Will MLG ever be nationally televised?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by lefty0904, Jul 8, 2009.

1. SargeantSarcasm

SargeantSarcasm In Loving Memory

It was on Spike TV ages ago.

2. SecretSchnitzel

SecretSchnitzel Donald Trump
    Forge Critic Senior Member

A part of me is already dead from knowing rotten little shits can make a living off something as dumb as Halo or CoD. I can handle SC2 being a sport as that truly is an amazing game with a massive and calculated skill gap, but Halo...? Come on.

I would love to see MLG turn into another SC2 league, drop the rest of their games, and laugh at all the kids cry as they have to grow up and get real jobs. :p

3. jameslieb1

jameslieb1 Ancient

Tbh, I think the whole idea of considering MLG a "sport" is rather silly.

Edit: Wait, why was this thread revived? O_O

#23 jameslieb1, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  4. RoboArtist

RoboArtist Forerunner

Not tryin to be mean, but wait till the older generation die out and the newer generation takes over... Then it most likely will, taking note that most teenagers nowadays are devoting their life to em. Like me :D

5. BASED GOD

BASED GOD Ancient
    Banned

mlg is the worst form of professional video games

6. SecretSchnitzel

SecretSchnitzel Donald Trump
    Forge Critic Senior Member

How so? Can you make a supporting argument to this statement?
    In actuality, MLG is in very good standing as a professional video game league. How so? Because it's proven to be a viable, sustainable and profitable business venture. Isn't it the concept of profit that drives professional sports to begin with? I mean, when you take money out of the equation it becomes nothing more than a simple hobby or pass-time.

7. ThrowinDemBows

ThrowinDemBows Takoyaki?

Hahaha! I love seeing Trolls getting trolled.

#27 ThrowinDemBows, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  8. WWWilliam

WWWilliam Forerunner

MLG has been on TV I think that's been established but as a major sport to be watched weekly like Football. It hasn't

People who are interested in MLG have the internet so MLG hangs around the internet, TV costs money/Internet is cheap I don't see any reason for MLG to venture onto TV in the near future.
    Only thing i can think of is seeing it on TV would some how legitimize MLG for some people.

9. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

This is basically what Sundance (CEO of MLG) said. They've tried TV but it involves a lot of work, even sacrifice on their part (they had to agree to not put the Friday Night Kickoff on the website when it was on ESPN) for not much advantage. The thing about it being an inherently internet based media form is bang on, as the vast majority of the demographic is already looking to the internet for their content anyway.

Iirc Sundance said that they might shoot for TV again soon, but with the fact that they're continuously pushing internet distribution further I can see why they're keen to focus on that.