Foundry TheMountain

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by MetalViking360, Feb 15, 2009.

1. MetalViking360

MetalViking360 Ancient

Map Title: TheMountain
    Can you hold the top of this goliath?

Download Map
    This map uses the "CrazyKing" gametype of King Of The Hill

Description:
    [​IMG]

This map's main feature is is the central sky-scraper, on top of which there is the single hill capture point. Individuals battle to reach the top, with other players standing in their way

[​IMG]

In order to stop would-be snipers from making sure nobody takes the hill, the top of the hill is surrounded by shield doors.

I also surrounded open walls of the rest of the mountain itself with shield doors; the reason being as to force players to combat and climb the mountain, stopping a breakout of just a slayer match below, which is not what was intended.

These can be seen below:

[​IMG]

Inside, it is not just a simple fact of climbing stairs. There are bridges to traverse and weapons to collect. There are also corridors that extend from the bridge for fighting, and the longest of the two holds a rocket launcher at the end. Although, this path leaves you wide open to fire, so I do not believe this would make the player over-powered. However, I am open to opinions on this matter.

For the same reason, though it is possible to grenade-jump onto these corridors, it would be foolish for any players as they would be left wide open with no shield power.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notes:
    Anyone who has played my maps before knows that I am not very good at aligning pieces in a straight line. I was helped in this by Tarby249, and some credit goes to him.

I am open to any suggestions on this map. Thank you!

2. Hunter85792

Hunter85792 Ancient

Well it looks like a pretty fun map from what I can see. I'll download and get back to you.

Oh and by the way, if your trying to align two objects (two single boxes ex.) place one where you want it to go, then place a fence box against one side of the box so that it's flat against the single box. Then spawn your second box and lay that against both the single box and the fence box (in the "L" shape). I find this technique works very well.

Anyway keep up the good forging.

3. Belly391

Belly391 Ancient

Yeh looks like a good map but consider making a v2 and geomerge etc. one more thing shield doors around the hill is a bad idea but that my opinion. ill dl when i get my xbl back

4. OrangE BloB

OrangE BloB Ancient

Looks very sloppy but the initial idea is alright, maybe a bit more of a thorough run-through with interlocking and it should be better, but for now, i can only hope you'll create a v2

5. ShreddedDreamz

ShreddedDreamz Ancient

the forging appears sloppy, but looks like no real effects caused by it. Now this appears to only be playable for KOTH, so you were right with that choice. My big issue with this is the high amount of shield doors. Shield doors = either camping or frustration. I dont know if this is my personal preference against shield doors or what, but high amounts of them make me angry-face. All in all it seems like it would not necessarily be fun (might be) but an interesting game of KOTH.

6. MetalViking360

MetalViking360 Ancient

thanks guys. The main reason I used shield doors is to stop snipers. If a sniper stays back and constantly locks onto the hill, he/she could stop anyone from ever taking the hill, and that would just be no fun. However, if most people believe that this won't be a problem, and the general consensus is no shield doors, I will remove them for v2.

This map is actually reasonably old, and my forging skill has increased since then, so I hope v2 will be less sloppy. (Might start work on it soon.)

7. MichMaster32

MichMaster32 Ancient

this map looks like a nice map to play some king of the hill on. but to me it seems like an older map. i dont know if you made it a while ago or if you are a beginner t forging. anyways the map looks nice but it looks like there is only one entrance, which could create frustrating game-play.

8. redearth

redearth Ancient

This is one of the few examples where interlocking would not have been useful for just aesthetics, but gameplay as well. I would like to see this map remade, in a clean version. It looks sloppy quite simply. The way king of the hill was executed in this hill appears to work very well though. 3/5, it could have been made much better, and that will cost you.

9. AI_Twitch

AI_Twitch Ancient

This map has excellent potential, squandered by its sloppiness. Make another version with the possible help of a more experienced forger. If you want my or Shadow's help the gamertag we use is ShadowSpy9730. Ask for Twitch, if the AI system is working i could be able to help you as long as Shadow allows.

Best of luck,
    AI_TWITCH

P.S. The communications system is down, so if you do choose to use me as a tool, I cannot speak to you, however; Shadow is sometimes useful in trying to explain my intentions, and he could use his microphone to communicate with you.

10. Phantasm

Phantasm Ancient

ok he understands it is sloppy and could use a cleaner v2. well i hope he does anyway. also, it looks like you used no walls, fence walls, or double walls. these would replace the shield doors very well. not many ppl like them. so, i wud create a v2 with interlox, less shield doorz, and umm idk the layout seems nice so keep that. i give it a 3,007/5,923

11. The Number 0000

The Number 0000 Ancient

The map looks like it has a fun layout. If your forging skill has improved since then I would suggest to straighten things up just a bit, and maybe try to interlock some of the double boxes. Other than that it looks like it would be pretty fun. 3/5 Keep Forging.

12. Pomegranate17

Pomegranate17 Ancient

this map looks like a great map for crzy king and slayer but make a v2 without the shield doors as they could promote campin especially in crazy king