Sandbox Utah Mambo

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Cosmic Rick, Mar 5, 2009.

1. x DREAM 76 x

x DREAM 76 x New World Man

I have learned to expect nothing less than amazing work from you Rick. I played a couple of test games with you the other night and I just ran around the map by myself last night. I must say that this map is really cool. I didn't get a chance to see all the great geomerging while I was trying to save the flag during the test games, howerver I looked over everything in my own party. The Geomerging on the dune hill section is amazing! I need to take some pointers from you about how you made everying so seemless and even.

The map layout seems to work great for objective style game variants and traditional slayer as well. The center base and the way it has mulit levels worked great for teams who like to control specific areas. The laser was quite balanced in it's location. I did feel that some of the vehicles were annoying sometimes. I moslty died from the chopper or Banshe. This really was not a problem, however I felt that it conflicted with some of the intense ground based combat. Overall I am happy with the way this project turned out and I plan on keeping this map. I can't wait to see what you come up with next! Great job as always.

2. Linubidix

Linubidix Ancient

To put it simply; it's a blast to play. Though the first match on is always disorienting.

It definately feels like a successor to Kentucky Tango and it accompanies that cluttered, random feel that KT offered. On paper the map seems like its set up to crash, because of the large list of weapons and vehicles available, and on any other map it might just do that but because of the way it's been created and the layout lend themselves to that weapon set and playing style.
    Oh and by the way, Red Base is breathtaking, your forging prowess knows no bounds.

3. DRO Maelstrom

DRO Maelstrom Ancient

This map should honestly just be featured for aesthetics. My god, I really can't think of many people who could possibly think of this let alone forge it.

I can remember testing Kentucky Tango with you. That map blew me away, and it was a slap in the face to anyone else in my opinion. Your maps still do that today, regardless of where you have them. I still have most of them on my hard drive, lol.

I'll get back to you with gameplay if I can get a game going. Only have like 6 friends with mythic, so it isn't too much fun for me (I tried inviting random people out of Team Mythic playlist too, lol).

Really, from that MMP review Forge Hub gave, your map and Lightsout and Creeping Death's Element were the maps that stuck out to me immediately.

This one will probably be a keeper for a long time.

4. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

Cosmic you've done it again!

The map is very impressive, and I could honestly see this being used in Matchmaking. The red base is easily my favorite part of the map, and using the geometry like that is genius. I can't wait to get more games on this map, it truly is the successor to Kentucky Tango. Well done.

I'm glad you decided to remove the Banshee, it was just a little too overpowering for the map. You should edit your pics to reflect those changes though, so folks don't get confused when they can't find it in game.

5. ImI METAL ImI

ImI METAL ImI Ancient

God, this looks great. The central corridor and the base in the dunes really sold it for me. Just seeing a banshee swoop down in that corridor and the natural-looking geomerges makes my eyes light up. I'm dl'ing right now, I presume gameplay will be amazing since it's Rick.

Edit: After a walkthrough, I wanted to get a 8 on 8 going so bad. The base in the dunes layout is great; most forgers I think would have divided up that lower level, but leaving it open offers more satisfying gameplay without having to turn around walls in close quarters in differing levels of altitude, imo. The top level looks and feels like it's Bungie-made and walking down the front slope carbining attackers left and right is hella fun. The center hallway is very well laid out and it creates a bunch of different lines of sight and the potential for flying down and assasinating nubz from above, which I love. The layout of the other base kind of confused me at first, but after I ran through it a couple times it made sense. It seems so much bigger than it actually is because of the multitude of paths you can take and because you can walk 'neath the scaffolding. And, of course, you had to include a chopper after owning vorpal. The spawn point for it owns: you get to take that plunge into battle, hopefully splattering peeps on the way down. I thought the fighting would be in concentrated areas, but it actually does spread out to some of the side structures and to the vehicle outposts of course. Dude, I'd say this is the most fun I've ever had on a forged map. You really outdid yourself, an easy 5/5 from me.

