Transferring Xbox Hard Drive Data

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ElementNineteen, Jul 21, 2010.

1. ElementNineteen

ElementNineteen Ancient

Is there a way to transfer individual save game data from one Xbox 360 hard drive to another?

I've purchased the hard drive transfer cable, but using it transfers every single existing file from one Xbox to another.

I'm looking to take the data of a specific game, and put it on this new Xbox.

Will an Xbox 360 USB Flash Drive work? (Does any Flash drive work in that case?)

2. WaxyPumpkin72

WaxyPumpkin72 Forerunner

You could plug your hard drive into your computer with the transfer cable, and then extract specific files manually. I'll tell you how to do that if you want to use that method. Its exceedingly easy.

Hopefully mods and admins won't consider this to be OMG ILLEGAL HAXORZ!

First, download Modio.

Next, plug you hard drive into your computer. A message will probably pop up telling you to format your hard drive; just say no, or cancel.

Open up modio, and click on the little "M" in the upper left of the modio window. Click on the "Explore My Device" option.

Another window will open in Modio. Click file, then open/close drive. Wait for your drive to load up. The next thing you need to do is find the file that you want. Open the Partition 3 folder, and then open the Content folder. Inside, you'll see all of the gamertags that are on your hard drive. Open the folder of the gamertag that has the save you want to transfer.

Once you've opened the profile folder, find the game. Then simply open the game folder and try to find the save data.

Once you find it, drag it out of the modio window and onto your desktop. Now eject the hard drive you currently have plugged in, and plug in the hard drive that you want to transfer the data to.

Once the other hard drive is plugged in, navigate to the same spot that you went to get the save data from on the first hard drive, and place the save file inside of the game folder. Make sure you choose the profile that you want to have the save.

Now eject it and voila, you have transfered the save. Congrats.

If you have questions or if this doesn't make any sense, just ask about it.

#2 WaxyPumpkin72, Jul 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  3. Bloo Jay

Bloo Jay Ancient

USB Flash Drive:
    Go into your memory settings, find the file, click it and select "copy" then you can copy it to your flash drive I believe.

4. Spicy Forges

Spicy Forges Ancient

Bloo Jay is right, although use a portable hard drive if you have lots of save games, dlc, video, music, etc.

5. ElementNineteen

ElementNineteen Ancient

WaxyPumpkin's method worked, and I was able to get files off of the hard drive and onto my computer, but how do I get them on to the new Xbox (Slim)?

It says that I need a memory stick that's at least 1 gig. If I put the extracted files on that memory stick, then can the new Xbox pull the files off? Even if it can, will it put them in the correct game data folders? ...

EDIT: Oh wait, if I got a memory stick I wouldn't need to use the Modio way.

I'm now considering returning the transfer cable to get a 2 gig memory stick. They cost about the same..

#5 ElementNineteen, Jul 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  6. CombatGam3r

CombatGam3r Ancient

Well you can just the memory stick, but that's a long drawn out method. If you go to your GameStop just buy a transfer cable, you can return it later that day.

My GameStop understand that you need it to transfer stuff so they give you full refund. But hey if you buy a $20 cable and return a it and get $15, $5 is worth hours of bullshit transfers. =P

7. ElementNineteen

ElementNineteen Ancient

Success!

Memory card worked perfectly.

Transfer cable not worth it when it only transfers everything. Flash drive allows you to choose specific files :/

Thanks all!

8. CombatGam3r

CombatGam3r Ancient

No, you can select certain files with transfer cable. For instance, I allready redownloaded all maps for my games before I bought transfer cable. When I used cable I deselected all maps I didn't want to transfer.