Sandbox Whomp's Fortress ( Super Mario 64 )

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Aesthetic Maps' started by Doomsdale, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Doomsdale

Doomsdale Ancient

Whomp's
    Fortress

For full effect, listen to this while reading the thread: Music

[​IMG]

Description
    I've always wanted to remake a level from Super Mario 64. I wanted to do Bomb-omb Battlefield, but seeing as how big that was, I didn't do it. So I chose the next best level. Now it may not be exactly to scale or shape (I wasn't able to fit in a slope in the back, but it didn't really make that much of a difference). I set it to work on all gametypes, but that doesn't mean it will work. I'd imagine that this would be good for up to ten people. I made this for the nostalgia effect. Hopefully this will remind you of all the good things the past had as we move on to Halo Reach.

[​IMG]
    Back side

[​IMG]
    Tower

[​IMG]
    Random Platform over pond

Here-a we go!
    .:Whomp's Fortress:.

#1 Doomsdale, Aug 8, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  2. Dulden

Dulden Forerunner

Nice map! Looks pretty good, enough merging and stuff. I remember those days too. Pretty accurate. You should make a game type for it.

3. voicelock

voicelock Forerunner

awesome map, the only disappointment was there was no king whomp at the top trying to smush me

PS i found the rocket launcher you hid inside the map

4. ShortKidPena

ShortKidPena Ancient

I just had a total flashback to the days when I played this. One thing that would be cool would be to maybe hide a teleporter on its side in below the "Pole" and send the people down a level? maybe? Well anyway total nostalgia and a great recreation of the original map. Also what would have been nice but not totally necessary would be to have just one small block floating where the blue thwomps would usually be. GREAT RECREATION

5. Cheeze

Cheeze <FONT COLOR="#FE2EC8"><b>I Beat the Staff!</b></FO

This is friggen amazing. The accuracy is dead on, besides the thwomps and Pirrannah plants, And the owl.

And is it sad that I remember that WHOLE song?

6. jameslieb1

jameslieb1 Ancient

1 word...
    FEATURE

This map really gives me flashbacks to the good ol' days of Mario 64. Whomp's Fortress was one of my favorite worlds in the game, and this is such an accurate recreation of it. 5/5.

Also, I actually enjoyed the thread more when I played the music, no joke. :p

#6 jameslieb1, Aug 8, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  7. Flak

Flak Forerunner

I've never played the original game, but I googled some screenies and this looks pretty damn close. Beautiful merging, outstanding accuracy. You just got yourself a DL. (As soon as I get back to my Xbox...)

8. Doomsdale

Doomsdale Ancient

lulz I hoped no one would find it. I couldn't delete it without being unable to respawn it due to the budget glitch.

9. Meltyourtv

Meltyourtv Ancient

It looks good. The music made a nice touch to the thread, haha.

I've only played Mario 64 for the DS, but it seems similar enough to that version.

10. Zow Jr

Zow Jr Forerunner

OMG U freakin made me have a near forgegasm dude! This is the best remake of WHomps fortress ever. I tried to make one but never finished. THis is epic its very accurate and the merging is nice and clean. 10/5

11. MetaWaddleDee

MetaWaddleDee Ancient

Although it doesn't look correct scale-wise, I love the idea!

And did you add the teleporter?

12. Doomsdale

Doomsdale Ancient

Which teleporter?

13. MetaWaddleDee

MetaWaddleDee Ancient

#13 MetaWaddleDee, Aug 9, 2010
  14. Doomsdale

Doomsdale Ancient

Of the entire 14 years that game has been out, I have never heard of that teleporter. *checks original game* Crap...it is in it. I was looking for one too in order to make it more alike, but never found one. Thanks for pointing it out, although it is too late to add it. (Budget glitch won't allow me to place more).

EDIT: I updated the map to set up an assault variant. I'm not too good at gametypes, so you can make one youselves, although one bomb should work fine.

#14 Doomsdale, Aug 9, 2010
  15. Zow Jr

Zow Jr Forerunner

Ooooh I haz the best gametype idea for this map. Its teh be Juggernaut game. The name is Mario's quest. One player starts as Mario and the other players start as Goombas and Mario can take three hits but moves slower than the goombas and jumps higher. He must reach all the destination points (random or sequenced) To win. I think 10 points is not to shabby. No points for killing Mario or getting kills as mario, you get points for the destinations. Everyone starts with swords. Mario is red and Gooomba's are brown. Trust me it seems really fun for this map. I will DL as soon as my B net profile gets working. (come on stupid thing work!) Xl

16. xSoGx Grim

xSoGx Grim Commander

Ya, I agree with many people who have posted above, this definitely brings back a LOT of old memories!! And playing the music while looking at the thread was a perfect idea. This is a major success all around, I think you have touched many people on forgehub with this map. The merging is spot on and you even got the falling bridge down! I am constantly fighting with the 100 custom content limit, but this my friend will always have its own spot on my drive. I respect your choice of aesthetic thread for this map, and wish you the best of luck in future forging.

17. Jzadek

Jzadek Forerunner

Definitely downloading this. Mario 64 remains hands-down the best platformer ever made... Just looking at the pictures gives me a sense of nostalgia, I can't wait to play the map.