WIP: Shurima

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by xdemption, Jan 12, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReclaimerX22

ReclaimerX22 Promethean

Yeah I know there are other windows lol, I just thought they'd make for interesting gameplay. But if they can be shot through like Goat said, I can see why they'd need to be changed. I hope that gets fixed though, that's even worse than the cylinders with collision issues.

As for the grenades, that's a good point, I'll have to remember that. I agree that some of the invisible blockers seem unnecessary and was curious as to Demption's reason for putting them there. Like the ones next to Storm Rifle and on the ledge to the right side (looking toward mid) outside of the Railgun room. I figured they might have been there to help with clambering but clambering seems to work fine without them.

2. xdemption

xdemption ATN
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Now id love to fix all this but xbox live has officially hit the shitter and i cant do anything now.

3. xdemption

xdemption ATN

found out that only happens in forge and not in custom games, so im all good

4. VwS Executioner

VwS Executioner Sweaty Online Warrior

Yea I agree with most but the window part I think maybe the storm rifle could be every 45secs the OV 180 and railgun every 120 but overral it's a good map also there's some trick jumps that I added to this map let's see if anyone's smart & clever enough to find them :) ( some spots xdemption added invis ledges to aswell to clamber on for a trick jump )

5. Blaze

Blaze Sustain Designer
    Forge Critic Creative Force Senior Member

I played a game on this the other day. It looks beautiful. Very readable and simple aesthetically. However, the gameplay was far from good in my opinion. I didn't have a good time at all. But the things I found to be unenjoyable are pretty easy fixes and I think it will significantly improve the experience.

Okay.... So about all the railings. Literally every engagement I got into that I wanted to get away I got snagged on railings that seemed to have been pointless or caught in the air before I could even get over them. This also results in the bottom of the map being very under utilized. Removing the railings would both promote movement with dropping down and make it easier for you to have engagements between floors. The only time I had been on the bottom i was just getting my way back up and didn't even have the chance to contest an area from the bottom or someone that was sharing the bottom with me.

The only other thing that I noticed was that there is a random killboundry on the rock route behind one of the structures. I assume you're not supposed to be able to get back there but it sure looks like you should.

I'd like to eventually get some more games on the map but there's some feedback to go off of for now.

Zombievillan likes this.
  6. leegeorgeton

leegeorgeton Forerunner

So beautiful. I hope it ends up playing as well as it looks. Great job.

7. Preacher001

Preacher001 Forerunner

As a forger, I think this map is designed to piss me off. As a player, Woot!

xdemption likes this.
  8. Zombievillan

Zombievillan Ancient

What Blaze said. One thing I didn't understand was the area I think blaze is talking about. It has a railing with some rocks behind it and you have an invisible blocker keeping you in the map but you had it low enough that you could clamber it. I was in forge so idk if you can clamber it in customs but I don't think it's cool for people to clamber & levitate in mid air. Well it's cool but not in a competitive aspect.

xdemption likes this.
  9. xdemption

xdemption ATN

Behind red tower I did only leave a timed kill boundry for those who want to create a sneaky flank around red nest, just to see what happens. As for the railings in certain areas I might lower them or remove them entirely (Green and Pink window was my thoughts on that) truthfully I put railings there to help force engagements on the bottom of the map and to assist flanking. The bottom of the map (in all testing I've done thus so far) has seen about 30-35% of the action so as to the bottom being under utilized I wouldn't be so sure. However, certain railings I have will remain as they allow blind spots for the lower areas for flanking, allowing the bottom areas to be safer from the upper levels and certain angles.

As for the invisible boundry I have removed them entirely in version Shurman 1.2 (lol). many changes have been made since the beta 1 and I would like that version to be tested instead. I need testing done on spawning and possible gander at the spawns more versed than I am would be nice.

10. Blaze

Blaze Sustain Designer

It's just one persons opinion anyway. I'd really like to play a version without some of the railings even though I do understand your intention behind them.

11. Preacher001

Preacher001 Forerunner

Fortunately you have forge too. Have at it.

12. Blaze

Blaze Sustain Designer

Not my map. Just elaborating my excitement for an improved future version.

13. Preacher001

Preacher001 Forerunner

@Blaze True but as the OP stated they have their reasons for leaving it as is. I've also made requests from map creators in the past but when they showed no interest I just tried it out on my own. I feel It's always good to reinforce how easy it is to tweak user created content to peoples personal taste. There are people that may only pop on to FH to read about and play the maps but then wish that a few things were different. Some pester the creators for ages without ever once thinking "oh, hey , I can do this myself". Since your already familiar with this stuff, and poking at my pet peeve, I made an example of you :p

xdemption and Blaze like this.
  14. Blaze

Blaze Sustain Designer

This is going to start to get off topic, so I apologize. I hardly have time to play other people's stuff when I am able to get in as I am juggling learning maya, creating maps for regales, forging my own maps, testing the hell out of them and working with my product team. All with my few hours of free time I have during the week. This leaves me with even less time to just play for fun, which I actually don't do. So when I play other people's stuff, it's literally to provide feedback on how to make the map generally better, in my opinion. I also need to realize I am one of few people who are doing this because of a future career and not simply to make maps for fun. And because of that, the map doesn't really NEED to always play good, in my eyes or at all for that matter. I forget that sometimes and assume if they post it, that they want to make the experience generally more fun for the players.

But like I've implied. "Good" is subjective, I'm simply suggesting changes that would be more player friendly from my limited experience on the map.

#34 Blaze, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    Preacher001, a Chunk and xdemption like this.
  15. xdemption

xdemption ATN

About ready to do a final testing session for Shurima, I am at the final construction phase of the map and all I need to do is adjust spawning and try to get any final critiques from fellow forgers and proceed to the official posting. Any help would be appreciated.

PippySaid and WAR like this.
  16. Zombievillan

Zombievillan Ancient

What color are you using for white? I don't think it's white.

17. PippySaid

PippySaid Ancient

If you're ever doing custom games testing I would love to join and play it! It looks great!

18. xdemption

xdemption ATN

its white alright, just the lighting makes it decieving plus the matte is turned all the way up on the pieces

#38 xdemption, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  19. Zombievillan

Zombievillan Ancient

Hmm, well for me white is showing as a lighting gray, can't get true white.

20. ReclaimerX22

ReclaimerX22 Promethean

The white balance will probably look different based on the skybox and lighting setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.