, a Chunk, eLantern and 12 others like this.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Nitro, May 5, 2018.

1. a Chunk
      a Chunk
    2. MultiLockOn
      MultiLockOn
      Yeah you guys ****ed up lol have fun
      Xandrith likes this.
    3. Xandrith
      Xandrith
      to think a map by squall-e is in the hcs playlist...
    4. Preacher001
      Preacher001
      I can't help but feel that this is a test to see how well the younger community responds to reverting Halo back to it's roots. I would argue that the 343 team probably feels more pressure to produce Halo 6 than they even felt with Halo 4. With their willingness to go back and remove or alter their holy grailed mechanics, maybe there is hope yet.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I would like to see the height on clamber reduced by at least a third and I'm on the fence with how I would like to see it used when falling short on a ledge jump. I hated missing a ledge because I hit it with a toe but clamber went way too far the other way.

I never realized how interesting and frustrating it was to play with the mechanics of a game. I was in a rush to get a working copy of my Red Faction 2 Fall Factor remake ready for game night. I couldn't seem to get the jump height low enough to prevent players from making jumps that broke the level without it just turning to ****. Finally I decided to remove it entirely. With all of the Halo 5 mechanics disabled, jump completely removed and speed cranked up I thought I was going to hear a lot of complaints. In the end people seemed to prefer it, even though they recalled jumping in Red Faction. I may still add jump back but not unless I can fix how it works on map.

Back on Halo 6, I still can't believe they turned Cortana to the dark side. The banter between her and the Chief is one of the things I loved about Halo. I'm not anxious to run through the entire game with her just shouting crap from afar. I think I'll stick with my original opinion that it would be good if they made it so that Cortana's program split and while evil Cortana was out there trying to shut you down like an angry ex-girlfriend, good Cortana was secretly trying to assist you as she hacked systems classic Halo style.
      NOKYARD likes this.
    5. NOKYARD
      NOKYARD
      • 2001 Halo: Combat Evolved
      • 2004 Halo 2
      • 2007 Halo 3
      • 2009 Halo 3: ODST
      • 2010 Halo: Reach
      • 2011 Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
      • 2012 Halo 4
      • 2015 Halo 5: Guardians
      • 2019 Halo 6 : Evil Cortana was out there trying to shut you down like an angry ex-girlfriend, good Cortana was secretly trying to assist you as she hacked systems classic Halo style
      Preacher001 and MultiLockOn like this.
    6. Preacher001
      Preacher001
      Let's be honest. It's about as deep as Halo gets.
    7. SgtSlaphead
      SgtSlaphead
      Zombievillan likes this.