Vanilla

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by Gunnergrunt, Oct 1, 2010.

1. OneDeviantsFate

OneDeviantsFate Forerunner

This map is near perfect aesthetically. Doesn't look like anything else out there... which is awesome. Nice tight game-play, but needs something tweaked although I have no idea what... haven't played against a large group, but is definitely on my playlist.

2. xXdrewbaccaXx

xXdrewbaccaXx Ancient

This map looks absolutely amazing. I like the vanilla-esque color scheme you've got going on alot of the objects. Definitely a neat little thing you can do in Reach Forge.
    Can't wait to try this map out!

Kudos on the feature

3. SirPalesAlot

SirPalesAlot Forerunner

I do not know if it has been mentioned yet, but someone said something about it in the feature section (and I agreed), but Bungie mentioned in there weekly update...

"I’ve seen a player merge more than a dozen objects into a single light to create a rather ornate and spectacular chandelier. While it may look visually impressive, functionally it operates more like a Forge black hole, requiring players to render an absurd amount of objects for what amounts to a small piece of visual flair. When I removed all of the superfluous pieces from the beautiful fixture in question, the base map was left largely unchanged and the overall performance increased dramatically." I

My guess is that they were talking about this map. I didn't notice much lag, but I may not have been paying attention...if that light is causing some issues maybe it would be wise to get rid.

Other than that congrats on the feature. The map is awesome. I would love to see the map make it into MM.

4. timmypanic

timmypanic Forerunner

This is one of the best maps I have found around! Downloaded it before joining on here. Great map. Played on it many times! The trees look good and fit in on the map and the moon behind the trees gives it a great atmosphere. The light with the teleporters around is a nice little touch. Looking forward to more new maps !

5. Rorak Kuroda

Rorak Kuroda Up All Night
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Enjoyment:

I'd say it was highly enjoyable. The layout allowed players to get where they wanted to go with ease, whether it be by jetpack or by foot. The lift by sniper hosted some very entertaining battles, especially when the sword was involved. However, there were often complaints about a flow issue similar to the issue on Reflection; it seemed that the most easily controllable area was the platform above sniper spawn, so players didn't like to wander outside of that area in team slayer games. However, this map was still ridiculously fun for nearly every gametype it supports, even Safe Havens! (Which I did in fact try. :p)

8/10

Balance:

The only balance issue arises from a certain point on the map, though this issue only occurred in Flag and slayer gametypes. The sniper spawns directly below one of the most controllable areas of the battlefield, which moved 80% of the flow to that side of the map. Aside from that, it wasn't too difficult to counter any of the areas using a bit of coordination, and the plasma launcher/sword spawns helped with that quite a bit.

6/10

Durability:

The map is perfectly smooth, the forging flawless, and is in no way escapable. But that being said, there is a minor issue. Framerate lag wrecks havoc looking out of either of the top balconies, making the sniper nearly useless across-map. However, the removal of the light helped exponentially in the Vanilla Dark version. Some minor lag still existed, but it was minor.

9/10

Aesthetics:

Simply gorgeous. Everything was built to pixel-perfection, and the incorporation of the trees in the center of the map really adds character to the feel and atmosphere. The only complaints to be had were ones of nearly every forge world map; gray objects tend to blend with one-another, making areas difficult to tell apart when playing on a map for the first time.

9/10

Originality:

For being a map built so early in Reach, I'd say it's certainly original in all aesthetic aspects. The layout isn't quite as revolutionary, with some obvious inspirations from maps like Reflection and Halo 3's Epitaph. However, it certainly stands alone as its own layout, and any man with enough balls to call his map Vanilla must be a pretty original guy.

6/10.

Overall:

7.6/10

And as a closing statement, I'd just like to say that this map will probably never leave my hard-drive, and I'll continue to play it from time to time whenever the situation is appropriate. Every map has issues, but the good things on this map greatly outshine the issues. Excellent job, and congratulations on the feature, Gunnergrunt.

#85 Rorak Kuroda, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  6. ByRn3s77

ByRn3s77 Forerunner

please dont enter in the contest for team slayer haha

7. The Blaze Jp

The Blaze Jp Forerunner

I rarely comment on maps over here but i must say i do like the design and feel of this map, The only con for me is the framerate loss, areas of the map lag significantly. I don't know what you could do to fix it, but grats on the feature and all that with this map.

