Vatican

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by dented_drum, May 25, 2008.

?

Rate The Map My Friends

1. 1-2 Eh...NO!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. 3-4 Not worth keeping, really.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 5-6 Pretty neat map.

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. 7-8 I'll show this to my friends, amazing merging.

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  5. 9-10 OMGWTFBBQ! Great map! =]]]

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. dented_drum

dented_drum Ancient

[​IMG]
    ^^CLICK FOR LINK^^

[​IMG]
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_Team NoseyNaux- Vatican_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Boring Formalities!
    Hey guys! Say, "Hello," to the newest production by Team beingTOOnosey and GridNaux. This time around, we decided to branch off and make something that suited more than four players. It's an entirely different approach for us, so I'm prepared for plenty of room for improvement. So, I'm gonna show you a few pics, let you get a feel for the map, and hopefully you can have some fun and check this baby out. Enjoy!

A Few Pictures for Your Viewing Pleasure:

[​IMG]
    Attackers
    Okee day, guys. Here is a simple look at the Attacker's spawn area. The right back corner is where your team will spawn, and the back left corner is the host for both the Flag Spawn point and the Flag Return point. The middle serves as the Bomb Spawn and Bomb Plant piont for Assault and One Bomb.

[​IMG]
    Defender's
    Alright. Now this is the same thing, reversed. There is one spot where I deleted a wall so that this picture could show what's actually back there. The left back corner is where your team will spawn, and the back right corner is the host for both the Flag Spawn point and the Flag Return point. The middle serves as the Bomb Spawn and Bomb Plant piont for Assault and One Bomb.

[​IMG]
    Flag Spawn
    I took this shot just so you could get a better look at the back of the base. This is the Defender's side. I realize the sideways Flag has been done a million times over, but it's the first opportunity that I've really had to use it, so I happily exploited its use.

[​IMG]
    On to the Good Stuff!!
    What you're lookin' at here is pretty simple. This is the middle of the map. Holding this spot has shown to be the key to the map in playtesting. Grenade placement is key, and there's plenty of options to manipulate here. The tunnel off the raised platform that you see in the middle hosts the Spartan Laser. That was a huge decision in this map, especially since we've never used a Laser before. It actually evened out fantasticly. Its charge time and range deficits force the player to make a decision as to when and when not to grab it.

[​IMG]
    More Prettiness!!
    Now, this isn't showing you much, other than how pretty we strived to make this map. All the lines match up all nice-like, and there's not one bump as you're walking in the whole map. To the left is the stairwell to a lower tunnel which we'll delve into later. Enjoyin' it so far?

[​IMG]
    Strenuous Just Doesn't Quite Say It Right.
    All these angles were quite stressing- yet another facet we've chosen to steer clear of up until this point. So, what's happening here: The most obvious of things is the stairwell that you have a much better view of now. Secondary is the back end. Where you see the Window Panel is where Beam Rifle spawns. Originally, this was a Mauler spawn, but we found in playtesting that the back was incredibly underused for that reason. By placing the Beam Rifle back there, we opened up the map a bit and required a bit more skill of players.

[​IMG]
    Accidental Beauty
    Well, I say accidental, but it was slightly planned out. The curvature of the boxes up top allowed for a small underground tunnel. We exploited this and popped a GravHammer back there. The Deployable Cover you see up front was recently changed to a Power Drain after playtesting. This was yet another attempt to fix a few spawning flaws, and those problems have been resolved. Though you cannot see it here, there is another Door that works as a ramp down onto the main floor. This makes it so that no jump is necessary- a smooth walk the whole way through.

[​IMG]
    Back of Vatican
    So this is what you were missin' out on earlier whilst the angle was tilted. This picture simply reveals the Mongoose that's there for Objective-based games. There is also a 'Goose in each base, but this one is here for those last-minute saves.

[​IMG]
    Splaser!
    -A closer look at Spartan Laser spawn. It's in there all pretty-like with no visible Weapon Holder. Also, I took this to show the exactness of the merges on the middle structure rise.

Weapon Placement:
    (6) Battle Rifle - 20 Second Respawn for the middle, 10 Second for the 2 In-Base BR's - 2 Spare Clips
    (2) Plasma Pistol - 30 Second Respawn
    (1) Brute Shot - 60 Second Respawn - 2 Spare Clips
    (1) Spartan Laser - 120 Second Respawn
    (1) Gravity Hammer - 120 Second Respawn
    (2) Covenant Carbine - 45 Second Respawn - 2 Spare Clips
    (2) Fuel Rod Gun - 45 Second Respawn - 0 Spare Clips - Placed at Start: No
    (1) Beam Rifle - 120 Second Respawn

Equipment Placement:
    (3) Frag Grenade - 10 Second Respawn
    (4) Plasma Grenade - 10 Second Respawn
    (1) Bubble Shield - 60 Second Respawn
    (1) Power Drain - 60 Second Respawn
    (2) Regenerator - 60 Second Respawn
    (1) Flare - 60 Second Respawn

Vehicles:
    (3) Mongoose - 1 in each base on 120 Second Respawn, 1 in the middle on 90 Second Respawn

Humility
    This is my fourth map to the dear Forge Hub. Allow me to point out my own flaws before you hold this map to the standards of my others (that's not to say they're anything that fantastic, though).

*Spawn-killing is an issue. We've suited the map to provide the victims of such ways to reverse the flaw, but this requires more than the brain-mass to pull the right trigger.
    *It is possible (too possible -_-) to get out of this map. The goal of the map was unable to be completed while holding both the our desire for the map and the advantage of not being able to escape it. We settled in our first (and last, I promise) failure to prevent the player from leaving the map. I regret this, but nothing could be done.
    *Weapon placement has been a huge fuss since the map's beginning. Never has Team NoseyNaux debated to this extent over weapon placement, but we finally came to a point of compromise. All weapon placement is done with the map's main flaw (spawn-killing) in mind. We sought to prevent this problem as much as possible, and the weapon placement is another of our methods to do such.

Until Next Time!

Adios, mis amigos! Hope you enjoy this map as much as I have, and I want TONS of feedback and ways to improve. We're always willing and ready to hear any advice from anyone of any skill. We can learn from everyone, and we know it. That being said, I'm wrappin' this thing up. Enjoy!

Extra Special Thanks Goes To:
    My Forging partner GridNaux. He never gets much credit since he doesn't have a FH account, but he's just as much a creator of these maps as I. Between mumbling his version of "Immigrant Song" by Zeppelin and smacking me with boxes, I'm almost positive he actually does some work =]

Also, I'd like to thank Cookieking23, Max, Sharpestt, ChipsinaBox, SporkerV2, and everyone else who helped in playtesting. You guys are there for every map, and you keep us from getting yelled at a whole lot on the official posts. Thanks!

[​IMG]

#1 dented_drum, May 25, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  2. Chipsinabox

Chipsinabox Ancient

You never cease to amaze me with your forging capabilities. One problem. It looks as if i can hop the boundaries with a good timed grenade or the gravity hammer. other than that, this map looks orgasmic.

3. x1 caboose 1x

x1 caboose 1x Ancient

4. dented_drum

dented_drum Ancient

SAD FAIC

Check the flaws list, pal. It hurt me too, a lot a lot. Thanks, though, bro. Amazing anyone is truly an honor. If you play it and have any advice on where I can cut back to afford a few blocked off placed, please let me know. Thanks again, bro! I love support =]

5. Chicken Dippah

Chicken Dippah Ancient

not only will i enjoy this map but i enjoy your posts too very profesional and i love all of it keep it up :)

6. dented_drum

dented_drum Ancient

Thanks a whole lot, man! I'm glad to see it pays off. I've been doing this specific thread for the past two hours, so hopefully that shows that the level of work we put into the map itself. I went through and bolded every number in the weapon, equipment, and weapon lists. Wow. Boredome hahaha

7. CaMOfo

CaMOfo Ancient

Looks awesome, the hills of interlocking greatness are bonerific.

8. Esquisofrenic

Esquisofrenic Ancient

very nice interlocking

9. Playerhata27

Playerhata27 Ancient

Your clan and you are very profesional at this.Your map looks very sleek and good.The interlocking is amzing.But in the middle I don't see much cover .The gravity hammer room though is very very very cool and the ceiling is cooler.I can't wait to see more maps from you guys and 5/5.

10. Fly

Fly Ancient

Jaw=Dropped. Astonishing overall. A+

11. Paulie Walnuttz

Paulie Walnuttz Ancient

nice map, the interlocking is great, i love the grav hammer spawn, i love the slopes, and gameplay looks great for 1 flag ctf

12. Norlinsky

Norlinsky Guest

GO BORING FORMALITIES! Awesome map. Some great ideas here

13. dented_drum

dented_drum Ancient

Thanks a whole llot, bro! It's best for Team Slayer, 1 Flag, and Nuetral Assault. Multi-Flag is almost impossible to win, and One Bomb is just not as fun as 1 Flag. I love how it plays no matter what. It's just a fun map. Thanks again, bro!

Haha, glad to hear support. I believe this is the most we've ever gotten for a map. Thanks!!

It's just me and my buddy. We've been Forging since a good 6 monthgs ago. Of course, our first projects were much, much less organized than the four I've posted here. We have almost ten total, but I only post the pretty ones here. Thanks a lot, bro! Lovin' the support!

Bonerific, indeed. Those hills were quite the task. Thanks!

It took us less than 24 hours to finish this map- the quickest we've ever made one. We just started and ideas were just falling into place. I was almost ashamed to fall asleep at first, but we got right to it first thing in the mornin'. Thanks a lot, bro!

#13 dented_drum, May 25, 2008
    Last edited: May 26, 2008
  14. LOCK.xcf

LOCK.xcf Ancient

great work again, your very great at interlocking, I'm a great fan of your maps, always look good, and this one looks just as good as all of them, also, very good thread, the only thing is, how well will a goose do here?

15. Linubidix

Linubidix Ancient

Map looks wonderful, another great map. I can see some camping in the hammer room though. It looks like it'll play very well, I've dled it and I'll give a more detailed response when I can. So, what I'm writing is based on the post. When you showed the exactness of the interlocking, I disagree, yes it looks great but it looks a tiny bit off crooked. I have that in bold to emphasize that it looks like it is off by an inch, nothing much, nothing serious. The double box floor looks great, very neat, very interlocked, very good. I do think that this looks breakable though, a plasma nade and a well timed jump and your out. I know you addressed that in your post but I wanted to agree. So if you do escape, is there a way back in?
    As I've said, Im basing this on the post, so when I report back I may take back some of what I said. My judgment could go from wonderful to amazing, we'll see.

Otherwise, looks like a fantastic map, good job.

16. ImI METAL ImI

ImI METAL ImI Ancient

Man, you guys are just incredible. I love the look of this map, mostly because almost every map you see that uses merged double boxes for the floor is only that one level or one above it. But you guys also make use of the floor and the side areas (which look great btw). Love it, Love it, Love it. I'm really eager for your next one!

17. GridNaux

GridNaux Ancient

No.

In our opinion, if you are dumb enough to waste the time to get out of a map, you don't deserve to get back in.

Play the game the way its supposed to be played.

18. Dynamic Echo

Dynamic Echo Ancient

This looks altogether rather pleasant.

19. dented_drum

dented_drum Ancient

Camping in the Hammer tunnel doesn't last long. Even if you're down there, the action is always up top, and you're serving no purpose down there. No one stays for long. We originally had a Deployable Cover in that same tunnel towards Hammer. That made it so that one could throw the cover and have a few seconds to process his thoughts before the Brute Shot guy came rushing in. We replaced it with a Power Drain due to the Cover's little use and lack of true in comparison to the Drain.

The boxes have error. There's a spot or two where the lines deviate, but if we're gonna get all picky!!! =] Thanks for noticing ha. I'm glad someone's looking close enough to tell ha. That means I have an area to improve (among many others).

Thanks a whole lot, bro! I hate you saying that you're eager for the next one, though. I was advised by a fellow Forger to not pump out maps so much because the community becomes "overwhelmed" or feels like I'm "pushing my maps" on them, and they will just lose interest in my maps. As he is more experienced than I, I'm planning to take the advice as closely as I'm able. You saying that you're eager for another wants me to turn on the 360 now, at 5:20 AM. All that aside, the next one will be brutal. I'm planning on taking lots of time on it, and I wanna make a masterpiece of it. Thanks for the support, bro!

20. ActTehKiLL

ActTehKiLL Ancient

Great interlocking and the taking up space =] Looks fun to play in