We Need More BTB Maps

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Ice Pinata, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Marinealver

Marinealver Forerunner

Big team maps would be nice but matchmaking is unfortunatly geared more twords MLG style team slayer, which means small scale no vehicles.

IMHO that is seriously taking out one of the key aspects that set HAL0 multiplayer apart from other shooters. Me I like the tanks, both using and going against. However I will admit the best Big Scale vehicle maps are the ones that give the footslogers a good chance against the onslaught of tanks and aircraft.

2. pyro

pyro The Joker

Fixed

Big team maps are much more difficult to build well because there are more factors involved and the budget seriously limits what you can do. Generally at the end very little budget will be left and adding something requires deleting something else. On top of that there's the problem of vehicles that make everything infinitely more complicated.

#22 pyro, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  3. Oakly HiDef

Oakly HiDef RivalMass

Ive been working on a big team battle map. Its basically a hugeley improved blood gulch that has the feel of Halo 3's Standoff. Both sides now have really defined bases and the map has been beefed up to really look like a battle field. In terms of weapons it is relatively light with only two rocket launchers, two snipers, and two grenade launchers as power weapons. The thing that really makes this map feel like big team is that both sides get 2 warthogs on relatively low respawn times. This means that at any point in the game there will be warthogs rolling around and massive fights taking place. The layout keeps warthogs from being too powerful and allows groups of foot troops to still have a big part in the game.

This is in progress but here are some shots for those interested.

[​IMG]

see spoiler for more
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cannibalghoul

cannibalghoul Forerunner

that looks pretty sexy. are those circular structures in the middle supposed to be generators/reactors? they remind me a bit of the ones from Halo Wars.

those missile batteries are awesome too

#24 cannibalghoul, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  5. Epolixa

Epolixa Forerunner

I'm polishing off a BTB Sandtrap-inspired map at the moment. I'd say it would be released soon, but many people are complaining that the water I've included in the map is problematic, so I'm also going to make a "dry" version of it. May take awhile.

Check it out.

[​IMG]
    On the horizon...

6. J HaDlEy 616

J HaDlEy 616 Ancient

I was looking to do one at some point, I have quite a few ideas but it's just bringing them all together into something that will work and is fun to play on for so many players, can be quite a daunting task. Similar to creating a successful invasion map, getting the balance between game phases is tricky lol, good luck to anyone trying.

7. PacMonster1

PacMonster1 Senior Member

Guys, I'm no moderator so one would have to weigh in but I don't think you can advertise your eventual maps in here. The op wanted to know about the state of BTB maps and why there aren't more in matchmaking or customs. Saying you're making one does not answer their question really.

8. availablemoth

availablemoth Forerunner

I understand I am a little late on the party, but I will go ahead and throw in my opinion. I am new to forgehub. So, I am not sure how this would fair, but could there be a thread just for BTB maps? It can be a very frustrating and daunting task to sift through all those competitive maps to just find a few BTB maps. Now, I am aware that there would not be as many posts as other sections, yet I feel that it could help give another dimension. Just a thought and I'm not even sure if this is the right place to state this.

9. SH1FTY

SH1FTY Talented

10. ScareCrow813

ScareCrow813 Forerunner

i only make BTB map. i have three out and working on three more.
    They are called D-Day, Iwo Jima, Operation: Market Garden, and Agoraphobia.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#30 ScareCrow813, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 28, 2011
  11. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

I just released one recently - Forerunner City. Urban environment, vehicles.

[​IMG]

For the most part though I find myself building smaller maps, no more than 8-10 players typically, because I have very specific map ideas that usually mean building my own floors, walls and ceilings, and that leaves out natural terrain or any hope of making something large scale. Even Forerunner City is a tad small for BTB. I have had some ideas for a full-scale map a la Hemmorhage - might get around to it some day, but then again maybe not.

#31 Nutduster, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011
  12. BlackHand111

BlackHand111 Forerunner

If you're looking for BTB maps, ScareCrow813 usually makes those; he'll more than likely keep putting them up. For example, right now me and him are working on Agoraphobia(there's a map preview of it up right now), and that is a BTB map.

13. ScareCrow813

ScareCrow813 Forerunner

I have just uploaded Agoraphobia. It is more than just BTB. Check the link.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#33 ScareCrow813, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
  14. MrGreenWithAGun

MrGreenWithAGun Forerunner

My first map was an aircraft carrier, that eventually turned into Flight Deck for BTB Forgetacular. It plays every game type from back then. It plays all objective types.

Twin Fields was also designed for 8v8, but also 4v4v4v4 and 2v2v2v2v2v2v2v2, as well as FFA up to 16.

They are more aerial than ground based fighting, but on Flight Deck there is plenty of action within the ship - you can play slayer without ever flying an aircraft on Flight Deck.

I just love large maps that support lots of players. I wish we could play 32 players on a map...

I used to love playing BTB MM, but the maps they have there now from the community are junket, so I won't spend my time there any more.

#34 MrGreenWithAGun, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011