Training Ground

Discussion in 'Featured Maps' started by TrueDarkFusion, Dec 16, 2007.

?

How would you rate this map?

1. 1

11.1%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

11.1%
  4. 4

22.2%
  5. 5

55.6%
  1. TrueDarkFusion

TrueDarkFusion Ancient

Training Ground
    Created by AZN FTW

[​IMG]

How many maps out there are good for SWAT??? Not that many... How many does Forge Hub own? None...

I decided it was a good time to bring back a classic from Halo 2. The Halo 3 community seems to have forgotten about this very popular gametype. However, there was something I never really liked in SWAT. The fact that you could just run-and-gun with no team tactics at all. I wanted to make a map where around every corner there could be danger, and you wouldn't know it if you didn't have a partner. SWAT in Halo 2 was too fast-paced... it was time it slowed down, and became more about tactics, rather than being about who can dodge the fastest.

[​IMG]

I started out by wanting an arena... so I picked a size and stood up some double boxes to get the green panel look on the underside. And I wanted to use the walls to create a sorta maze effect, where you have to look around corners before you advance... so I laid those out. I had space in the center, so I thought some open single boxes would make for a simple way to display the center of the arena. I coverd everything with bridges to give it a nice indoor feel.

Now the gametypes were made to be the new standard for SWAT. I slowed everyone down to 75%... trust me you barely notice. BRs and Magnums for weapons... basically the typical weaponry. I put radars on... and some people asked why I didn't turn it off. It is because with the radar being off you are not worried about giving away your position, so it turns into a run-and-gun match. Crouch is your friend. There is also 2-sec immunity to headshots on spawn. It gives people that spawn a good chance of retaliating. Now there are 4 respawn areas, there is a center spawn for each side, and a back spawn for each side. The center areas have priority, so if they are ever threatened you will most likely not spawn there. I set it up so that if you stay alive for a while, you are constantly moving back and forth between sides.

For the CTF variant... if your flag area and your center area is threatened you spawn on your opponents center area if your flag is at home, and your opponent's flag area if your flag is away. So if your flag is away you will most likely spawn with the rest of your team at your opponents flag. That way it ends up that you will always stick with your team and always have opposition while trying to bring the flag home. This makes for some interesting fights in the center, and for some tactical team fun. Hope you guys enjoy this along with the other great maps brought to you by the AZN!!!

#1 TrueDarkFusion, Dec 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2008
  2. Lone Deity

Lone Deity Ancient

I already have this map ;D

3. Killer Carebear

Killer Carebear Ancient

Yeah I think it's on my recent games list. Swat is probably my best game. I came late (lol) into the party and when it had ended I was high up in kills.

4. Ray Benefield

Ray Benefield Godly Perfection
    Forge Critic

Please download the one that's been published and replace your old one... this one has a description on it and everything. And it would help the download count...

Anyways, the layout for this map took a while to figure out while hanging with Tit and Asper. But after I figured it out, I took 2 hours the next morning and did the environment. Then took about 1 hour to do spawns and such. I think this map turned out great and I am so addicted to it.

5. DareDefyMe88

DareDefyMe88 Ancient

Wow that looks awesome. I will definitely download when i get the new map pack, hopefully by wednesday!

6. Sacui

Sacui Ancient

Downloaded.

7. DRO Maelstrom

DRO Maelstrom Ancient

Dang you AZN, I was making a map like this. You just beat me to publishing it. Ah well, yours is probably better anyways. Already downloaded. I won't get a chance to play it for a long time though, like after New Years.

8. Soggydoughnuts

Soggydoughnuts Ancient

Free for all on training ground is uber FTL!!

lol awesome fun though!

-Donuts

9. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

Yeah... NEVER PLAY FFA ON THIS MAP!!!

NEVER!!! But other than that, it works perfectly...

10. Insane54

Insane54 Ancient

why didnt u make FFA points? ???

11. Klip LK

Klip LK Ancient

Looks great, sucks I am punished though :'(

12. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

The way the Layout is, it could never really fit a good FFA match... It is too small and leads to spawn killing... you can't watch all sides by yourself... that's why having a partner in team games ic crucial... you can't see around corners very well, so your teammate does it for you...

13. Soggydoughnuts

Soggydoughnuts Ancient

Yea FFA on this map just leads to many many curse words and bloody massacres of tiny woodland creatures.

However Team Swat leads to happiness and lets more woodland creatures live through life.

-Donuts

14. Twilight

Twilight Ancient

This map isn't really up to the forge hub standards, in my opinion.

Not that its bad by any means.

15. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

^ that post confused me... ???

16. Lone Deity

Lone Deity Ancient

Probably a mis-type. He meant isn't up to standards, understanding the second statement.

17. shinzon

shinzon Ancient

Question; what basic map is this? ( is it one that comes on the basic game disc or some thing you get over X-box live?) I just got Halo 3 about two and a half weeks ago, and I have no X-box live access for the time being.

18. Ty

Ty Guest

It's on Foundry, one of the maps from the Heroic map pack which was just released. You have to have XBL to download them.

As for the map, Tactical SWAT is awesome, and I'm downloading the map because I miss that playlist/gametype from Halo 2 the most. SWAT rocks, are we going to play a match or two of SWAT this Fri?

19. Ray Benefield

Forge Critic

And why wouldn't we?!?!?! I would love to get a SWAT Tourney together... teams of 4 or something... that would be awesome.

20. Ty

Ty Guest

you know, we should have more SWAT type maps, I think The Pit would work alright by default, but if you wanted a tourney we'd need a bucnh of "Urban Combat" type maps. Either way I'm in ..... and I think I may construct on of these maps .... or at least try.