Valhalla Mini

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by vesicles, Dec 31, 2010.

1. vesicles

vesicles Forerunner

#1 vesicles, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  2. Exile

Exile Forerunner

Dude, this looks like...like..
    LIKE IT COULD BE THE VALHALLA WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR :D

3. HopefulRUIN

HopefulRUIN Ancient

Ohmyjesus.
    This looks intense.
    I LOVED VALHALLA!

This actually doesn't look too much smaller than Valhalla at all..
    The space behind the bases has definitely increased.
    I'll look forward to seeing this posted soon.

4. Kittenpaste Company

Kittenpaste Company Forerunner

Testing this with you was pretty fun. :3 I was a bit bugged by the open walk to the kill boundary but that's just my conditioning by other forgers yelling at me for how I tend to use kill boundaries. Once I learned where everything was (hey, I never played multiplayer Halo 3 D:) it became damned fun.

5. thesilencebroken

thesilencebroken Jill Sandwich

Make sure you put the wraiths in. Just cause. They were on default Valhalla. :p

6. Exile

Exile Forerunner

No they were on heavy game types...
    Theres a reason why the current BTB playlist sux you know..

If you need people to test in the future, id love to see this map
    GT: ODST Exile

7. MetaWaddleDee

MetaWaddleDee Ancient

My Advice is to remove the trees, they look expensive and not really like trees. You could easily put that money towards improved bases or boundaries.

8. thesilencebroken

Why don't you do me a favor.

Go pop in Halo 3, go to custom games and load up Valhalla. Then come back and reply.

9. vesicles

vesicles Forerunner

Sorry I cant quote right yet >.<
    When those antennae are gone the map begins to feel more barren. The feel of the map, as well as mimicing the original gameplay really do require those god awfully expensive 'trees'. I only wish they provided the obstructed views they should.

Oh, there's a quote button.... o_O

10. MaxSterling

MaxSterling Ancient

Dunno what your budget is, but have you considered using rocks to fill in the trees and give them volume? Just a quick idea off the top of my head.

11. vesicles

vesicles Forerunner

If a BTB works - havent BTB'd - it can be done.

12. Plasma Blades

Plasma Blades Ancient

I would have to agree with the tree removal. Deforestation is the new cool thing.

Anyway, since nothing could actually be Valhalla, or extremely close to it, this could be a remake with a few alterations, making the trees removal a little more practical. It seems like it's not so much the map length and width that are smaller, but the actual features, like the central hill, the shotty caves, and the communications area. I'm guessing you ran out of natural objects, but I think that gameplay should trump the aesthetic accuracy, so at the cost of eliminating the trees, you could make some of the key structures larger, therefore more representative of the original map, and improving gameplay overall.

13. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

This looked like a really nice map when we were in Forge. Be sure to tell me if you need more people for a playtest (especially a BTB) - I'd like to see how the framerate issues pan out in custom.

14. Exile

Exile Forerunner

Why dont you go into matchmaking on Halo 3 and see what the standard Valhalla has?
    Why dont you go into matchmaking on Reach and see what ruins hemmorage right now?

If you load up Hemmorage from Reach it will give you scorpions, not wraiths.
    There is always room for improvement, just because something was default doesn't mean it was good.

15. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

Scorpions work well for Coag/Hemorrhage because the terrain is more flat. In Valhalla H3, there are rolling hills that make the terrain unsuitable for there to be Scorpions in fighting.

However, this map is a scaled down version of a massively expansive playing area. It might be that adding heavy vehicles could be too overpowering for gameplay. But the only way to find out is by playing a BTB session with them.

16. vesicles

vesicles Forerunner

Comprimise; if the Wraiths work I can 'thin' the 'trees' but not remove them entirely. There has to be something that breaks up the skyline - may as well remove the Banshee entirely. However - it may be very difficult to navigate from one side of the map to the other with a Wraith - dont know if this is bad or good when a Wraith's projectile simulates artillery and the back fields (where artillery deploys) are larger but a majority of players love to advance and dominate (fun is fun). Will work on this.

17. Exile

Exile Forerunner

I'd keep the trees, you need something where the banshees can lose the rockets on (i assume there is a rocket launcher on the map)

18. DunkinMyCookies

DunkinMyCookies Ancient

I really love this. One thing that really bugs me tho, is the Coliseum walls, bleh. I just feel they are the lazy way of setting boundaries.

That aside, I'd really love to test this. If you need anyone, send and inv. I'm on fairly often :p

19. thesilencebroken

Personally, I found Valhalla to be boring without the Banshees. The wraiths were a joke, I just argued their validity because they were indeed on the default map.

20. vesicles

vesicles Forerunner

The Wraiths do not work on the map, after putting them in and driving around you tell real quick they arent going to work well at all. Warthog driving is also challenging, but fun when you are familiar with the terrain. With those caviats in mind the 2nd and 3rd of January are good times for BTB games and input on Objective games while doing some other finishes. See customs lobby for the poopy.
    http://www.forgehub.com/forum/customs-lobby/117025-btb-testing-jan-2-3-a.html
    Thanks a grip -

#20 vesicles, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011