The Windy City

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Casual Maps' started by burgervan, Aug 3, 2008.

1. burgervan

burgervan Ancient

The Windy City
    Created by burgervan
    Inspired by Orbitalshot's Hurricane Town

Supported Gametypes:
    Slayer
    King Of The Hill
    Territories
    Infection

Map Description
    Inspired by Orbitalshot's Hurricane Town, I set out to make a more detailed, aesthetically pleasing, and all around better playing map. As much as I loved the idea of Hurricane Town, the sheer amount of flying debris made it hard to play games other than Infection. There's still plenty of chaos in The Windy City, but it's slightly easier to get across the map without dying. You also don't have to worry about getting blocked into a building by debris.

In King of the Hill modes, the hills are all out in the open among the wreckage, but in Territories, the action is centered on the buildings and structures, all of which have multiple access points. Of course, Infection is still a blast.

Welcome to The Windy City.
    [​IMG]

The houses that are lucky enough to still be standing have been boarded up.
    [​IMG]

Some got by with only minor damage.
    [​IMG]

Others weren't so lucky.
    [​IMG]

The old hotel seems to be locked from the inside.
    [​IMG]

The town's famous lighthouse has seen better days.
    [​IMG]

Amazingly, the gas station is still intact, but it seems like it could blow at any moment.
    [​IMG]

Be sure to take shelter when you feel a gust of wind coming on.
    [​IMG]

Suddenly, the hotel becomes accessible by climbing the debris.
    [​IMG]

It looks as though the bottom floor is flooded.
    [​IMG]

Watch out for looters.
    [​IMG]

They'll use the debris to their advantage.
    [​IMG]

Keep your head up and good luck!
    [​IMG]

Download The Windy City *updated*

#1 burgervan, Aug 3, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
    Ryan. K. likes this.
  2. Wally12

Wally12 Ancient

This map looks really cool. I like how everything is supposed to be blown apart. Also, it looks very neatly constructed. Good job. 5/5.

3. N1SS3 200

N1SS3 200 Ancient

looks realy fun so im gonna dl this and play it tonight, 4/5, keep up the good work!

4. PingPongLegend

PingPongLegend Ancient

i think you just made up the backstory to compensate for your sloppy forging
    jk
    good job i like how debris makes things accessable

5. Brain Hacker

Brain Hacker Ancient

wow looks good but looks like that hurrincane town map it has the exact same object thrower thing with the saties and man cannon

6. Floppy2276

Floppy2276 Ancient

Dang! I like the fact that the falling debris can be a blesing or a curse. you must of thought this one out quite a bit. You get a DL.

7. burgervan

burgervan Ancient

The debris thrower is the same basic idea as the one in Hurricane Town, but I made it from scratch to look a little nicer.

8. aguy1700

aguy1700 Ancient

nice looks like a ton of fun espeicially the way debris makes stuff acsesible will dl and play asap for sure.

9. FreshCherry

FreshCherry Ancient

i love the idea! is it the fusion coils that cause the wind or just the gas station. anyway, good job making it realistic and making a (kind of) nice story. DLing now

10. Obibital

Obibital Ancient

Very nice, the building layout is interesting. i like how someone actually based a map off mine. for that i thank you Burgervan. my only concern for infection games is that there doesnt seem to be enough enclosed buildings for a well played infection. my version 4 will be more detailed in the building designs. i like this map very much and you have just made my day, well night. but still amazing job 5/5.

P.S. the doors can be blocked off and i ment that to happen occansionally. it gives some of the humans a chance to hide until the door opens up again. but i had found later on that it can can be annoying. so it will be fixed in the v4. please FR me and i bet combining out forging abilitys we could make one hell of a map, possibly a hurricane town V4 or a windy city v2. my gamertag (at the moment,(it changes every month no cash)is orbitalblast.)
    P.S.S. Thanks for advertising my map too its been dying in the fourms. i hope this will help it.

#10 Obibital, Aug 3, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  11. ThPerfectDrug77

ThPerfectDrug77 Ancient

i haven't played hurricane town yet, so i can't say whether yours plays better. it does however, look much better. i'm gonna try both and see how they add up. seems like you improved on the initial idea tho

12. Lv. 8 Black Magic Wizard

Wow it looks great!!! 4.9 out of 5 ill get my brother to dl for me cuz mine wont work...

13. Wu pmouse

Wu pmouse Ancient

i hav to dl tis it looks really awesome 5/5+dl and how did u get the hotel and all the stuff getting trashed after the debris falls?

14. Huntar

Huntar Ancient

yo this looks sick! 5/5 you definitely got my dl!

15. Squiiddish

Squiiddish Ancient

Downloaded fo sho. I see splatters in my future, I'm too inobservant for this XD

AWESOME interlocking and aesthetics, uberkudos for that. My only complaint is that ther's a real lack of not-power weapons on the map. In fact, there's a lack of weapons in general. It could potentially be perfect if you added a few more little guns to pick up.
    Also, I think it would be col if you staggered the launch of debris (meaning it all doesn't go at once, set everything on different respawn timers so there's just a constant, but lighter, hail of stuff)
    Sooo 4/5

#15 Squiiddish, Aug 3, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  16. Speed-e-cake

Speed-e-cake Ancient

This map is awesome, TO THE MAX! You successfully made a map that has an Urban / Call of Duty like feel (which most maps intended for those normally have some major flaws) and spiced it up to bring it alive with the debris! Many Urban / Town maps play out well or they don't have good aesthetics but for an abandoned town the aesthetics are near perfect but I think they're too many power weapons, and they were all placed in spots where they would have the best opportunities to be used, that could result in some balance issues. Also you should change the re-spawns of every weapon, instead of leaving them all 30 (10 for the grenades).

#16 Speed-e-cake, Aug 3, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  17. b0ng0fr33

b0ng0fr33 Ancient

i love these type of maps make more make more!

18. burgervan

burgervan Ancient

That was a concern I had myself. I'll keep it in mind and see what others have to say.

I actually tried that, but I found I prefer having big gusts of debris followed by a sort of cooling off time for traditional fire fights to occur. I'll still keep it in mind though. Thanks.

19. Da Pig

Da Pig Ancient

Wow I really like this! I think your town looks awesome, and that hurricane thingy throwing stuff at you is a very good addition. I will download this! 5/5

20. mox rocker

mox rocker Ancient

this map looks really cool i like how you have the damaged buildings as well as regular buildings