Would you want to be an intern at 343?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MrGreenWithAGun, Dec 20, 2015.

1. MrGreenWithAGun

MrGreenWithAGun Forerunner

Apparently I offended some people when I said that there is synergy between Forge Hub and 343 with 343's vision of having interns build maps for their game using the forge. Apparently I got in trouble with the term intern, as someone interpreted my remarks as implying that the people at Forge Hub are inferior to the devs at 343 or other studios (at least that is what I think offended them). But the word intern literally means:

a person who works as an apprentice or trainee in an occupation or profession to gain practical experience, and sometimes also to satisfy legal or other requirements for being licensed or accepted professionally.

When I was in college, I was an intern for the government. I held a top secret clearance and earned a paycheck. Apparently, that is not typical, as an intern doesn't usually receive pay. Regardless, by definition, whether there is pay involved or not, the community cartographers literally were functioning in the role of interns when they went up to 343 a month or two ago.

I can honestly say that I have had several of my maps put into the playlists over the years and I felt that I was working in the role of an intern with Bungie and 343 during those times. I was proud of my accomplishments and would never have had any offensive of someone told me I was acting in the role of an intern.

So I thought I should ask if anyone here finds it offensive to be called an intern?

InvokingTexan likes this.
  2. InvokingTexan

InvokingTexan Legendary

Why would an apprenticeship be misconstrued as an insult, or a personal offense? Even if you don't acquire full employment status at x-company, you're still subjected to an environment that will teach you indispensable knowledge in the industry you applied yourself initially. It would be a tremendous honor to be considered an "intern." But I suppose the prevailing mentality is: go big, or go home. What a tragic state of affairs.

3. Xandrith

Xandrith Promethean
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I am offended.

4. MrGreenWithAGun

5. xxBRYTExx

xxBRYTExx Ancient

Im offended I didnt get to go be an intern and make some maps at 343. More jealous really. Back when I was interning at the engineering firm I work at now I never felt inferior. In fact I was so good they gave me a raise my second week (pain internships are better) as a way to say please dont leave after your internship. So basically Interning is a great way to set up a career. Dont knock it.

6. FuN Fortress

FuN Fortress Forerunner

Yes, I would. I'd do it in an instant since level design has been something I've been into for about seven years now. I'd love to do something I actually like doing instead of having crap entry-level jobs. But, there's not a snowball's chance in Hell of that happening.

7. MrGreenWithAGun

Are you being sarcastic? If you are being honest can you tell me why you are offended? I just don't understand what message my statement is conveying to people who find it offensive.

8. Xandrith

Xandrith Promethean

Yes, I am being sarcastic.

I find the subject of people being offended at being called interns so stupid that the only possible responce was sarcasm. If someone I was talking to became offended at something so dumb then I would either hit them (because I care) or question my decision to talk to them in the first place.

Psychoduck and Chronmeister like this.
  9. Doju

Doju Promethean

I dont care for the argument of intern.

What I do care is you insulting Forge Hub and its members on another community site, ironically a site that hardly views Forge in a great light You knew what you were doing and implying Forge Hub is some site where people just bend over and do whatever 343 pleases. The only reason youre back posting here is because you got banned for your stupid comments. Thats what people are annoyed about.

As for the intern stuff, its community content. It exists in dozens of other games. Hell, some of the best work comes from the community. Ive seen your posts where you think forge is merely a tool so 343 doesnt have to do any work.

Building forge takes a lot longer than to build a map, so that point is pretty redundant.

10. cookies4you

cookies4you Halo 3 Era

This.

If anyone's wondering, the person MrGreen "offended" was me. The posts are gone now, but I'm 99% certain that he isn't as innocent as he's making himself to be. Hell, he even had a chance to explain himself, but he decided to troll instead, pretty much confirming a malicious intent towards this community.

11. MrGreenWithAGun

I see.

So Doju, you made up your mind on this. There isn't any chance

..that I was complimenting FH having a good relationship with 343

..that I actually believed that he was sarcastic telling me that he was offended at my implications toward FH

..that I played along with "well.. maybe" which is not normal speech and in my mind could only be taken as sarcasm

..that after his next post I realized he really was offended so my follow up post was clearly serious asking why he was offended

None of that could be true so there isn't anything to discuss further?

My comment was FH is in a good position. That could only be construed as kudos.

I am seriously at a loss to understand where you are coming from. The only jab here is at 343 for their over reliance on the community work rather than putting out an otherwise expected quantity of product.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 22, 2015 ---
    So back to my question. Is anyone offended at being called an intern for 343?

#11 MrGreenWithAGun, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  12. MrGreenWithAGun

Or maybe I should ask how was my comment offensive?

13. cookies4you

cookies4you Halo 3 Era

My original comment was: "At this rate ForgeHub is gonna get more dev interaction in a day than TB got in a year."

You quoted me, and your comment went something like: "ForgeHub fits 343's view of interns making free maps for them. TB doesn't fit 343's view of what competitive Halo looks like."

By using the word "intern", you were implying that ForgeHub only gets dev interaction because the community bends over for 343. Furthermore, your wording makes it sounds like 343 has no idea what they're doing regarding competitive, and you're trashing ForgeHub even more by your previous association. But, none of this proved anything alone.

Next, I asked if you really meant those implications. You replied not with yes or no, but "maybe". This isn't a case of you not knowing, you intentionally chose to withhold your answer. That was the moment your comment became offensive, when you started toying with those allegations.

Imagine that there's a two sober, non-mentally impaired men talking to each other. One man makes a small mention about some murders, and the other asks if he's ever killed anyone. He replies with a vague "maybe", and hearing that, the other man tips off a nearby police officer who heard the entire conversation, and the first man is arrested on suspicion. The man remains quiet, but when he's finally interrogated, he admits that he was just kidding around, but is slapped with a ticket for wasting the police department's time.

In the man's case, he thinks that his punishment is unfair, because after all, he didn't actually commit any crimes. But, the entire situation is his own fault. He could've easily avoided it by saying "no" or simply answering with very clear sarcasm. By being vague, he brought suspicion onto himself.

14. MrGreenWithAGun

As I said above, your post came across as sarcasm. I couldn't imagine you were serious. So I said "well.. maybe.." just to play along with you.

For the life of me I can't imagine how you can come to the conclusion that the synergy between 343 and FH could imply forgers bend over backwards for 343. Given that 343 has chosen a path of making Forge 5 a dev quality toolset forgers are given a higher bar to meet if they want to get maps into the playlists. This makes it more challenging and rewarding. And the interactions with 343 here show that forgers like this vision a lot.

I won't get into my thoughts of my comments about BE in comparison here. It isn't my concern to discuss that.

15. Doju

Doju Promethean

Forgers like the vision that forge improved a lot, well no **** Sherlock!

I've seen you make snide remarks about here before, your comments insulting us got you banned there, it was very obvious what you were implying. I don't agree with their over moderation but let's not pretend you were being condescending to fellow forgers on a site that is hardly forge friendly.

16. Doju

Doju Promethean

I saw them before they were removed. I don't think they were ban worthy but very poor form from green.

17. MrGreenWithAGun

As I said you made up your mind what I implied. I can't tell you otherwise. Talk over.

18. Doju

Doju Promethean

Yes I've made up my mind because

1- I'm not stupid, I saw what you read
    2-you've done it before
    3-your reasoning for doing it makes no sense

Also, forge is a community tool. Community content is what helps games. In your logic, you'd say mine craft was lazy.

We aren't going to ban you like they did but it would be beneficial for you to actually contribute in a more productive manner. The 343 forgers are on here actively, take advantage of that.