Mini-Game Winter's Fury

Discussion in 'Halo 4 Archive' started by sheehy1023, Jan 27, 2013.

1. sheehy1023

sheehy1023 Forerunner

Winter's Fury
    Can you escape your frozen fate?​

History: My name is sheehy1023, and this is a puzzle map called Winter's Fury. I made puzzles back in Halo 3 called the Terror series which were weak compared to others standards. Some of those puzzle had bright spots in them, but not many. I then moved on to Reach where I began to up my standards and created a challenging puzzle called Rising Falls. Unfortunately, I didn't find completing the challenges fun, but the difficultly and creativity were there. I then got bored of forging before I decided to make some more puzzles. These were Temples that were more focused around exploring and fun challenges to complete. I enjoyed making these and had fun playing them as well. So now, I got Halo 4 and wanted to combined the difficulty and fun aspect into one awesome puzzle. That is the history behind Winter's Fury.

Story: You are a facility worker inside a factory on a cold planet. Before you are ready to return home, a cave in happens and you are stuck inside of a cave. You build a fire for warmth but realize you must escape. Using the tools lying around the facility, you can progress farther until the end is in sight. Can you escape, or will you get lost in Winter's Fury?

Basics: Winter's Fury requires the game type Dugout to play. It is a solo puzzle that can be completed by one person. Although you can do it with friends, they will make some challenges easier. The starting class is a magnum with nothing else. This puzzle features mostly logic to complete with only a few jumps and not many hidden items. This is not an easy puzzle, but a veteran puzzle solve should be able to complete it with enough ease. There si a checkpoint system in the map. Every time you see a cone, it signifies a spawn point is blocked by the nearby fusion coil. Some cones you can't see by you can assume they are there with logic. There are five spawns in the game, making the puzzle into five sections. In total, there are about 21 challenges on the map, but some are definitely longer than others. The hardest ones should be closer to the end, but there are some tricky ones in the beginning as well. Last, there are places that makes it look like you can escape. I put kill barriers there so don't think you can just run out halfway through the map. You might also lose some items in doing so and add frustration to your journey.

Pictures: Just figured out how pictures work. Here they are.

Starting Cave
    [​IMG]

Challenge 2
    [​IMG]

Challenge 4
    [​IMG]

THE Jump
    [​IMG]

Checkpoint: The spawns are blocked by explosives near cones. Five spawns on map.
    [​IMG]

Challenge 9
    [​IMG]

Challenge 12
    [​IMG]

Challenge 15
    [​IMG]

Challenge 17
    [​IMG]

The Final Checkpoint
    [​IMG]

Challenge 20
    [​IMG]

Walkthrough: I have been really lazy in posting a walkthrough. For those who could not figure out the puzzle, here you go.

Halo 4 Puzzle: Winter's Fury Walkthrough - YouTube

I guess you can't have two videos in your post so you have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Bonus Challenge: Have you already beaten the map and looking for more? Somewhere on the map there is a folding chair lying around. If you want, try to find it. It can be anywhere on the map.
    [​IMG]

#1 sheehy1023, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
  2. Zatherla

Zatherla Sweet Lemonade

Sheehy, this map was amazing. My cousin and I spend a good few hours toying our way through the map. It was wonderful. It was not too difficult, and we loved it. The banshee part with the detonator was great. The spawning was magnificent, the warthog run was awesome, everything, well done. Keep it up.

3. sheehy1023

sheehy1023 Forerunner

Glad you enjoyed it, also pictures are posted for those who want to see more of the map

4. Ticky

Ticky Forerunner

I know this is a super bump, but I just completed your puzzle last night, and I really enjoyed it. Most of the puzzles were unique and some were tough (AR room I was like wut, that was genious). The spawn system didn't work all the time, but I realize you can't completely control that. Very nice puzzle overall, hope to see more from you and if you need testers hit me up.

EDIT: There was one thing I did that I'm pretty sure wasn't supposed to happen:
    On the challenge with the soccer ball, challenge 15 I believe, I did it without the ball. I simply jumped over the killzone onto a farther bridge. Also the mantis part, I just shot the barricade over the gap and jumped on it with the mantis to get to the top, not sure if that's what you're supposed to do.

#4 Ticky, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  5. sheehy1023

sheehy1023 Forerunner

I have been real lazy in uploading a walkthrough for this puzzle, but I finally have! If you got stuck or want to know how to beat this puzzle, watch this video.

I also plan to post a walkthrough for Volcano Canyon as well, so check that out too.

#5 sheehy1023, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
  6. Dirt Zombi

Dirt Zombi Promethean

Really wicked good puzzle map bro, first one ive played really worth playing. I would be honored if you checked out mine.

7. Dirt Zombi

Dirt Zombi Promethean

Sheehy, I think i may have broke your map at one point near the second soccerball section. If you care lemme know, I will PM you in detail.

8. ahbleza

ahbleza Promethean

lol now let me tell you about this map real quick... its fun and challenging. I think though the spawns were kind of glitched, i made it by the soccer ball down the ramp just by dying idk if thats what was supposed to happen or not. Other than that it had very original puzzles and wasn't too hard.