To Interlock or Not to Interlock...

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by EpicFishFingers, Mar 11, 2009.

1. EpicFishFingers

EpicFishFingers Ancient

I'm forging on Sandbox in the skybubble, and I'm making a map that requires a very large floor made of double blocks. Now I've started making them and so far I've interlocked, but there's a lot of z-fighting.
    The 'floor' is meant to be walked on and driven over, however if I don't interlock I might get bumps and I WILL get criticised for not interlocking when I post the map here; but when I do interlock, the z-fighting is terrible.

So, which should I do?

2. OrangE BloB

OrangE BloB Ancient

don't interlock, if it's got better gameplay, then do it.

3. makisupa007

makisupa007 Ancient

Z-Fighting

You should try double tapping the spawn indicator. Fly down as close to the glowing spawn orb as you can directly centered above it, then tap A twice very quickly to pick up and drop the object. That usually settles the object as low and as level as it will be. That method consistently ensures the boxes are at the same height on the Z axis. Although, I don't have the Mythic Map Pack yet, so I don't even know if the spawn orbs are in the center of the blocks you are using. Good luck.

4. Yeti

Yeti Ancient

Well, if you're afraid of people criticizing you for not interlocking, then the people who do are only making the Forging Community worse. I feel that interlocking isn't needed in every map like some people think. That mindset is the cancer that's killing the way we look at Forge.

So, by saying that, unless you REALLY believe it needs to be interlocked, then go ahead. If it will make your map that much better, I insist that you interlock.

5. What's A Scope?

What's A Scope? Ancient

Bumps are never as bad as they seem in Forge.

6. EpicFishFingers

EpicFishFingers Ancient

Very good, is that true?

7. Cerberus Beast

Cerberus Beast Ancient

I can understand your problem, as it has happened to me many times before. Personally, with the improvements made to the bump problem by Bungie on Sandbox, I would say guess that interlocking would not be necessary. Also, all of the interlocked space can add up, thus allowing you to get a more sizable floor should you choose not to interlock. I do not hate interlocking, I use it quite a lot. However, on Sandbox it is not entirely necessary to make good gameplay.

8. ZANDER1994

ZANDER1994 Ancient

Z fighting? Expain.

9. makisupa007

makisupa007 Ancient

Z

Z-Fighting is the flicker caused when objects are not aligned on the Z-Axis vertically.

10. ZANDER1994

ZANDER1994 Ancient

So wait. You are saying that you don't want to interlock because then the boxes flicker? There's always ways around it. You just have to have a lot of patience.

11. EpicFishFingers

EpicFishFingers Ancient

That's the problem. I'm patient enough to interlock, but that's about as patient as I get.

12. Shedo

Shedo Ancient

Bumps are even on interlocked maps, also.
    Do as you feel is better for your map.

13. ZANDER1994

ZANDER1994 Ancient

Well then it's a decision about being lazy, and my, and everyone else's opinion does not count on that matter because it is up to you to put the bar where you want it to be.

14. SCUPizzaBoy

SCUPizzaBoy Ancient

The only thing I have found in the object set that really needs interlocking is the tube ramp into the tube piece. Without interlocking, walking out of a tube onto a ramp causing a bump so big that there is a moment you cannot jump because you are in the air. Most of the tube piece edges were built pretty terribly.

15. EpicFishFingers

EpicFishFingers Ancient

Well, I want to have the community input their suggestions too. I'll be less lazy if need be.

16. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

If you can create a seemless floor floor without interlocking, but then have Z fighting when you do interlock, then it seems your are interlocking the objects too far into one another. I'm creating a floor made of blocks as well, and I've only interlocked them a hair into one another without any z fighting at all.

17. abandoned heretic

id rather have a map that plays well than that flicker also not interlocking will give you a bigger floor

18. Conkerkid11

Conkerkid11 Ancient

Well, seeing as this is a Sky Bubble map, I think interlocking might be necessary, due to the pretty large cracks that the boxes on Sandbox provide us with. It would kind of get annoying having your grenades fall through the map, now wouldn't it?

Although I may be a bit off with that whole thing about grenades falling through the map thing, it does happen, and getting bumped up 5 feet into the air everytime you walk over a box is also annoying.

Like Draw the line said, just interlock them a hair. This whole z-fighting thing can be avoided so easily.

19. jtbksc

jtbksc Ancient

I prototyped my Skybox map without any interlocking and every crack swallowed grenades so bad that I decided to interlock everything.

20. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

It's not about laziness, it's about necessity. Interlocking isn't nearly as necessary as it is on Foundry. There are exceptions, because as was already mentioned there are some serious gaps between certain objects. Personally, I find grenade spam pretty annoying, so being more accurate with your throws so they don't fall into a hole should be considered a good thing. But it'll all depend on how the map ends up playing. Bumps will be there whether you interlock or not, especially since the default items are slightly larger than the newly spawned ones. Just keep all that in mind when you make your final decision.