What Are You Working On?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by ForgeHub, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Goat

Goat Rock Paper Scissors Scrap
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I personally think the ability to come up with an interesting and creative design is more valuable - and versatile - than the ability to manipulate the editor in interesting ways. I'm a better Forger than I am a designer, but as a designer I'm always getting better.

I think you're one of the best designers in the community. Even if you didn't have anymore creative bones left, you could still get through the game by learning the ways of 4chubbing.

2. Goat

You're going to make Schnitzel drink?
    [​IMG]

3. Aschur

Aschur Wubba lubba dub dub

This I want to see
    [​IMG]

4. A Hungry Dino

A Hungry Dino Promethean

That looks fantastic. The layout is simple and flows nicely from the looks of it. My only suggestion is to change the tree from a Glacier tree to an Alpine tree since there is no other indication of snow inside your map. The snowy tree sticks out like a sore thumb unless you add a light snowfall effect.

It looks pretty nice. I like the asthetic touches throughout the map. Have you considered making this map for infection once it comes out? I get more of an infection feel to the map than a competitive feel based on your video. You should definitely test infection on it once it drops as I'm sure just a few tweaks to the layout of the map would make it shine with infection.

Xandrith likes this.
  5. Goat

Trapezoids are such good pieces, but the lighting glitches are really annoying

Xandrith likes this.
  6. SecretSchnitzel

SecretSchnitzel Donald Trump

Nah, I'm in the Skyline apartments off Arapahoe. Dope place.

7. SloppyBottom

SloppyBottom Recruit

M0aHerder, a Chunk and Xandrith like this.
  8. M0aHerder

M0aHerder Forerunner

Very early preview of my next big project while I work on balancing Spearhead. Figured out just recently that Paralax is the perfect size for a space battle maps with to-scale ships, which is something I've always wanted to do but never had the space/parts for. But now that I do, I'm working on a to-scale UNSC Frigate versus a Covenant CRS-class light cruiser.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure what I'm going to do for the UNSC flying vehicle. I'll probably give both sides Banshees (and possibly a Phaeton or two) for now, and replace those on the UNSC side with whatever vehicle 343i ends up adding when they do so.

I might also use these ships, once I'm done with this map, to create maps set within each one. Which doesn't necessarily have to wait until I finish the ships, it will just be easier for me to figure out an accurate layout with the full-scale ships at my disposal.

thefro3po, Xandrith and SloppyBottom like this.
  9. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist
    Forge Critic Wiki Contributor Senior Member

Looks solid. My main concern, just based on a walkthrough, would be whether the map can handle the weapons. Rockets are awesome on Damnation, but I they may be too strong on this map, with the fact that it's significantly smaller and more geared toward close quarters combat. I always prefer to push the envelope with weapons though. If it doesn't work it will become obvious pretty quickly, and be easy enough to change.
    Regarding the close quarters combat I mentioned, I wouldn't mind a little more breathing room in a few areas (Sniper is definitely the main one that comes to mind).

SloppyBottom likes this.
  10. SloppyBottom

SloppyBottom Recruit

I'm sure the weapon set will change. I'm definitely open to suggestion.

About the sniper area: do you think there needs to be more space to move around, or are you worried sight lines are too restricted? Or an combination?

I originally had a rough block out at a larger scale but it seemed too large for 2v2. It wasn't my intention to have a cqc focused map, but I realize now the scale change may have tightened some areas too significantly.

11. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist
    Forge Critic Wiki Contributor Senior Member

Both. On Damnation, the Sniper was in a relatively vulnerable position, but had a cross map los, los up into green, and could go a short distance to see all across front shotgun and top red. Pretty much all of that has been lost.

You won't be able to replicate the advantages and disadvantages it had in Damnation, but right now there aren't really any advantages (aside from the obvious one of controlling the Sniper). You're going to pick it up, and then leave the area as fast as possible. Sorry I don't have any specific suggestions, but I would look into either changing that area, or forget about replicating the Sniper placement and just put it somewhere else.

MultiLockOn and SloppyBottom like this.
  12. Aschur

This is one of the things I've been working on for the 2v2.

13. Zombievillan

Zombievillan Ancient

As cool as the breakout stuff looks, I don't think it's a good idea to have the floor AND the walls to have that. It does look cool but it's kinda overwhelming which might not be right for a competitive atmosphere.

14. Yekkou

Yekkou Yellow, but with "kk"s

Very cool concept though. I never realized how reflective breakout pieces were. Like what Zombie said, still looks fantastic and original though.

15. Aschur

Yeah, I'm still working on making it easier to differentiate the floor from walls without changing the floor altogether, I'll find a way though. I don't really like that the blue glow is everywhere, but I can't get rid of that unless I rebuild it without breakout pieces.

Might make the floor glitched like the walls so that they are easier on the eye.

Very reflective. Fun fact; they will reflect whatever your far fog is set to, even if they are completely enclosed and can't physically reflect it, so I had to set far fog to black.

#1955 Aschur, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  16. Suicufnoc

Suicufnoc Ancient

I think I've finished base layout, replacing blockout with more aesthetically pleasing stuff.
    [​IMG]

a Chunk and Aschur like this.
  17. Goat

looked at Goldeaf. Didn't think it would impress me because of how fast you put it out. Some of the rooms feel a bit barren, but the overall simplicity and details colored me surprised.

Sorry guys, @Xandrith is still my favorite Forger.

18. Xandrith

Xandrith Promethean

Still?:D

19. Goat

Think you took the spot from @a Chunk in MCC. @SH1FTY is hot on your heels though and @SecretSchnitzel is on the map now that he isn't working with gray ass blocks.

I'm just really excited to see what everyone does now. It didn't really dawn on me until yesterday just how amazing not having to budget 200 blocks is.

#1959 Goat, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    SecretSchnitzel, a Chunk and Xandrith like this.
  20. Doju

Doju Promethean

None of you have made a stunning looking Damnation yet and that makes me sick.

Edit - Literally just saw Resurrection at the top of the page. FML.

2nd edit - Not quite as close to Dammy as I hoped :(

SecretSchnitzel and MultiLockOn like this.