what do you guys like to see in a slayer map?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by o2oGodsMistake, Jan 25, 2008.

1. o2oGodsMistake

o2oGodsMistake Ancient

I was wondering what type of specific details people like to see in slayer maps since im making one and want to see exactly what types of things people would like to see in slayer maps.

2. Gravedigger5454

Gravedigger5454 Ancient

An original, and well done, map design. Weapon balance throughout. Variety in the look of the map and what each part of the map is; there should be some areas with cover, and some without. No spawns should be in open areas that could be spawn killed. Regardless of where a player is on the map, and what weapon they have, there should be at least three ways to get to them, and three ways to kill them. Try to design the map to work well with the vehicles, if possible.

3. Wakko45

Wakko45 Ancient

Grave summed up most of it. Also make sure that there are minimal camping spots or give a weakness to that spot; fusion coil.

4. Soviet Skibum

Soviet Skibum Ancient

Bah @ fusion coil idea.

Have power weapons far from camping spots and in easy to see areas.

5. The Jon B

The Jon B Ancient

This is my approach as well. You want that camping spot? You gotta earn it. You can grab that sniper rifle in the middle of the map, but you probably ain't gonna make it to the perch.

6. kylor

kylor Ancient

no shotguns near shield walls

7. Gravedigger5454

Gravedigger5454 Ancient

Of course, and those shield walls need to be placed right, which means they can't be camped.

8. o2oGodsMistake

o2oGodsMistake Ancient

Im not adding shield walls I find them really unfair in a way its rigged, you cant kill the person bcuz you need to reload and they go through the door and all of a suddenly they have a close range weapon that you didnt see them have and you get screwed when you get in. I think in a slayer game you should think how you play and decide how your going to run away if you have too.

9. milez per hour

milez per hour Ancient

Symectrical, no sheild doors, and no easy camping spots.

10. Nate the Gate

Nate the Gate Ancient

I think that the most important thing in any map is a weakness for every strength. That way the game doesn't end up being whoever gets the ultimate advantage first wins. Examples:

Shotgun is stong, so put it in a wide open place where it's easy to get killed, maybe in the sights of a turret.

Place a turret in a place where it's easy enough to sneak up behind and take out the person on the turret.

Like everyone has mentioned, put camping weapons away from camping spots, but I wouldn't take camping spots out completely.

You know, stuff like that.

11. Stolenpoo

Stolenpoo Ancient

Balanced weapons and FLOW. too many dead ends kill a map not just the people playing on it

12. MagicalMonkey93

MagicalMonkey93 Ancient

Multiple floors, balanced weapon placement, balanced cover and open spaces and aesthetics.

13. o2oGodsMistake

o2oGodsMistake Ancient

14. The Jon B

The Jon B Ancient

I don't agree that you should completely remove shield doors from a map. The sentiment that the shotgun or hammer or sword shouldn't be near the shield door is a good one, and I fully agree, but shield doors are awesome. They can add a lot of intensity to the gameplay if they're placed well or if the map is setup to use them effectively. I know some of my maps would fall flat without a couple of well-placed shield doors.

They also work great with infection gametypes, IMO.

15. Kapura

Kapura Ancient

For me: Cover, rockets and POWER UPS!

I think all good slayer maps have these glowing balls of win.

16. Ray Benefield

Ray Benefield Godly Perfection
    Forge Critic

Make it unique, make it balanced, give a reason to keep on moving... for example... in "The Labyrinth" no matter how much you want to camp... you don't cuz it leaves you vulnerable from atleast 3 fronts. And the sniper tower... hard to be good there, cuz the area is so open. Rockets are in an out of the way place... shotgun has no spare clips, etc. The only weapon that I regret putting in it's spot is the plasma pistol. Noone grabs it...

17. SPOC

SPOC Ancient

I'd like to see something that has never EVER been done before.

18. Lemonyguy47

Lemonyguy47 Ancient

Asymmetrical maps are better (and im not talking about gametype symmetry i mean whether or not each side of the map is an exact opposite of eachother) because they make games different other time rather then having everyone do the same thing every time the respawn. Also try not to make it so that theres a power weapon in the center that everybody just tries to fight over... make there a bunch of really good weapons (different ones) all around the map rather then just one power weapon... limit camping spots and try not to make a central point where 90% of all the killing occurs (goes along with the power weapon in the center) dont make it too easy for people to run and hide when they are being owned but dont make it too easy for them too be owned either... place certain equpiment and weapons in effective places where they are useful (liek a shotgun in a smaller area and a sniper in a higher area with a good view) and most of all have effective spawn placement... spawning is a biggie... also dont make it too vehicley... i hate people that just go for the vehicles everytime while everyone else is trying to play a fair and fun game rather then be cheep just to win...

- Lemon :squirrel_rubberduck:

19. JediWithASniper

JediWithASniper Ancient

I like very non symmetrical game types, where the map is not completely balanced. It isn't very unbalanced, but just enough that you are trying to fight for their position, and they are trying to defend it.

20. Mostfoozy

Mostfoozy Ancient

A symetrical one, but balence the weapons, give one side a weapon spawn, make sure to give the other side the same weapon, in a similar spot :squirrel_grouphug: