Vapor 1.0

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by DjShiftD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. RoboArtist

RoboArtist Forerunner

This map is brilliant in every way...

Though my xbox is gone and i cant have a crack at the map, I'm sure it would be pleasing to test it out for ya.

-Very clean
    -Aestheticaly stunning
    -Smooth and simple layout
    -Great blend with the environment and default structures
    -Unique location

I'd have to telly you, this reminds me hardly anything of Tempest and i like that.

2. xzamplez

xzamplez Ancient
    Forge Critic Senior Member

The one way shield door does not look like water, so it hurts the feel of the map.

If you did not design the map beforehand, then it is pathways with random connections.

I wasn't implying that you put aesthetics over gameplay, that comment was directed at Legit Taco.

I haven't DL your maps because I very rarely DL FH maps, they don't appeal to my style of gameplay.

Popularity has nothing to do with quality.

It's an experimental map, That's great. But the main purpose of experimental maps is to learn what worked and what didn't. As long as you learned from your mistakes, it is worthwhile.

3. DjShiftD

DjShiftD Forerunner

i definately learned from this map. all my maps are not designed before hand btw ;) ALL my maps are created at the time of forge. i let it flow. i have 20 maps finished, but i only published a few of them. granted, those maps dont looks the best, but play really well. ive been forging for years now, ive been a custom map creator in unreal and i USED to be a top track creator in mod nation racers. this is art. the best art just comes to you, so when i hear someone calling it random hallways, its insulting my art style. there is no correct way to do art.

i accept all critism, but 80% are just 13 year olds bashing, so its hard to tell the constructive critism from just talkin crap.

this map was designed to flow and this map is GREAT for 2v2 and plays well with 4v4. i just hate it when people judge the flow of a map without trying it.

version 2.0 has fixed alot of the problems with the map. if i have the budget, im going to leave the waterfall, but it looks like its gonna be scraped because tempest has only a 7500 budget.

once again, THIS MAP WAS NOT MADE RANDOMLY.

4. xzamplez

xzamplez Ancient

You use the knowledge that you have with design to forge a map as you go, but if it is not pre-planned, it is trial and error...which is random.

I am not a 13 year-old bashing your map. You should be able to tell from my other posts that I don't bash, I give truthful feedback.

Art can be described as absolutely anything from anybody.

I can't walk on it because I don't have Tempest. If you made a walkthrough, then I can give you useful feedback.

5. EpicChief117

EpicChief117 Forerunner

I love this map. All of the aesthetics match each other and gameplay looks to be good. Great job.

6. timmypanic

timmypanic Forerunner

This looks great! I had noticed the water aesthetics recently, looks great, but is just a small part of this forge. You have used the structures and aesthetics of Tempest really well, everything fits in well and works and looks well structured. Great map the best I have seen on Tempest.

7. Overdoziz

Overdoziz Untitled

While the map looks nice it doesn't play well at all. In practice it's just a long hallway going around in a circle. The Layout is so uninteresting and people just run in circles the entire time.

8. DjShiftD

DjShiftD Forerunner

its taking longer than i thought to finish Vapor 2.0... sorry guys...

improvements include;
    -Man Cannon leading from bottom to top of lookout tower (two ways to top now)
    -Larger Red Spawn Room.
    -Fixed the ugly Grenade Launcher hallway.
    -Fixed glitches in some asthetics.
    -Added more detail to walls.
    -Removed waterfall (not by choice, but for budget)
    -Made ladders WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY easier to climb.
    -Added High Fives to battle report.
    -Removed smurfs sitting on rock outside window. ( i hate smurfs)

let me know if you have any other recommendations.

You will know update is posted when thread image has changed. thanks for the feedback

9. MCGreen24

MCGreen24 Forerunner

This map is really epic and feels like a bungie-made map. It feels extremely epic when you walk onto the water fall platform and look at the wall with the struts. Reminds me of epic heights like contruct. This map is really cool but the red side's little platorm'ish base in the corner doesnt feel like it should fit there. Also as seen in the second to last picture, when you walk through that little hallway it seems like you could just delete the circular incline and the other block to make more room, and im sure it will still look nice. Those objects take up too much space and is like a little eye-sore in that part of the map. The red side as a whole doesnt seem just right yet. I would expirement with those areas if possible. I know you have 0 budget.

10. DjShiftD

DjShiftD Forerunner

like i said, grenade launcher hallway had an issue where the natural kill zone protruded into the map. it made it difficult to work around, but the whole red spawn room has been reworked. i call 1.0 complete crap and wish people wouldnt download the 1.0 version now, lol. 2.0 is coming out in a few hours. still tweaking a few things

11. MCGreen24

MCGreen24 Forerunner

Oh sorry, didnt see that. Thats good, I hope the changes made were for the better. I cant wait to see. Sucks the natural kill barrier is there.

12. A Legit Taco

A Legit Taco Forerunner

I understand where your going with this but most competitive maps don't really have a "theme" due to the color in the forge pallet. Layout, is obviously the number one priority, but maps that have good layouts and little to no aesthetically pleasing scenery in their map will not get noticed. I'm pretty sure that inspiration for the waterfall came from reflection, and their wasn't any way to imitate that other than to make it using shield doors. Aesthetics don't have to have a "real" look. Since when has "real" came into Halo? Since when has real came into video games? Read. Reread. Post.

13. DjShiftD

DjShiftD Forerunner

Vapor 2.0 is now available!!! download it and tell me what you think of the changes... im thinking of submitting this to be a featured map, so any help is appriciated :)

thanks guys!!!

14. MCGreen24

MCGreen24 Forerunner

very nice new update. The one covenant crate is kinda random. All the heavy duty crates around it with a single covenant one. I see you took out the waterfall thing. That kinda brings down the maps aesthetics alot. Actually quite anoiying now that I saw the first version, haha. BUT i know it was for the budget, for the most part you have to get rid of those.

15. EpicChief117

EpicChief117 Forerunner

Vapor isn't just a map. Its something special. Not many maps can looks as good, or feel as good as Vapor does. For some people, talent comes naturally. And that is exactly what you have been blessed with. Well done. People who didn't download the Noble Map Pack are missing out on a fantastic map.

16. omegawontons

omegawontons Forerunner

just played version 2.0 and all i can say is... WOW! this is by far the best forge map ive ever seen. havent seen such good use with the natural enviorment since... ever!

2.0 definately fixed alot of the problems with the first version. this map really feels like something bungie made. i hate tempest, but i love this map. im glad i downloaded the noble pack now, you made those waste of points worth it, thanks!

for all the haters out there, you dont understand a true piece of work! keep em coming shift!

btw; when are u releasing the new version of lucid? u still working on that?

17. DjShiftD

DjShiftD Forerunner

this is my favorite comment yet :)

hopefully this will be a featured map :)

as for Lucidity 2.0, its complete, im just lazy and need to add weapon spawns, lol. ill try to get it post up in the next few days. sorry for the wait.

18. xzamplez

xzamplez Ancient

Your favorite comment is one that praises your map, rather than giving you feedback on how to improve it? I'm sorry you feel that way.

I hope you're wise enough to realize that some people are mystically blinded by aesthetics. Having a map that looks nice might give it attention, but if it doesn't play well, it won't go anywhere.

19. Scobra

Scobra Ancient

I haven't had a chance to actually play the map in an actual game yet, but I did give it a good forge-thru with a friend and we both agreed that it should definitely be opened up a bit more, especially at Red Spawn. Seeing as how that's been changed, I have much higher hopes, however I still think a few more extra pathways could be created that lead from Blue Spawn to Red Spawn as the map felt pretty linear when I first walked through it.

20. DjShiftD

DjShiftD Forerunner

how many freaking times do i have to hear about asthetics are nothing with gameplay? ALL MY MAPS ARE GAMEPLAY FIRST!!!

i wish i could add more hallways, but tempest has ALOT of trees that makes it hard to forge around. with that said, i decided to make another tempest map thats alot more wide open and takes up half the map.

-just noticed ur the person who keeps bashing this map... i think ive had enough of ur input

#40 DjShiftD, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011