The Temple of Doom v. 2.0

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Cosmic Rick, Jan 15, 2008.

1. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Re: The Temple of Doom

I am sooooo downloading this. I'm a sucker for anything with traps/other ways to kill the enemy without using those damned fusion coils.

2. WingsPwns

WingsPwns Ancient

Good job on this map, Im downloading the map now. I think I see a part where you have to crawl to get underneath, this part turn me on alot. But other then that it still look great. Im downloading now, Ill get on later to let you know if its good or not :squirrel_wink:!

3. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

I think you're just talking about the picture with the falling dumpster... Don't worry, you don't have to crawl anywhere on this map. I made sure of that. I just realized that there is a forge-autoplaced objective point floating in the upper tunnel in assault, but it doesn't really effect gameplay. I'm waiting for a few more people's opinions before I release version 2.0, though. Let me know what needs a-fixing.

4. opothehippo

opothehippo Ancient

This map looks awsome, finally something worth downloading. I'll queue it right away, and try to give you back some advice or something. If you want to get a party together to test it, you can add me: opothehippo

5. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

I like the use of gimmicks in this. Especially the whole 'rolling dumpster' thing. Awesome.

6. Roche178

Roche178 Ancient

Looks sweet I love how you use scenery as traps.

7. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

So, anyone who wants to help me out tonight (Thur. Jan 17)...

I've fixed the dumpster door (it's 99% unbreakable now), added safety bunkers for the attacking team, and I'll be fixing spawn points later today. Just getting ready for version 2.0.

I'll be throwing a 'Break the Temple of Doom' Party around 9:00p Mountain Time. If you want to play some fun games on a fun map and help me find any glitches, add my gamertag, Cosmic Rick, and sign in around then. Thanks.

8. WingsPwns

WingsPwns Ancient

I played this map yesterday with a friend of mine, its really fun! I was suprised. I loved the idea of the of moving dumpster over and over agian, its a real thrill and most people dont realize it at first, I like how the snipers there and you have to wait to get it. The weapon choice of the level was good, everywhere it was placed was good! I didnt like the place where all the window cills are. Theres really no point for them, and the spool next to it is pointless you and use it to jump up due to the window cills. But it was a good map, a great layout. 4.5/5

9. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

The window-sills are there to guide the falling dumpster of doom... with out them, it just falls and smacks somebody on the head. They guide the dumpster down the staircase in a rolling fashion. And I designed it so that you could crouch-jump through the window panel from the spool... Try it again, and I'm sure you'll make it.

10. Stolenpoo

Stolenpoo Ancient

I downloaded it just now and I will be back later to give you some comments. I hope its as good as it looks.

11. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

And thus concludes the "break-the-temple-of-doom-map" party. I managed to get a small group together to play the map. As I expected, it's a little hard to get into the base. However, it was a bit more lopsided than I had planned on. So I'm currently editing for version two. Here are the changes:

1) added an extra mini-tunnel in the defensive base (mostly for spawns)

2) added bunkers on both sides of the attacker's run with a bubble shield and a regenerator on either side

3) took the bubble shield away from the defensive team

4) fixed the dumpster door (no more double blockages, but it's occasionally gone entirely for a few moments (should help with balance)

5) more fully blocked off the map's boundaries

6) toned down defensive grenades a lot (no more setting both passages aflame)

7) modified weapon placements for both teams to be more visible

If anyone who's played this map has any suggestions aside from the above, please share. I plan on releasing version two tomorrow or Saturday.

EDIT:

Due to some technical difficulties, namely my room being covered in a 2 foot thick layer of phone book pages by my friends and a trip out to Vail for some tasty powder, version 2.0 will not be released until tomorrow night, probably... unless my homework and meeting tonight go really quickly. And don't worry, I got my friends back... I covered their car in ~100 '*****' window decals later that night.

12. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

Re: The Temple of Doom NEW v. 2.0

Alright, version 2.0 is up and running thanks to an easy homework assignment and all the help from my playtesters. In case you don't want to go all the way back to the first post, the new map link is here, and the updates are as follows:

1) Dumpster door and dumpster drop tweaked so that they work 99% of the time, rather than 90% of the time... feel free to abuse them.
    2) Added a third entrance to the defender's base which can only be opened from the defender's side. (grav lift behind a shield door, like in the Citadel)
    3) Completely revamped spawn points so that they don't suck.
    4) Did a better job of closing off the map.
    5) Added a spawning tunnel in the defender's base.
    6) Added bunkers to the attacker's trenches complete with defensive equipment.
    7) Moved weapon placements to better balance the map. (no more sword, sniper closer to attackers, etc etc)
    8) Redid objective points for better gameplay.
    9) Grenades toned down for both teams, especially the defenders.

These tweaks should make the map much more playable. The defenders had a ridiculous advantage in version 1.0, which has been evened out as best as I can do without a more sizable research group. I hope you all enjoy the map.

A special thanks to Turbo Gerbil604, my main and most helpful playtester.

13. Ki Jason

Ki Jason Ancient

looks pretty damn good

14. AndywooT

AndywooT Ancient

Ha this map makes me think of ducking through the woods with my rifle hunting for wombats. either way good map. Those traps, i could never get it right whats your strategy for building it?

15. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

I go to an engineering school, so I have a pretty good grasp of simple physics... luckily enough, that's all videogames have in them. It's just a matter of knowing what you want to do, deciding what's available, and then finding a creative way to do it.

For the dumpster door, for instance, I floated a door so that I had a straight line to put my guides (the weapon holders and teleporters) against and used barriers to balance them on when I placed them. It's really amazing what you can do with forge... especially with all the knowhow available on these forums.

16. AndywooT

AndywooT Ancient

Thats why you are more awesome than me.

Keep up the good work

17. G043R

G043R Ancient

SOLD ... I love your dumpster droping pic.. downloading ... you took a good time making that to work... good job...

18. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

So, I'm pretty happy with the shape of this map right now. It's my crown jewel for the moment. But I need some people to play with on it who aren't screaming obnoxious 12 year olds I picked up in matchmaking, lol. Add my GT, Cosmic Rick, if you're interested in some fun objective games in the Temple of Doom... or if you want to help me test out codename:pJ, coming soon. Thanks for the DL's and the comments, guys.

19. Guardian

Guardian Ancient

This is an interesting looking map, I have qued it for download, looks like a great concept. Nice job!

20. !nikheizen

!nikheizen Ancient

Love the new version, you're welcome for the help and thanks for letting me help you test it.
    I like this map because it really employs the gameplay of the map itself to let the player develop strategies. I just can't remember, did you increase the time for each round of the game?
    there is one thing that I think you might want to think on in upcoming versions of the map:
    the Indiana Jones style rolling dumpster can easily be used as cover for the defending team and if pushed, can block off both entrances at once, but since it takes a long time to prepare it might be alright