Attrition Map Contest

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Max Extra, Jun 24, 2020.

By Max Extra on Jun 24, 2020 at 2:01 PM
  1. Max Extra

Max Extra Forged Friday Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Forge Critic Senior Member

Contest_Banner.jpg
    Have you ever tried playing a game of trench warfare in Halo customs? Where you're just begging for some intense game play filled with big team pushes and even bigger defensive holds, but end up with nothing but two snipers cross mapping each other in a 1v1, that random teammate who stays in the wraith shooting at an empty trench, and campers with a shotguns? Well worry not young spartan! Attrition is here, and it needs your help! We need maps for the BTB rush down mode that promotes push forward combat, and a heavy emphasis on fast balanced game play. What is Attrition you ask? Well check out the link below!

In summary here are the 5 pillars of Attrition game play:
    1. Four rounds to win
    2. Four minutes per round
    3. Two hundred points to win a round
    4. Rapidly score points by controlling the enemy capture point.
      [​IMG]
    5. Get kills at the beginning of the round to raise the score and spawn more weapons for your team.
      [​IMG]

Attrition released with 5 unique custom made maps for the mode, all of which you are encouraged to download and play on to get a better grasp of the mode. There are not many specific rules one must follow when creating an Attrition map. In fact, Creativity and originality are encouraged. There are only a few hard rules to making an Attrition map.

1. A small “no man's land” (middle of map) that takes only 5-7 seconds to cross.

2. Strong defensive lines for both teams on each side of the “no man's land.”

3. A capture point in between the defensive line and the spawn for both teams.

4. A spawn zone on each side of the map that cannot be accessed by the enemy team.

5. Dynamic weapon spawns that reward the winning team with more weapons.

[​IMG]

Attrition does need a bit of scripting to work, and because of that there is a template available with all the scripting premade. The only thing needed is to activate scripting and the map will be 100 percent playable. This makes the template a great reference for anyone wanting to submit a map. You don't need to follow the template exactly, or very much at all, but everything you need will be there. Remember to turn ON scripting before you submit! For those wanting to add your own scripting, that is allowed, just contact Hitbox unKnown before the submission deadline.

And you may be thinking to yourself “This looks fun, I may want to participate, but what's in it for me” well I’ll tell you...

1st place: 500 USD

2nd place: 300 USD

3rd place: 200 USD

But wait, there's more! All placings and the honorable mentions from each Judge gets a Forgehub t-shirt!

Ok now that we have your attention here’s where to submit: Submission Link

• Submissions open the day of this announcement
    • Deadline is on 11:59 pm CST on the 5th of August
    • Max 3 submissions per contestant
    • You may only place once as the head forger of a map and as a co-forger of a map once each.
    • Judges cannot submit a map
    • You can edit your submissions, but the last edited date must be before the submission deadline.
    • Co-forging is ok and it will be up to the credited forgers to determine how to split any prizing
    • Plagiarizing other contestants maps is an instant disqualification.
    • Maps can be converted from other competitions (no matchmaking maps) but must have significant changes in order to fit the mode.
    • Remakes/reimaginings of Iconic maps from previous halos are permitted, but are on a thin line, make sure to be original.

The Judging will be done in phases, and maps will be receiving an average score per play through, and the Scoring will be based on four categories.

Phase 1 (Eligibility)

This is where the judges are going through the checklist, and disqualifying any map that breaks any submission rules, or breaks any of the 5 rules for making an attrition map.

Phase 2

Each judge will play each map and give an average score. Any maps 9 and over will move forward.

Phase 3

Each judge will play each map, and any maps 12 and over will move forward.

Phase 4

Each judge will play the remaining maps and the Top 10 will move forward.

Final Phase

There will be a final round of testing until there is a top 5. Then Like a jury the judging panel will unanimously decide on the winning maps.

Point guide:

0 - Means for disqualification
    1 - very poor design
    2 - poor design
    3 - not bad, not great
    4 - well done
    5 - perfection

Utility 5/5

How well does your map run? Frame rate, Scripting, Accessibility, Spawning, cameras, named location volumes, even general map balance.

Game play 5/5

How fun is your map to play? Engagements, rounds not lasting too long, Weapon choice, engaging layouts,

Art 5/5

How beautiful is your map? The physical shape, the pieces used, the atmosphere, how well does the theme play together, is it a believable environment.

Extra 2/2

Extra points a judge may use in order to commend a specific aspect of a map that is worth pointing out (does not count negatively towards map average if 0)

Hitbox unKnown will be streaming every one of his play tests here

Link for the Trello Board for the contest can be found here

Judging panel

Hitbox unknown (Creator)

B0b is here (Community Member)

Max Extra (Forgehub staff member)

There will also be game nights every Saturday and Sunday nights (Including this weekend!) for a chance to play the mode yourself, and even test your maps before the submission deadline. These will be the perfect times to ask us for personal help, and clarifications.

See you in the War Games simulations,
    - Hitbox unKnown

Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Max Extra, Jun 24, 2020.

1. The Grim Dealer
      The Grim Dealer
      Same here. My map isn't even in a playable state atm, so I'd like to know if I need to rush in the next our or not.
      Hairy Mcclairy likes this.
    2. Hitbox Unknown
      Hitbox Unknown
      The times are "random" because Life is busy right now, but I still wanted to give people a chance to test their maps. I live in MST when referring to the times. when timing events I use MST. B0b on the other hand lives on the east coast I believe so maybe there is confusion with the math or calculations.
      Hairy Mcclairy likes this.
    3. Hitbox Unknown
      Hitbox Unknown
      Ok everybody the deadline is tomorrow night midnight CST! I will be on to help fix tweak any final adjustments anyone has for any of their submissions tomorrow!

11 - 1pm MST
      12 - 2pm CST
      2 -4pm EST

I'm excited to start judging all your your maps soon!
    4. nadekil
      nadekil
      Perfect, will apply the finishing touches to my map tonight and tomorrow before the test.
      Hitbox Unknown likes this.
    5. Almighty Nubs
      Almighty Nubs
      Anyone know when the play tests are going to be streamed?
    6. Halo4geGod
      Halo4geGod
      I was wondering the same thing.
    7. Hairy Mcclairy
      Hairy Mcclairy
      Fairly certain they were streamed before the contest end date, considering they're tests and not for judging.
    8. Almighty Nubs
      Almighty Nubs
      Ah that'd make sense. I was under the impression there were gonna be streams for judging since it mentions Hitbox streaming the playtests in the judging section. Thanks for the clarification.
    9. Hitbox Unknown
      Hitbox Unknown
      Yeah sorry for the confusion I will be streaming for the future judging sessions up until the top 10 are picked. I simply didn't get the chance to get my stream running last night, I am shooting for saterday/sundays still, but my schedule is a little more sporadic now so just message me for info :)
    10. nadekil
      nadekil
      Is there a way we can see how a map scored in each category?
    11. Hitbox Unknown
      Hitbox Unknown
      Yes We plan on doing this for the next phase, If you still want to know, I can just give you mine, and ask the other judges if they still have their individual scores. I DM'd you my notes.
      HAYDN est1999 and TimeDipper like this.
    12. Hairy Mcclairy
      Hairy Mcclairy
      Fairwell good steed