WIP - Train

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by cookies4you, Jan 16, 2015.

1. cookies4you

cookies4you Halo 3 Era

https://account.xbox.com/en-us/game...uid&scid=03a80100-9ff3-46ea-be76-e00e7fe465df

A near-completely symmetrical map.

It's called Train because a Cargo Container is conveyer belted through the middle of the map. If you're not careful, it'll push you into the death barrier.

Both bases have their own battlements, and those battlements serve as single-way entrances into the enemy base. Of course, someone skilled in grenade jumping can also climb these entrances, but it's much easier to simply take another route. Alternatively, players can forgo access to the enemy base and simply jump to the middle to retrieve the lone Energy Sword.

Currently, the map works with Slayer and KOTH. I plan to get it working with all game-types in the future, especially Assault and CTF.

I've clocked in at around 620 items with minimal FPS issues (thank you Hammer editor experience), so I'm due for some optimization later. I'm actually afraid that I might not have enough items for the other game-types.

Weapon List:
    - Energy Sword
    - Battle Rifle x2
    - Brute Plasma Rifle x2
    - Magnum x2
    - Needler x2
    - Plasma Grenade x4
    - Plasma Pistol x2

And yes, you can jump on the train.

#1 cookies4you, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Chopper Greg

Chopper Greg Forerunner

Just looking over your video, the first thing that occurs to me, is faint resemblance to the old arcade video game "Frogger".

Which gives me the idea, of fighting on and around multiple lines of moving objects. I don't have an X1 yet, so I can't forge in H2A, but I appreciate the idea.

That part out of the way, the map looks interesting, but the long empty vertical space on either end, seams at odds with the rest of the map. Great from the standpoint of dropping down on people below, but getting back up or fighting against someone up their appears to be very problematic, giving a significant height advantage - might actually be unbalancing.

3. cookies4you

cookies4you Halo 3 Era

I got some tips from Chronmeister and Gopher a bit back and did a few revisions. You can now climb back up to the top from the bottom. The hallways are mainly for players who spawn on the bottom floor and want to avoid higher battles or are trying to get the plasma grenades.

If you avoid the container, you can get cover by staying underneath the platform and get inside of the enemy base through the bottom.

4. purely fat

purely fat The Fattest Forger
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Not feeling all the 45 degree ramps.

Chronmeister likes this.
  5. cookies4you

cookies4you Halo 3 Era

I switched out most of them on my last update. Now there's only two, leading up to the highest area, and only because I couldn't make any room to get rid of them without shifting the map.

The spawn is now safe and snug with 22.5 degree ramps.

Edit. I have shifted the map and gotten rid of all 45 degree ramps.

#5 cookies4you, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  6. G043R

G043R Ancient

After the 45* ramps were changed it flows better. I think the only 45* You did leave were on the tier 3 ramp up, they work there a little better to allow an unsual engagement. That area needs it since that area is all close in fight. The players taking that path way should feel a tad safer once they make it to the spawn area in that level. Just my take on it check it out.. and add some Pics bro...

7. cookies4you

cookies4you Halo 3 Era

The Xbox One doesn't do screenshots yet, unfortunately. I replaced the T3 ramp with two 22.5s already. I managed to do it without shifting the map too much.

8. purely fat

purely fat The Fattest Forger
    Forge Critic Senior Member

If you stream to twitch you can screen cap, but that is it. I honestly like the videos more anyways.