Warfare

Discussion in 'Reach Gametypes' started by Tedium, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Tedium

Tedium Lead Writer

Warfare
    Keep your friends close, but stay the hell away from your enemies!
    They have guns which, like, kill you.

YouTube - reach11396173 42046853 wmv

This gametype was created in order to mix up the game play of Halo: Reach a little more. I've heard and had a lot of problems with how slowly people are killed in Halo. For myself, I have come to accept and understand such a unique mechanic. However, I still enjoy a game where death is not so easily cheated. If an enemy finds you in real life, there is very little chance of you surviving, but with a bit of skill and a bit of luck, you might make it out alive. This is recommended as a team-based slayer variant.

[​IMG]

In Warfare, there are no shields. Damage has been cranked up much higher so that weapons do not only kill quickly, but can still be effective at a longer range. Another big difference in Warfare is that the only weapons on offer are the ones found through respawn load-outs. In real life, there ain't any guns lying around conveniently for a person to take. People are stuck with what they have, so ammunition conservation is vital.

[​IMG]

A variety of weapons are on offer in each load-out, though to keep things balanced the properties of each weapon have been taken into account. Additionally, the average load-out has the drop shield ability. This gives a player a small amount of respite, but not for long. Increased damage decreases the shield's maximum health, so it only gives a player a small bit of help before the shield is gone. Two melee or EMP hits can quickly take down the shield to expose recovering enemies. Here are the five load-outs you have to get familiar with.

Marksman
    Primary: Assault Rifle
    Secondary: Plasma Pistol
    No Grenades
    Drop Shield

Security
    No Grenades
    Sprint

Spec Ops
    1x Each Grenade
    No Armor Ability

Zealot
    Primary: Plasma Repeater
    Secondary: Spiker
    1x Plasma Grenade
    Drop Shield

Ranger
    Primary: Magnum
    Secondary: Energy Sword
    No Grenades
    Sprint

Keep in mind that with the new mechanics of Warfare (i.e. no longer needing to break shields, etc.) some weapons may appear more/less strong than you would expect from a normal game. Small differences between loadouts are actually bigger than you would expect. Take note of these differences and use their perks to counter the advantages of other players.

The plasma weapon loadout offers a difference to the others. For one, the plasma repeater requires less time to kill someone up close, however it takes more time for the slower moving projectiles to hit enemies, making it easier to evade. This means player have a higher chance at winning a one on one encounter up close, but may need more skill from far away. To help balance the loadout further, the player is giving a fully automatic secondary weapon, the spiker. This is more effective than the plasma pistol if the player runs out of battery/ammo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, one last note. Grenades are a key tool in Warfare. You don't need one to explode too far away from anyone for it to kill them. So in short, Warfare gives Reach a whole new atmosphere. Death comes quickly, similar to SWAT, but it rarely comes instantly. I hope you enjoy this game variant, and I hope it helps you have a great time!

#1 Tedium, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. Carter1234

Carter1234 Forerunner

Could you post a vid?

3. Tedium

Tedium Lead Writer

I've been wanting to. I'll see what I can do as soon as possible.

Alright, it's up there.

#3 Tedium, Dec 18, 2010
  4. Zow Jr

Zow Jr Forerunner

Dude this sounds epicly realistic. I guess no evade is cool but my only concern was plazzy weapons. Did you put those in to minimize the number of headshot whores running around with magnums or DMRs?

5. Tedium

Tedium Lead Writer

Even though people have no shields, headshots have been disabled in order to ensure a slow death. Only one load-out has a headshot capable weapon anyway, and even then it's just a magnum. Funnily enough it is actually a very strong weapon in Warfare, requiring only three shots to kill someone (Similar to Call of Duty)

As for the weapons, I've revised the system and will update as soon as that's up. Balance has been fine-tuned so that only small differences are between each loadout, though each holds it's own unique perk. The plasma launcher will be scrapped because it is actually too hard to kill someone with it. Again, an update will come soon.

Oh, by the way. Loved your boss battle, Zow. I can tell you've got some pretty fun ideas.

#5 Tedium, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  6. Hogframe

Hogframe Ancient

Are you sure giving everyone two grenades (four for Spec-Ops) was a good idea? Grenade spam in Reach is already bad enough. The only two outcomes of doing this is either 1) Grenades are spammed more than the actual weapons meaning giving people less grenades wouldn't hurt, or 2) People die too fast to use up all their grenades, meaning that giving people less grenades wouldn't change anything for the worse.

7. Tedium

Tedium Lead Writer

Yeah Haris, that was an issue adressed and fixed in the updated version. Although there wasn't too much grenade spamming, most grenades were not used. They ended up being less of a commodity than what I was wanting. Anyway, that is a change which has been updated on the main thread now.

#7 Tedium, Dec 19, 2010
  8. P1MPxSLaSH

P1MPxSLaSH Forerunner

I made a gametype called Warfare in Halo 3 based off of Modern Warfare gameplay where you die faster as well. everyone loved it and this should be a hit as well. I would strongly recommend playing on (good) Modern Warefare 2 remake maps and using the DMR. the gametype looks fantastic

9. Tedium

Tedium Lead Writer

What a coincidence! I'm sure the concept isn't too hard to think up, but I guess it's all down to how well it's set up. I figure that with Reach's loadout system and armor abilities, there is more room fir variation between players, just like CoD. I hadn't found any gametypes like this for Reach elsewhere, so I figured I'd make one myself. A lot of my maps work well with the warfare gametype, and I wanted to put this link in to suggest a suitable slayer variant. Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys.

10. Rusty Keyes

Rusty Keyes Ancient

Looks like a pretty fun gametype. I agree that Reach's loadout options make it a much better place for this than Halo 3.

What map is that in the first screenshot? Looks nifty. :)

11. Tedium

Tedium Lead Writer

It's an unreleased map called "Arena" designed specifically for 1v1 or 2v2 play. I made it in conjunction with Warfare, so I figure it would do well as an example area :D