Valley Of The Beasts

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Mini Game Maps' started by Morphine, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Morphine

Morphine Ancient

[​IMG][​IMG]
    By Morphine (GT:Timeless161)

Players: 4-16
    Map v2.3
    Gametype (required)

Let me just start off by saying that I had a blast making this thing, special thanks to everyone who put their time into testing it. Especially the FH testers guild and some of you from XForgery. In total I believe this went through about 5 different versions, each with several subversion tweaks. The finished product is easily one of my favorite mini games maps I've made when it comes to replayability and fun factor. But, I don't want to over sell it judge for yourselves...

The name of the game came from a Hindi parable in which a man heads out into the woods seeking treasure but ends up going on a spiritual journey with several different animals. The game itself takes influence from several other semi popular minigames, including tremors, sharks and minnows, cave freaks, and rock wall. Combining them into one with some other unconventional concept twists. The game itself is played in teams as an one sided territories match, But goes much farther. Here is a basic layout to help get an idea of how the map is setup.

[​IMG]

The defenders spawn on a floating platform before loading into vehicles and taking their action packed man cannon propelled jump.

[​IMG]

Riding the wave of this ego boosting experience they cruise to the other side of the map, trying to intercept the attackers as they head towards the first territory.

[​IMG]

There is a long road ahead of the attackers. With normal movement traits the only thing that stands against them is time (4 mins) and the horde of beasts attempting to splatter them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see in some of the pictures above I list two separate spots for respawns. While the game is only one life per round when an attacker captures a territory it respawns his dead teammates. Depending on what time within the round the player captures it, his teammates will spawn at one of two locations.

Also seen in these photos there are several places for the attackers to jump and take shelter, their only defense being the equipment and weapons that are available on the way. On the other hand the defenders can only use vehicles to splatter their enemy as they can not deal damage.

[​IMG]

The best strategy is working together as a team, in order to make your way to the capture point inturn respawning all of your dead teammates.

[​IMG]

As you capture territories they get progressively harder to reach, all for their own reasons. The object is to head at a steady pace, as the objects spawn in over time and the round limit is only 4 mins. The final point is based a top of a rock wall, one slip could spell your upending doom.

[​IMG]

But you need to pay extra close attention to any ghosts who can climb the wall and push you off, in order for their teammates to splatter you below.

[​IMG]

Technical stuff: In order for this game to work with territories, I had to make 4 huge territories that cover the entire map and have them instantly be captured as soon as the game started. This allows me to apply different traits to both the attackers and defenders no matter where they were on the map. (including the white and black coloring) This is why the attackers spawn in the center of the map where all four territories meet in the beginning of the game, then are teleported to the start. (so the scoring still works but just subtract 4 to your score for each round played)

This of course allows me to make this game nearly honor rule free. So you don't have to worry about nubs who hijack, shoot you, try to pick up equipment or weapons as defenders, or get out of their vehicle to chase after you (low speed and gravity).

Well that's it, Thanks again to everyone who helped me test it. Any comments are welcome and as always have fun and enjoy!

#1 Morphine, Oct 24, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  2. Youtuber

Youtuber Ancient

This could definitely be fun. I would have too teach my party how too play for 1 or 2 games, but then after it would be glorious fun. I still don't understand about the second spawn or whatever, but I'm still gonna download this map and play, good creativity and interlox on the rock wall. 5/5

3. Insane54

Insane54 Ancient

This is....incredible. I'll need to play a little more, but I think it's up for Featured contention. I love what you've done mixing games :D

4. ezekeil20five17

ezekeil20five17 Ancient

Very interesting I have never seen the respawn on capture option used before and it appears that you have built an interresting map around it I agree with insane that this is potentail feature material

I really like the climbing wall very clever and it looks like fun

Nice looking map nice looking post if I had my box now {rrod} I would check this out

The only thing I would add is the juicy filter because I think it makes avalanche look 10 times better but thats just me

5. zackj191

zackj191 Ancient

w00t you posted it! I remember the first test I was in for this game, we had like 3 people. Then we started and like 1000 people joined and lagged dat **** uP! But it was all good after a min. I gtg right now so after school i'll finish review. SRRY!!

Okay well sorry I forgot to do this but here the review.

Gameplay 9/10: This map plays very well for both teams. It is balanced and stiff fun! The need to keep going to revie your teamates and to dodge incoming choppers and ghosts make the game fast paced! I really enjoyed playing this when you were still testing.

Creativity 8/10: Although this exact idea is not created yet this is still a unorginal type of game. I'm not trying to be mean but it's like an advanced version of tremors. The map being on territories though makes it different and the respawn on capture is not widely used so that make this map creative. Good job

Aesthetics 78/10: There is really nothing for this category but I always have these 3 in my reviews so I am doing it. This map really is just a bunch of platforms, but at least the spawn for the beats looks nice. How the walls are not falling or slanted makes the ground smooth. If structures were on this map to rate this category would be larger.Oops, didn't see the pics, was going off what I tested. The rockwall looks very nice, and the geomerged box looks good too! I like how the ghosts only can push you off not the choppers! Sorry again I didn't look at pics!

Overall 2425/30: This map is actually a very fun and challenging game. If you are looking for that "new and exciting" mini-game, look no further. This map is it! The balanced of fun for both sides keeps this game fun for all. Definate DL if you like any kind of Tremor style map, or any mini-games!

#5 zackj191, Oct 24, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  6. DeathToll77

DeathToll77 Gone For Sec

YAY you posted it!!. I was testing for this game and I absolutely loved it!!. I like that you added that big tower at the end. The gameplay is VERY fun. It is intense to run through the snow while at the same time jumping up on the floating platforms to avoid being splattered. This is alot better than the original test version you showed me because you have added various equipment and the tower at the end. I hope to see more maps from you and I will reccomend this for a feature. 5/5

Question? Did you add fusion coils in the spawn room? And did you make it so you spawn on avalanche, instead of inside?