#25 ImI METAL ImI, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  6. arrrghSAM

arrrghSAM Ancient

Finally managed to get a game on it, the geomerging is great!
    Of course the D-Base is a highlight, but I can't forget the Hornet and Ghost spawns;
    They look as if they were intended to be in the original map, like they're structures that were already there.
    I had a lot of fun in the only gametype we played, which was FFA, and it played brilliantly, you did a great job and it really does feel like a spiritual successor of Kentucky Tango. Well done!
    I'm going to have to get a game with everyone at GoO on here some time, invite me if you guys are playing some customs and I'm on :D

7. STWOW

STWOW Ancient

This is perfection I love it and sooo original. I like the blue base for its look with the wood. And the gameplay is fantastic. 10/10 or 5/5 or whatever. Its like an improved version of Sandtrap, A very Improved one just in layout.

*Edit: Wha this only has 4 stars? c'mon people.

8. killamnjaro

killamnjaro Ancient

pardon my f bomb but...
    THIS MAP IS ****ING AMAZING
    the only exploits were in the sand hugger base and they look intentional

9. ManRayX

ManRayX Ancient

Cool Map.

Another gem Rick 5/5. Geomerge into the hill is beautiful and nice balance.

[Deleted for Obvious advertisment]

#29 ManRayX, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2009
  10. Minime637

Minime637 Ancient

this map by far is my favorite of all the ones made so far. i love how beautifully you have geomerged into that 'hill'.

the map looks great and i am totally downloading it!!

5/5

11. Glitch100

Glitch100 Ancient

That sir... is an amazing map...

Great build; Clearly took alot of time, and the general shape of it seems very professional :)
    Ill be happy to give this a 10/10 :)
    The 'D- Base(?)' is very well built, and put amidst the sand :D
    Good one dude!

12. Moshin Joshn

Moshin Joshn Ancient

Great job. I would love to see a symmetrical version of this come out as well. Obviously not symmetrical with the bases, but with the vehicles and weapons. Reminds me of hang em high with vehicles. 2 different bases on a mostly symmetrical map with a divider in the middle. (only yours goes up not down)

13. deepmonkey paw

deepmonkey paw Ancient

This looks really nice man. I definately have to try this out. I love how the big base appears to be coming out of the sand dune. Great addition. Cant wait to do a forgethru and eventually a custom game. Great job again. I see nothing wrong.

*thumbs up!*

14. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys. I'm glad you're enjoying the map so far. I know I've gotten my share of KotH and 1-Flag games in on this.

I've submitted the map to ATLAS, so we'll see how that goes down.

Oh, and I've added a "rave reviews" section to the OP, just for fun.

EDIT: And somebody made a video for it already. I hope they won't mind me adding it to the OP.

#34 Cosmic Rick, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  15. mastersync23

mastersync23 Ancient

O. Mai. Gawd. This is the most epic map I've seen on sandbox. So far, of course. But I'm sure that this is going to stay in my first spot for quite a while. Anyway, the map is amazing. The layout encourages teamwork and strategy, so overall, 9/10. Amazing job, Rick.

16. Phan7om Pain

Phan7om Pain Ancient

Wow

Cosmic Rick i must say your maps never disappoint. I love all of your stuff. Not only dose the map look great but it plays really well.

17. D4ni3l G

D4ni3l G Ancient

The best feature of the map is obviously the geomerged base, but i was suprised just how well this played even with a small group of people. Grats on the feature!

18. Love Slice

Love Slice Ancient

I don't even need to give a full review of the map. I can describe it in one word:

Sexy!

EDIT: Thanks for fixing the small base BTW. The new one is cool, but the old one sucked.

#38 Love Slice, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  19. painkillaah

painkillaah Ancient

this is the most badass sandbox map I have downloaded so far, and if youre going to submit to ATLAS like I read some pages ago, you should submit the newer version, a whole lot better. I would love to see this in matchmaking.

20. C0RRUPTl0N

C0RRUPTl0N Ancient

Like everyone else I am completely impressed.. You really slam dunked this one... The first Sandbox feature.. Defiantly worth it. I am down loading right away, I feel like I already have played it from the pics. I'm not gonna bother editing this post after downloading, I know your skill and am positive it's going to be spectacular. Great job cosmic 5/5.. I'd love to see what you can create in the sky-bubble.