The Winding Road

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by Bartoge, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Bartoge

Bartoge Ancient

The Winding Road

The Winding Road is mainly a 4v4 competitive map. The base layout was originally created in Halo 3 and was called Overcross. It was recreated when Halo: Reach first came out. It was abandoned before it ever got going. Later, when I wanted to attempt and revive it, I realized that it needed some real overhauling. So that is what happened. I overhauled the map, and made flow better, look better, and just be overall better. Let's talk about the overall design now. Basically, there is a giant spiral staircase that has several pathways running off of the various landings. The name refers to The Bealtes song The Long and Winding Road, because the main idea is the central winding spiral, and since its not exactly the longest path, the name simple became The Winding Road. Now, for some quick facts.

Quick Facts:

Weapons-
    DMR X2
    Magnum X2
    Concussion Rifle X2
    Energy Sword X1
    Focus Rifle X1
    Needle Rifle X4
    Plasma Rifle X2
    Spiker X2
    Plasma Grenade X4

Gametypes-
    Team Slayer
    Slayer
    CTF
    Assault
    KOTH
    Oddball
    Stockpile
    Territories

Pictures:

[​IMG]
    The base is clearly viewable from this shot. There is a spiker on that ramp, and at the top of the ramp near the other path lies a concussion rifle.

[​IMG]
    In case you needed to see more of the base. There are two quick jumps ups to the top base created by those corner bridges.

[​IMG]
    The sword is located in Top Mid. There are lots of long range battles between the two sides of the map.

[​IMG]
    Bottom Mid houses a focus rifle. Although not as much action occurs here when compared with Top Mid, this is a useful path for getting to the base without as much fuss.

[​IMG]
    The Basement is one of the later addition to the map. It connects Bottom Mid to the Top Mid and the bases.

[​IMG]
    The Connecting Hallway leads all the way from Top Mid to the bases.

[​IMG]
    This is the rest of said hallway.

[​IMG]
    The little mini base here lies right outside the door of the main base and contains a health pack and two plasma grenades. It, also, was one of the latter additions to the map's layout. It helps make moving throughout the map much faster.

[​IMG]
    To the left of the mini base is shown here, and leads to Top Mid.

[​IMG]
    To the right of the mini base is shown here, and leads to Bottom Mid and the Basement.

[​IMG]
    Here is a simple bird's eye view of the map, in case you are still having trouble picturing the layout.

Action Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Download The Winding Road Here

#1 Bartoge, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. Ramen 6378

Ramen 6378 Forerunner

Although I've only played on this once, I can say that it's a very nice map. I love the addition of the Focus Rifle, as it's not a weapon that's commonly placed on maps like this. There are plenty of ways into each respective side, and gameplay never feels too claustrophobic or hectic.

Really nice work on this! You have my download.

3. spoog911

spoog911 Forerunner

Amazing map i love play testing it,there was and i hope to see more of your maps soon,You got my download.