7. Morphine

Morphine Ancient

Well for the fusion coils I decided against it, The only thing it really prevents is people who aren't playing forcing everyone to wait til the clock runs out, when in reality they can just boot the players and inv him, so he can come back whenever. Not to mention, if a player joined late they might get hit with one of the fusion coil waves and instantly die. But I did add a grav lift setup to the respawn room so players are forced into the teleporters and can't just wait in there until it the 2nd respawn opens up.

And you still spawn inside avalanche at the start, this is kind of a requirement so the attackers can capture the 4 points that engulf the entire map at the beginning.

8. DeathToll77

DeathToll77 Gone For Sec

sorry, when I said spawn I meant re-spawn. And you answered that question too. You definitely made the right decision :)

9. Playerhata27

Playerhata27 Ancient

Hey timeless. I had the pleasure/honor of testing this. Every aspect, detail is perfect. I can see this being featured int he future.

This map is so original. Some people may thinks its too much like Tremors, or Cat N' Mouse, but your wrong. Either side your own you have equal fun. You definitely utilized the Place at Start No option. There are so many outcomes and good times out of this map its endless. So many routes to take its endless. The last territory is a great finale. You'll have a great time trying to get up there before your opponent.

I am so speechless on this map. Definite download. I will most likely play this everyday, seeing I'm addicted to it. Great job, and keep making these!

P.S.:I'll find you on my Recent Players and send you a FR, seeing your a cools guy =].

10. penguin asassin

penguin asassin Ancient

looks good, and do you do the same thing in tremors were theres 2 people in a team and you have to switch every game?

11. Wood Wonk

Wood Wonk Ancient

i just first have to say that a few of the pics reminded me of the first map i ever made, avcap.

anywho, this is super fun, very well thought out, great minigame. i loved playing it. great design, layout (are those the same thing?), great game. i love what you have done here. :]

12. GD27 BlueDevil

GD27 BlueDevil Ancient

From what I am getting is that this is a remake/twist to Tremors. This looks like a great idea and a lot of fun. I am DLing this to get out of that grey warehouse Bungie calls foundry.

I would like to see you do this on many other maps such as make a bunch of platforms over Blackout or have something new and unique on Ghost Town.

Great job though, I know me and my friends will have a great time on this 5/5

13. Boyle06

Boyle06 Ancient

very nice i made a ghostable wall in my template map i gave up on and used it as a tactic for a very closed base for the attacking team it is pretty cool that happens i like what u did w/ u wall maybe making it easier to fall tho like in rockwall tho i have nvr tested it to tell if this would help but this looks GREAT it doesn't look like u simply through some things down they are actually geomerged an what not... nice work... hope u get the feature... oh and i like the ramp going off the map... has neone got some1 w/ it... nice job 5/5

14. Morphine

Morphine Ancient

nope, it's a team based game with 6 rounds, so basically if there are 8 people on your team there are going to be 8 beasts(tremors) and so on. This makes it a little harder for the attackers but i've added a lot more cover than there is in a normal game of tremors, weapons & equipment to help and the ability to respawn your teammates drastically improves your chances. Also this way there is no one who feels left out who wants to be a beast(tremor).

15. Morphine

Morphine Ancient

The spawns work as follows, basically when the attackers they are out of lives until one of them captures a new point. When they do capture a point if it's before 2:30 into the round they respawn at the first respawn point, after that the 2nd.

Updated to v2:
    Also I would just like to bring to everyone attention I released a new version which fixes a respawn area problem, so for you 22 people who downloaded the map this afternoon, might want to pick it u again i put 'v2' in the description of the up to date version. Sorry about this but it's honestly probably my last change.

16. EGP

EGP Ancient

Wow, i can see a lot of great gameplay coming from this map. I like how this map has a very nice pre-layout to improve the outcome of the map. I mean this by the layout of the map you have created, which really mades this post look a lot more professional.

Very good Job looks very fun

17. StreetSoccer12

StreetSoccer12 Ancient

I Love This Map :]

I could play this map for hours and hours, I am soo glad that you posted it. This must be one of the funniest mini-games I have played. This is feature worthy for sure! Hopefully you post the soccer ball one too, I think that one was pretty fun.

Overall 5/5

18. highSPLATTERY1

highSPLATTERY1 Ancient

wow this looks cool i just downloaded it looks like it was a long process ill have to give to ratings MAP: 4/5 GAMETYPE 4/5 i really like it i already played a few games on it its very very cool

19. Giantpanda

Giantpanda Ancient

Very nice map. Geomerging and interlocks look like it took you a long time and the gameplay LOOKS very fun.
    And it would be nice to know what the custom powerup does because if it increases damage the defenders could just go around shooting everyone.

20. Morphine

Morphine Ancient

Nope, all it does is take the waypoint off your head and give you good camo for about 10 seconds.

Updated to Version 2.1
    Last update (hopefully), fixed glitch with teleporter being blocked for respawn 2:30 into the game. It will say v2.1 at the end of the description (only the map needs updating the gametype is fine).

Ok, so this is definitely the last update, I don't plan on changing anything without making a v3 in the distant future. What can I say, I'm a perfectionist... I fixed the fact that people changing to the defenders or joining the game late as a defender mid game can still spawn at the vehicle start. Again look for v2.2 at the end of the description and only the map needs updating the gametype is fine.

#20 Morphine, Oct 25, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2008