Xbox One

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AnotherClaymore, May 21, 2013.

1. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

^ That. Maybe your best post on this forum, Pac.

My big concern with the new XBox is that this decision is going to eventually kill the console. It doesn't impact me personally as I'll always have broadband, but if people flee to other consoles in the numbers suggested by the current and ongoing backlash, that's bad news for the health and longevity of the thing.

2. Overdoziz

Overdoziz Untitled
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I think you mixed some stuff up. 80 percent of the households has internet. That's 21 million out of 26.25 million that have internet. Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) has a total population of 62.3 million people. Meaning that (If you assume 80% of the households contains 80% of the population) around 49.84 million out of those 62.3 million people have internet. Not 21 out of 53 million.

Also, unrelated to your post: Microsoft has sold around 77 million 360 consoles, and there are only 46m Xbox Live accounts. These stats get messed up a bit because of people buying several consoles or people using multiple accounts on the same console, but it still shows that a large group of people who have 360s never connected to Xbox Live with an account on their console. A reasonable assumption is that a large size of this group can't (practically) connect to the internet at all. All in all that's a very sizable amount of customer which you screw over with the Xbox One.

Plus, the army can't use it so Microsoft hates freedom etc.

3. J DawgMillenium

J DawgMillenium Promethean

It is interesting how everyone on Reddit only praises the Xbox One for the "family sharing" feature, but they extremely dislike having to provide an internet connection at least once per day, not noticing that the former is only possible because of the latter.

Honestly, I do not care about the countries that cannot have the Xbox One because their sacrifice allows my friends and me to have an amazing feature, and most people on the console will speak one language.

#303 J DawgMillenium, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  4. Spawn of Saltine

It bothers me that they are releasing the console around christmas, but re-releasing some games that come out earlier.. I play the **** out of FIFA games and since they release in the fall (like most games), I don't want to have to buy fifa14 for the 360 and the xb1 if I get it :(

5. Security

Security Ancient

then just buy it for one console

6. DC

DC Ancient

Made up my mind about the xbox one.

I'll treat it like an iphone.

Let it release, wait for the initial problems to be fixed, and decide if I want it then.

Still have the iphone 4.

7. PacMonster1

PacMonster1 Senior Member

The "80 per cent" was taken right from the site as was the population of England. I don't know what actual specifics go into that "80%" that the site listed but according to the site, 21 million households have an internet connection which according to England's census information is not 80% of it's population (which is a little over 53 million people for just England).

That 80% might be the amount of households that have internet out of all the houses capable of having it.

#307 PacMonster1, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  8. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

I think the confusion is people vs. households. 53 million people don't all have individual homes.

9. PacMonster1

Good point. Anyway, my point is simply that Microsoft made a calculated decision to severely limit its potential consumer pool because they wanted to please publishers while making it easier to transition to fully digital distribution models in the future. If I had to guess I'd say Microsoft feels that losing the money from potential consumers that won't buy the One due to its restrictions will be compensated by making more money in the future from the consumer base it does get to buy the game. What this means to gamers is most likely a price increase or extra fee somewhere down the road while Microsoft tries to fill the revenue gap.

10. Zero Point

Zero Point Promethean

#310 Zero Point, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  11. Aschur

Aschur Wubba lubba dub dub

Thats nice to hear.

12. cluckinho

cluckinho Well Known

Yeah good stuff. Now I'd like to see a pure gaming version of the console for $400 and I'll buy it.

13. PacMonster1

And with this news I'm happy again. Not sure the extra 100 bucks is needed but I'll pay it as long as Microsoft keeps the user friendly policies in place

14. Waterfall

Waterfall Promethean

That is good news indeed. I most likely will not buy it for quite some time after release but it will go on the growing list of things to be releaved about regarding the xbox one and may influence my decision in what console i will buy.

15. stickmanmeyhem

stickmanmeyhem Ancient

There it is. Now the XBO is a platform I may decide to purchase sometime in the future. MS needed to learn that people like to actually own the things that they buy.

PS4 is still looking slightly better, though, IMO. If I were to only buy one of them (Which, as it stands, I probably won't even buy either) I'd probably stick with PS4. It's $100 less due to the lack of gimmicky motion controller (which i'd never use anyway) and the PS+ subscription would, as it stands, be giving me a lot more bang for my buck than an XBL subscription.

While this definitely makes Microsoft look weak, it also shows that they're somewhat willing to listen to their community. (Even if it takes a ridiculously large backlash by a large amount of the consumer market to get them to do so)

16. ♥ Sky

♥ Sky I Beat the old Staff!

You're basically paying the extra 100 for Kinect as the PS4 doesn't come bundled with it's motion control set. So for those who won't use it it'll just be a useless camera bar for an extra 100 buckaroos.

17. Oli The G

Oli The G Forerunner

Mentioned on MS home page. It's true.

What I find HILARIOUS is that

a) People are whinging because you now cannot lend people downloaded games, which was apparantly bad.
    b) PS4 now has more DRM protection that XB1. Which will be ignored.

18. Aschur

Aschur Wubba lubba dub dub

That is incorrect. PS4 has the same drm policy, that it is up to publishers to decide. Microsoft didnt abolish its drm, just its mandatory online and used games policies.

19. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

Oh thank God, now I can look forward to Halo 5 without worrying about buying in to MS's bullshit and basically telling them that such policies are OK with another sale.

20. ChronoTempest

ChronoTempest Senior Member

The sharing of downloaded games was one of the only things One had going for it, previously.
    My concern is how the fact that an internet connection is no longer required will affect cloud computing, assuming that cloud computing was a way to lessen the processing burden of the hardware itself by taking on some work in the cloud.