Venerate

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by SilverJoachim, Jan 11, 2011.

1. SilverJoachim

SilverJoachim Forerunner

This is not the first map I have created, it is on the other hand the first map I created that I have decided to share with you my new friends (hopefully) at Forgehub.

Venerate is a 100% symmetrical map created in the Lagoon part of Forgeworld, it depicts the classic battle between Red VS Blue that has been the column of Halo's multi-player ever since the very beginning. I think it's safe to say this is my best work so far and I hope it's accepted by you, the Forgehub community, with open arms.

[​IMG]

*changes incoming*

[​IMG]

The map's spawn locations consists of 12 Initial Spawn locations, 6 for each team, all placed with pin point symmetry. there are also 26 Respawn locations, 13 for each side of the map, placed with the same pin point symmetrical accuracy as the Initial Spawn locations, but with cover and movement in mind.

[​IMG]

The weapons of the map are the following:

Needle Rifle x2
    1 for each side, both on a 50 sec respawn and 1 spare clip.

Plasma Pistol x2
    1 on each side of the center, both with a 60 sec respawn.

Plasma Launcher x1
    Placed in the dead center of the map with a 120 sec respawn.

Spiker Rifle x2
    1 for each side, both on a 60 sec respawn with 2 spare clips.

Fragment Grenades x4
    2 for each side, all on a 45 sec respawn.

Plasma Grenade x4
    2 for each side, all on a 45 sec respawn.

Plasma Repeater x2
    1 for each side, both on a 50 sec respawn.

Concussion Rifle x2
    1 for each side, both on a 90 sec respawn with 2 spare clips.

Sniper Rifle x2
    1 for each side, both on a 120 sec respawn with 1 spare clip.

Needler x2
    1 for each side, both on a 60 sec respawn with 1 spare clip.

Plasma Rifle x2
    1 for each side, both on a 45 sec respawn.

Assault Rifle x2
    2 for each side, all on a 50 sec respawn with 2 spare clips.

Magnum x2
    2 for each side, all on a 60 sec respawn with 2 spare clips.

Health Packs x4
    1 for each side of the center, and 1 for each base, all on a 45 sec respawn.

I have done some play-testing but not yet with 2 full teams, if anyone would like to join me in some quality testing I would appreciate it.

Other than that I would like to ask for your honest opinions and I am open for any constructive criticism you might have in store for me that can help me improve my map.

[​IMG]

I would like to thank Raymond Benefield for being a great mentor and for have given me some extremely useful tips on spawning and aesthetics. I would also like to thank my personal friend, EvERYthing21 (I am not sure whether or not he would mind me publishing his real name as he is a very private person) for giving me some good tips on weapon balance and for doing some basic playtesting with me.

[​IMG]

Here is a b.net version of this thread that provides some picture links to Venerate: Bungie.net : Halo: Reach Forum : Please Welcome: Venerate

EDIT: I demolished half the map in order to resolve the bottleneck issue, I would imagine that it plays a lot better now.

#1 SilverJoachim, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  2. sandervkva

sandervkva Ancient

3. SilverJoachim

SilverJoachim Forerunner

Thanks, that answers I question I was about to ask ^^

Also, as a result of some advice I received from various people on b.net, I have altered my map with more balanced times and positions for certain weapons and also solved a bottleneck issue with the map : )

4. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Too many long-ass bridges, too few routes to opposing sides. Just adding teleporters won't solve the problem; you need more space to move freely. I don't mean this in a rude way, but it looks like you could set this up fairly quickly in the Coliseum. I'd suggest doing a rough version and test the map there.

5. SilverJoachim

SilverJoachim Forerunner

I suppose you're right, but I don't have a more "bridgy" map than let's say The Cage.

I'm aware that the center of Venerate isn't a good example of a "Dance floor" but each base is adequately spaced out, I think.

Thanks for the feedback, though. I will see how I can perhaps spread out the map to contain more platforms than bridges : )

6. Noxiw

Noxiw Ancient

But seriously, listen to squidhands.

Teleporters are a cheap way to fix design flaws and can often be camped. Just looking at the picture it is very easy to assume player movement. I agree that this would be better off in the coliseum, add a few ground level structures and multiple ways up to the bridges and it would help immensely.

7. SilverJoachim

SilverJoachim Forerunner

Well, you are the experienced forgers here, I suppose it is a little to forceful on the players movement.

I don't wanna rebuild it all in the Coliseum though, it doesn't have the beautiful water effects and I spent a little too much time placing rails for each base : P

Could I reinforce the map using an extra web of bridges and build structures on the 2 open water spots, perhaps? Too make movement more colourful and unpredictable?

8. III PH03NIX III

III PH03NIX III Forerunner

I definitely like the water effects you have going here and though they are right about it being better off in the coliseum, if you wanna stick to the water idea you are going to have to get creative with your map flow. Right now there are too many long, single walkways that provide little cover and bottleneck player movement. You are gonna have to rethink them so they aren't simply straight pathways. Added turns with cover and multiple ways to get the center from one entrance should help.

As for your problems with incompatible gametypes, here is your solution. If you want to make this map, or any map for that matter, compatible with a specific gametype that requires some sort of objective, you have to go into the forge mode in that gametype rather than in basic editing mode. Then when you want to place objects like flag capture points, you need to go into the advanced settings of the object and change the tag to the appropriate one for the occasion. Here is a list of required tags and objects for each game type.

9. sandervkva

sandervkva Ancient

Add me: Gangsterreus
    I'd like to help you in forge to see if we can make this map more 'dance-able'

10. SilverJoachim

SilverJoachim Forerunner

Yeah, I'm in Forge re-thinking the whole map right now, I can already tell that I am going to have to demolish a lot before I can get creative, though : /

Also, thanks a lot for the tip, I didn't know that I had to go into the item's advanced settings to make them functional, thanks ^^

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

I've added you to my XBL Friends list, I by the way created 2 new covered pathways to the middle, I almost had 3 but I ran out of pieces to finish it so I made them into sniper spawns instead.

I could probably use a second opinion ; )

#10 SilverJoachim, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011