Un-named map

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Mr Magashi, Oct 25, 2010.

1. UltimateSlayer5

UltimateSlayer5 Ancient

This map looks great but like others have said, the groundfloor could use some stuff

2. pinohkio

pinohkio Ancient

I don't know how much budget you have left, but during testing, you could never really run the objective on the ground. Perhaps add in a Rock spire 1 just in front of those bunker triangle things (can't remember the name :p).

The only other big problem I found was in assault; everybody just camped the enemy's base. I think you know what I'm talking about :p

3. DunkinMyCookies

DunkinMyCookies Ancient

Definitely recommend a submit to the TG. It won't do anything but benefit you and the map. Anything a forger misses they usually pick up on.

4. Lunarian

Lunarian Forerunner

I'm still new to the forums but I really think the idea of a rock garden inside of the base...is pretty neat. As far as the Killball goes up top of center base. I thought they add some color to the base. I don't know how half of you have left over money or building materials for lighting. **** is way too expensive. Same with making it night time.

Overall I like the design of the map.

5. Mr Magashi

Mr Magashi Forerunner

The idea of having it hard to run the objecting on the ground is meant to be like that to promote gameplay on the uper tiers of the map. Otherwise they will never get used.

And the base camping thing i think was primarily just because we were playing 6v6. The map is designed for 4v4 but will work for anything up to 8v8.

6. oh knarly

oh knarly Ancient

Looks great mag, my only concern would be the height difference between the ground and the raised platforms. Seems like theres no motivation to be on the ground and you're at a serious disadvantage if you are.

Like I said, aesthetics are top notch but i would add a few intermediate platforms to reduce the height difference and add some more complexity to the map. Keep working at it!

7. Neoshadow

Neoshadow Forerunner

From the new pics, the map basically looks complete. The walkways at the top are a great addition.
    Cant wait until its fully released. Any estimated time?

8. Mr Magashi

Mr Magashi Forerunner

Well, if i get some play tests organised for saturday, hopefully releasing it early next week some time. Or if i don't have time to fully release the map then i will definitely be releasing it next weekend. So any time from now till the 6th of november.

9. kingeedorah

kingeedorah Forerunner

Looks very cleanly forged, kudos. The cover looks good, seems like the right amount to allow for both mid/long range combat and cqc, but not enough to promote camping. The killball seems like it's being used well and I like it, but they are becoming a bit of a cliche already and it might discourage some people from downloading. I might rearrange the rocks in the garden, they look a little funny placed like that. Maybe try setting the tall ones diagonally across from each other instead of back to back? Other than that, it looks pretty nice. Looking forward to downloading it and trying it out.

10. Mr Magashi

Mr Magashi Forerunner

The rocks were meant to be in a gradually increasing height. Hence why they were like that.

11. kingeedorah

kingeedorah Forerunner

Ah, I can see that now. Must be the angle of the picture that made them look like they were the same height.

12. Sgt Surchin

be you prepared for your wall of suggestions?

well too bad:
    • for aesthetic purposes (at the garden) i suggest making the height of the rocks more than just 2 different heights
    • though the kill ball looks nice, it is an unneccesary budget eater (unless you really like kill balls) and i would suggest removing it all together and using that budget to add more detail to the center structure
    • (and now for the center structure) try to find a way to mess with the budget a bit and maybe add a little more decor to the walls of said structure
    • as for the garbage chutes, i am curious to know how much damage they cause going down them but if they cause enough to be badly hurt (damages the health bar) i would suggest a one way shield door at the bottom of each chute to would cushion the fall
    • though the glass tunnel and rocks provide SOME protection, the overall map is still a little too open with the exception of the inner structures

13. Mr Magashi

Mr Magashi Forerunner

The rocks in the garden are all different heights, they go from lowest to tallest, each one getting taller than the previous.

The kill ball is designed to make it harder for the zombies in infection. If you barrel roll up the ramps there is a chance you will then land in the kill ball and die (annoying i know but its funny to watch happen) And it also just adds that aesthetic to the top of the map. It looks empty without it there.

The garbage chutes already contain one way shield doors at the bottom, just above the doorway exits. The shield doors are at the optimum height to not be seen when at an angle from outside the chute but still stops you from taking falling damage. I added the chutes as a way down from the top level without taking damage.

And the bottom thanks to the large central structure and the heights of rocks means that there is absolutely no issue with being open. Its a risk vs reward scenario. In objective gametypes it is much faster to run the objective by ground but by having minimal vertical cover for the ground level it means it is much harder to run it by ground. Risk vs reward.

When you say decor do you mean to the interior or exterior of the structure?

I like how the interior is simple with no wall decor it makes it seem more tranquil and a respite from the hectic outdoors. As too adding decor to the outsides, i am really just not sure what to put. I was thinking of putting something but i just didn't know what to put without making the map look hectic.

Adding stuff to the map may well be hard anyway as i have only got about 150 budget left. And i really don't want to remove that kill ball as i think it works despite being cliche for reach.

14. Sgt Surchin

when i mentioned the decor i was referring to the outer details of the center building. as for the budget i am fairly certain that there is some sort of budget glitch accessible with how much you have left.

15. Mr Magashi

Mr Magashi Forerunner

I don't particularly wan't to budget glitch. But i will try and spice up the outside somehow.

16. Lunarian

Lunarian Forerunner

There is a budget glitch? I know there was one in Halo 3... Haven't read anything about one in Reach. I wish there was a glitch to place as many objects of one kind as you want. Need moar wallzzzzzz.