Halo 3: Forge the Fight

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SIR IRON WOLF, Aug 19, 2020.

By SIR IRON WOLF on Aug 19, 2020 at 3:59 PM
  1. SIR IRON WOLF

SIR IRON WOLF A Floating Lightbulb
    Staff Member Administrator Forge Critic Senior Member

Contest_Banner (1).jpg
    "Finish the Fight", this is the phrase we all know and love as it brings us back to those great memories and to a time when many of our forge careers started. With the launch of Halo 3 on PC and with the new items introduced into forge we once again get to relive the spark that started it all.

In a collaborative effort with 343 Industries, we are announcing the Halo 3: Forge the Fight contest to give you, the community, an opportunity to have your submitted maps considered for matchmaking as well as a chance to win $1,000 from ForgeHub.

The Halo 3: Forge the Fight contest is a map building contest in which we will be revisiting our original roots of forge, but this time with the added bonus of new objects and more advanced forge controls. (We can phase objects by default now!). Lets go over the basics of the contest.
    • 4v4 Core Maps (Judges will be using BR starts for all gametypes)
    • Maps must be set up for at least one of the these core modes: Slayer, CTF, or KOTH
    • Maps can only be made using MCC Halo 3 forge
    • 3 map submission limit per contestant
    • No time restrictions on building. This means that if you have a map that you already started building or finished, you can work on it and submit it up until the end date.

You will have one month to finish and submit your map. When the submission period ends the judging begins and will end when we review all of the maps.

Start Date: August 19th, 2020
    End Date: September 19th, 2020 at 11:59PM PST
    Judging Period: Roughly a month and a half

Halo__The_Master_Chief_Collection_7_20_2020_10_49_54_PM.jpg
    Judges:
    SIR IRON WOLF
    BaconMedia
    Foge

Guest Judges for the Top 10 Maps:
    Unyshek
    Naded
    Whos Blaze
    The main Judges will narrow the maps down to the top 10 maps which we will then bring in our guest judges to help determine the winners. Judging will primarily focus on gameplay and how well the maps fit the modes they are built for. We will also be looking at the technical aspect of the maps as well as art. With the new tools and objects introduced we expect to see maps utilize these new features.

Judging will also be done on the Xbox version of MCC.

There are some great prizes up for grabs this time around and just entering the contest means that your map may be considered for matchmaking!

Prizing:
    1st - $1,000 and a ForgeHub t-shirt from FH + 12 month Xbox Game Pass Ultimate code from 343
    2nd - $700 and a ForgeHub t-shirt from FH+ 12 month Xbox Game Pass Ultimate code from 343
    3rd - $300 and a ForgeHub t-shirt from FH + 12 month Xbox Game Pass Ultimate code from 343

*Placing in the top three does not guarantee you map will make it into matchmaking.
    Halo__The_Master_Chief_Collection_7_20_2020_11_24_54_PM.jpg
    SUBMIT HERE!

Important tip from Blaze to get the most out of Forge with the budget.

"The items on the default canvases will count toward the hard object limitations of your overall piece budget. This is not conveyed in the UI and this happens even after they are deleted. They will act as a 'reserve' object. So the best practice is to reuse the existing pieces on the map toward your own. On Sandbox this will give you an additional 300+ pieces before hitting that object limit."

Organized canvases with default map objects organized can be found from @Faulk Smash. To download these canvases, use the "Find Player" option on your profile and type in "Faulk Smash" the canvases are called
    Sandbox+ GBlock, Avalanche+, Foundry+
    Sandbox also has the Gaurdians blocked off so forging can be done in the surroundings of Sandbox.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 SIR IRON WOLF, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2020
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SIR IRON WOLF, Aug 19, 2020.

1. n0body1998
      n0body1998
      Making something on Longshore, it's not quite Foundry or Sandbox but I've found the crates, containers and wall pieces (bless those) good enough to at least block off parts of the map I'm not using and build within the new canvas.

Agree, same thing with Reach. I'm praying for Thorage to be applied universally to all maps some day. At least you can phase on all maps.
      RushMyPancake likes this.
    2. RushMyPancake
      RushMyPancake
      Yeah. I've been facing the same issue. I don't know how competitively viable my map could be if the floor becomes so bumpy on a reload.
    3. Nivalack
      Nivalack
      Is there a testing lobby for maps for the contest?
    4. Djzapper128
      Djzapper128
      If u were to get your map into mcc matching would u get the olive helmet for halo 5?
    5. Mags
      Mags
      Welcome to Halo 3 Forge best work around to counter the piece movement as best as you can
    6. Mags
      Mags
      nope MCC has it own gift for that
      Djzapper128 likes this.
    7. Mags
      Mags
      its not the system that broken it the actual forge pieces themselves that arnt straight or perfect 90's a lot of the pieces have slopes or dips in them.
    8. Luminousiy
      Luminousiy
      All pieces seem to be fine up until you save and quit, but upon launching the map to work on it again everything is basically at a 0.7 angle instead of being flat at 0.0 snap coordinates. At this point you’re basically better off free handing the angles you need which is unfortunate. I’ve found myself angling pieces slightly off in the opposite direction to see if it corrects itself upon restarting a session and it sort of works, but it’s extremely tedious.
      Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    9. The Grim Dealer
      The Grim Dealer
      To anyone experiencing issues with objects shifting, this is just how Halo 3 Forge is.

One way to sort of work around it is to use as many objects as you can at the default orientation that they spawn in, or as close to it as possible. Many objects tend to have less shifting issues when used this way.

Also, try to avoid using walls for floors as much as possible. Walls shift the most, and as such, are terrible as floor pieces.

One last word of advice would be to just experiment and see how object collision models interact with one another. Some objects have really janky collision and are just unsuitable to be used as floor pieces.
    10. IN009
      IN009
      Is a global contest or only for US?
      Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    11. WaiHo
      WaiHo
      Good question! That might save me a lot of time if it’s US only haha

@SIR IRON WOLF , could you clarify?
    12. Tom300
      Tom300
      I wish we already had the ODST update for MCC, the forge mode in the build is definitely an improvement over the dying that can happen in the retail version. I made a map, simple in structure but I did use some new forge pieces and move things around, I based mine on an alternative version to Foundry. I'm more so into doing infection maps, but I figured I would give it a shot.
    13. n0body1998
      n0body1998
      Why would it be US only?
    14. WaiHo
      WaiHo
      Back when I was active here, there were contests that were US only that were held by/with 343. Probably to do with giving out the prices and such.
    15. Foge
      Foge
      The contest is open for everyone and anyone.
      IN009, C00K1E and WaiHo like this.
    16. Nivalack
      Nivalack
      Does anyone know of any test lobbies being run for the contest?
      C00K1E likes this.
    17. The Grim Dealer
      The Grim Dealer
      I was thinking about trying to organize a weekly lobby myself if there isn't one already. I know for sure that at least a few of us are trying to get something going for Wednesday night.
      C00K1E and Nivalack like this.
    18. Tachyonic
      Tachyonic
      I'd definitely participate as a tester, but this Wednesday night would not work out for me. But sign me up if you're willing!
    19. JoeySnails
      JoeySnails
      How do I copy a download link from halo waypoint?
      I tried looking at my mcc file share and it just says no results found
    20. The Grim Dealer
      The Grim Dealer
      Waypoint doesn't currently support the MCC file share.
      JoeySnails likes this.