Training Ground

Discussion in 'Featured Maps' started by TrueDarkFusion, Dec 16, 2007.

?

How would you rate this map?

1. 1

11.1%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

11.1%
  4. 4

22.2%
  5. 5

55.6%
  1. Shock Theta

Shock Theta Father of 4chub
    Forge Critic Senior Member

AZN, may I suggest an addition to the gametypes for this map? Same as the SWAT variant you made for it, but give everyone 5 lives and turn on the 'respawn on kills' setting. Then set the score to win to unlimited, but put a timer on (6 minutes or something).

The result - even more tension, and you can wipe out an enemy team if you work together really well. Respawn on kills would be very fun I think. Could be good every now and then to mix it up.

I'm loving the return of SWAT - and tournaments sound like a wicked idea!

@tygard: That would be extra cool...

2. Ty

Ty Guest

I'm thinking Rat's Nest could be turned into and intense SWAT map. No vehicles so the long passageways with proper cover could be used for long range fighting, but the indoor areas could work very well for sneaking up behind a team. Standoff could potentially be a good SWAT map as well ...... man I'm going to have my hands full. This is one of the best ideas that's come up yet. ;D

3. Ray Benefield

Ray Benefield Godly Perfection
    Forge Critic

Respawn on kills doesn't work... I tried it for my Dodgeball variant. I wish it did...

And on the more SWAT maps part. I could come up with some interesting maps. And if anyone wants to make one for a tourney, then I would check it out for approval. It is extremely hard to make good SWAT maps, hence the reason for SWAT dieing out.

4. Ty

Ty Guest

I'd always want to playtest the hell out of any map. But I honestly think some of the maps would make great SWAT type maps. I'll see what I can come up with and see if anyone likes them.

5. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

Make sure they work for the version of SWAT that I released for Training Ground, as well as the CTF version. (Note: I have my own SPECIAL version of SWAT now, that you may only play if you play in my rooms, you may not notice the difference... but it increases the intensity a bit). We are going to declare that one the Standard for Forge Hub SWAT, cuz every other SWAT, is not very good.

6. Ty

Ty Guest

I downloaded your SWAT type from this thread, that's the one you want to work right? Your special version note made your post a bit confusing. But i'll do my best to make sure the Map works great for both gametypes. can't have SWAT without a few CTF matches ;D

7. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

Yes, that's the one. The "special" version that I have has one change that only a handful of other people have access to.

8. Ty

Ty Guest

Alright, let's hope these maps come together, SWAT tourney sounds crazy fun.

9. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

If we get like 3 maps together... maybe I can organize something. Or do what I always do and task somebody with doing it. As you sound very interested, maybe I will put you in charge tygard. But only when the time comes.

10. Ty

Ty Guest

I'm thinking there is possibility for more than 3. We agreed The Pit would work well by default, you set the maps with no weapons by default correct? I think some of the bigger maps might need some additional ammo placed, but i'm not sure. I definately think there could be more than 3 good maps for SWAT though. Tonight I'll see what unfolds.

11. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

Infinite Ammo is on... you need not extra ammo. And I didn't agree on The Pit yet... only if it is done correctly.

12. Ty

Ty Guest

Was infinite Ammo in the Halo 2 playlist? I thought that it was limited? The only Cons I could see on The Pit would be people staying and shooting each other from the towers and the spawn rooms would have to be taken out, is there any other cons to that map?

13. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

Lack of cover... it will turn into a run-and-gun match, if cover is not present. It will not be tactical if not done right. You must allow for several paths that have protection when another path is being watched. For the most part, there are spots on the Pit that can watch ALOT of areas, and very few spots with multiple paths with cover. If you know what I mean...

Basically, crouching from cover to cover is what we want. You don't want to force the players to have to sprint from cover to cover by leaving too big of a gap between both pieces. Cover must be plenty and not spread out too much. If someone is forced to sprint from cover to cover, you force them to reveal their position. This is not a good thing. ALWAYS allow perma-crouching safely for SWAT maps.

And with ammo... infinite or not, it really doesn't matter. I would rather have people focus on being tactical as a team, rather than worry about picking up ammo.

14. Shock Theta

Shock Theta Father of 4chub
    Forge Critic Senior Member

^ Full agreement. Shame about the respawn on kills thing, did it just fail to work as in people didn't respawn? Sucks.

I may consider making a map for a possible tournament, but I think I'd rather do it as a group. AZN, if you're up for it sometime that'd be grand. Hm.

15. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

Actually, I may be able to draft you into my secret forging cult... you interested???

16. Ty

Ty Guest

Well I have brought a SWAT map on Rat's Nest to playability last night. We tested it in a single match and everyone said that it played well. It was actually a really intense 2 on 2 game. The Inner Corridors with proper cover give excellent sneaking paths, and the racetrack around the ouside has also been packed with cover to allow multiple paths around the map. I'm actually surprised at how quickly you can basically crouch walk to the other side of the map since it is fairly large. I just finished placing the flag spawns and returns last night. I want to tinker with some scenery, to give it that "Crow's Nest" look and playtest it several times for spawning issues and such. I think that i'll also at least start a new map or two soon as well.

I understand what you are meaning by the Pit being to "open" I'll see if I can make it more sneakable, if not I just won't bother with it. There aren't many large cover objects to work with on the pit. :(

Few questions. Feelings on Shield doors in SWAT? I think it would provide good cover, but then I have a feeling that a team could figure out how to abuse it.
    Is there anyway to turn off vehicle use in Slayer? I looked briefly in the player settings last night and didn't find it, reasoning is because I wanted to use Vehicles for scenery, but if not that's ok.

17. Gravedigger5454

Gravedigger5454 Ancient

This map works better for SWAT then the Halo 2 maps did, because it was actually made for a SWAT. This one is small and provides for close quarters combat, that one on Rat's Nest sounds like it uses the whole map, so it'll be pretty big. I've got a few maps I've been working on that are really unique, except one that makes what has become an old idea much better, and work (sorry about the little ad), but I'd be interesting in making another map for your Team Slayer and CTF SWAT modes, I've thought of a medium sized one that could be created on Foundry and then with Training Ground, Tygard's Rat's Nest map, and mine we'd have three (and then if Shock makes one too it'll be four, which'll be even better).

18. Ty

Ty Guest

That's cool gravedigger I've been planning on doing a few of them not just the Rat's nest one, but I want to make sure they are good Tactical SWAT maps. I'd love to do one that's partially out in the open on Standoff. I know I could provide good cover between bases, and that would be a sick SWAT CTF map, but I'm still trying to figure out how to work out the Missile Silo areas, I think I can make it work though.

19. Gravedigger5454

Gravedigger5454 Ancient

Stand Off could be good for a SWAT map, and that makes four already.

20. Ty

Ty Guest

If you look higher into the thread, AZN and I where also talking about doing on on The Pit, but we'd have a lot of work to try and make it work. I actually think we could have a good pool of SWAT maps going I wouldn't set a number on it yet. But I'm still waiting for AZN ta answer some of my questions with his opinions on things.