8. JDB95

JDB95 Ancient

Yes the framerate loss indeed... It's too bad because my custom games are normally split screen and that is where it really kicks in. Nonetheless, Vanilla is my second favorite Competitive map as i really care about the aesthetics properties of a map, and love the amazing gameplay Vanilla produces. It is an awesome map, but I can't play it enough as I would like due the the framerate issues. Amazing map.

9. GuardianV3

GuardianV3 Forerunner

If you want my honest opinion, I thought it was VERY underwhelming. It had EXTREME Construct syndrome, with almost the entire match revolving around the main lift that'll get you to the top floor. Of course, you built alternate routes and stuff, but in matchmaking, the majority of the idiots online will complain about the camping and it will never get picked.

Second of all, I believe this has been addressed, but it had very bad framerate issues in the build I played. Also, a personal problem I had is that when you fall to the watery area and you die, I was confused. You should somehow make it more obvious that you aren't supposed to be able to go there, because it looks too accessible to be something you aren't supposed to go to. Most people find that out the hard way so I don't know what you could do, but that was something I thought was irritating when I was still learning the map.

It's a good map, no doubt, but I didn't like it, personally.

10. Gunnergrunt

Gunnergrunt Ancient

Good news! I was finally able to completely eliminate the framerate lag on Vanilla. I will be entering that version in the Forgetacular and I may also post a link here as well. So keep your eyes out for that if you want a Vanilla without framerate issues.

11. Epic Cookie

Epic Cookie Ancient

awsome map!!!

12. W4R5 CR34T10N

W4R5 CR34T10N Forerunner

Incredible

I love the looks of the map! The gameplay appears spectacular as well. This is the sort of map I strive for when forging my own (nearly positive that I have never achieved something of this calibur).

The detail is excellent, the use of the walls, blocks, etc to create new and interesting patterns on the walls are fantastic. It keeps the map fresh and provides indicators for your location without relying on color effects. Of course, I love the trees and you blended the map around them well as it seems to allow you to move smoothly.

The size seems just right too. Downloading now

13. xdemption

xdemption ATN

Jesus christ...

Bungie jump out a freaken window because you've just been put to shame. I can't even download it and it looks amazing, sadly i can't truly rate it but continue to make amazing maps such as these, I'd love for you to see some of my maps I've been working on. GT is Dhg redemption7, I think you'd like some of the designs I've made ^_^

14. JGarb

JGarb Forerunner

Im deffinatly going to start sketching the layout of my map, like yourself. It will reduce those hours of not knowing what to do next. You are a great artist I must say. Anyways, great map and i love the creativity that you put into your map. For emample, turning a railing upside down. Really who would think of that!:] Great job, for shure download.

-JGarb Forge

15. IMAGOODFORGER

IMAGOODFORGER Forerunner

Do you want more downloads on your map?? Well I can help out! Im in process of making a youtube video full of great maps and download links! Hit me up. My gamertag : FFRANCIS30

Do you want more downloads on your map???? Well I can help out! Im in process of making a youtube video full of great maps and download links! Hit me up. My gamertag : FFRANCIS30

16. ONEARM

ONEARM Ancient

This map look really good when it comes down to aesthetics. But looks can be decieving. Especially when I was looking at the trees in the center, it can distract people.

I cannot judge this map just by screenshots, even your video, but from what I've seen your map has long line of sights, framrate issues, and seems a little open.

Either than that, it looks great.

17. Eightball

Eightball Forerunner

I've seen your work from halo 3, (Helix) correct me if I'm wrong, but that was a very well forged map. I like what you did with this one, you added some scenery/aesthetics with the trees, which is great eyecandy, but you didn't go overboard with trying to make your map look super fancy. I think you did a great job.

18. Shik

Shik Forerunner

I can see why people voted this for best Slayer, the game play looks really fun on it.

19. NlBBS

NlBBS Forerunner

What people don't seem to remember is that is has a ridiculous amount of framerate and some poorly designed bases.

20. RightSideTheory

RightSideTheory Legendary

It's also the map that started the tree revolution, so it gets my vote.