The Temple of Doom v. 2.0

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Cosmic Rick, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

Map Link: Temple of Doom
    Gametype Link: None, this map supports all variants as far as I can tell.
    Suggested Gametype Variants: One Bomb, Single Flag, Infection, Territories

Welcome to the Temple of Doom, version 2.0. This map should work (well) for any gametypes. My favorites are CTF, Assault, and Infection. It was designed with asymmetrical games in mind, but should work pretty well with symmetric maps as well. As the attackers, you first have to pass through either of two symmetric trenches. Then things get interesting. Here you have your choice of going through the top or bottom passageways into the defensive base. But there's a spinning spool of death that can catch you either way if you're unprepared. At the end of both passages, there's a dumpster, which will block one of them, depending on the existence of a grav lift. Both teams can destroy it, and both teams have a portable grav lift to lift it back up if need be. Once the defender's base has been infiltrated, the attackers can go off to the side to open up an extra entrance by destroying a protected grav-lift. Finally, in the base, there's a dumpster which can be dropped onto the objective point and down the stairs by the defensive team to mash any intruders.

The screenshots are below and should be a fairly in-depth overview of the map. Please DL and have fun with it... It's the first map where I've had real fun playing 1 v. 1 and 1 v. 2 objective games. If you have any comments or suggestions (especially with spawn/weapon placement), please leave them below. I think this map is pretty balanced (favoring the defenders a little bit more at the beginning of a round). And again, this should work for all gametypes. After some more playtesting, I may make some custom variants for use with the map. For now, though, use your imagination. This took a lot of hours to playtest and get the kinks out, so have fun!

Updates:

Essentially, version 1.0 favored the defending team way too much and it was impossible to get into the base. I did the following to correct that:

1) Dumpster door and dumpster drop tweaked so that they work 99% of the time, rather than 90% of the time... feel free to abuse them.
    2) Added a third entrance to the defender's base which can only be opened from the defender's side. (grav lift behind a shield door, like in the Citadel)
    3) Completely revamped spawn points so that they don't suck.
    4) Did a better job of closing off the map.
    5) Added a spawning tunnel in the defender's base.
    6) Added bunkers to the attacker's trenches complete with defensive equipment.
    7) Moved weapon placements to better balance the map. (no more sword, sniper closer to attackers, etc etc)
    8) Redid objective points for better gameplay.
    9) Grenades toned down for both teams, especially the defenders.

Shut Out
    Probably the most effective and active defense available in the map, this 'dumpster door is set to move up and down depending on the existence of a grav lift below it. The grav lift is easy to destroy, to block off the bottom passage. But both teams have access to deployable grav lifts to lift it back up and block the top passage. Attackers have a clear shot at the lift from the bottom passageway, but will have a difficult time getting rid of it from the top (think fire and spikes)
    [img width=600]http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/2713/shutoutcv8.jpg[/img]

Door
    Here's the door from the defender's side. The weapon holders function as a 'sleeve' for the dumpster. Note that the defenders can see into the top passageway from their base. Also note the addition of a third entrance on the top left.
    [img width=600]http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7799/entranceaa4.jpg[/img]

Your Choice...
    New in version 2.0, you can pick your way into the base from the top... so long as you've destroyed that grav lift from the inside first.
    [img width=600]http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2460/pickqf2.jpg[/img]

Indiana Jonesed
    Here's another little tool the defenders (and the attackers, if the defenders aren't playing attention) can use to mash up their enemies: the falling dumpster of doom (kinda like the rock in those Indiana Jones Movies). It works particularly well in objective games, since the attacker's goal is generally right underneath it. It can be set off in a number of ways. A good grenade will give you the fastest results, while shooting the fusion coil is slower (both the coil and a propane tank have to blow up to set off the drop). Sometimes kills in 1 hit, usually just hurts really bad.
    [img width=600]http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/2494/indianajonesedam4.jpg[/img]

You Got Spooled!
    Here's the third and final gimmick of this map: The spinning spool of doom. This little baby whips around both the top and bottom passage in a circle, killing or severely injuring anyone who isn't patient when crossing the danger zone. This adds a sense of danger to getting the power weapons: a sniper up top and a shotgun down bottom.
    [img width=600]http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/4956/spooledgy5.jpg[/img]

Spool Trap(Top)
    Here's another view of the spool trap.
    [img width=600]http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3565/traptoplg2.jpg[/img]

Defensive Base 1
    Here's a high shot of the defender's base. Note that there's no longer a shotgun in the box behind the staircase. That tunnel in the back is where the defenders come out if you're in the base. Watch out!
    [img width=600]http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7550/defje1.jpg[/img]

Defensive Base 2
    And another angle.
    [img width=600]http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9002/defense2wh3.jpg[/img]

Attacker Base 1
    Here's the Attacker's base. It's pretty simple, as this map was designed mostly for asymmetric games. The map is pretty balanced for 2-way games, too, though, especially with the new defensive barriers.
    [img width=600]http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/707/atkie8.jpg[/img]

Attacker Trench
    This is the view as the attackers exit their base. There's another one on the opposite side. Now there are protective bunkers to hide/spawn in, each with a spike grenade and defensive equipment piece. This one has a bubble shield. The other: a regenerator.
    [img width=600]http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6295/trenchbz5.jpg[/img]

Attack Bottom
    Here's the attacker-side view of the bottom passage. THE SWORD IS NOW A SHOTGUN... just so you know.
    [img width=600]http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3466/atkbottommg9.jpg[/img]

Attack Top
    And the top passage into the defender's base.
    [img width=600]http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7700/atktoptv5.jpg[/img]

Tight Spaces
    This map makes for some crazy close calls in the passageways between bases. Avoid these by making the dumpster door do your bidding.
    [img width=600]http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5294/tightspacesfs0.jpg[/img]

Finally, I'd like to thank my roommate and fellow playtester, Derek. He hates Halo, so if I can make a map that he has fun on, I know I've done my job.

2. Maxwell360

Maxwell360 Ancient

Re: The Temple of Doom

Looks like a pretty good map, :squirrel_rocking:

3. Insane54

Insane54 Ancient

nice post...the map looks interesting, but theres no download :squirrel_wtf:

4. FantasticDuck

FantasticDuck Ancient

Looks killer man, no pun intended. Can't wait for the DL

5. ShadowSnip3r RC

ShadowSnip3r RC Ancient

It's about time someone make a map like this. I've always enjoyed the Indiana Jones movies and now I'll be able to experience them online in Halo. The spool reminds me of the scene where its not a spool chasing Indiana Jones but rather a huge boulder. Anyway, looks like a fantastic map that I'll definently be sure to download. I'm assuming theres a variant to go with the map right? Hope so. Nice work and good post.

6. voodoo

voodoo Ancient

This looks awesoome. I love all of the innovations that are used, especially the "shut out" dumpster door thing.

7. SykoOne

SykoOne Ancient

Looks really insteresting.

8. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

Alright, We're now in open beta, as it were. If any of you have any suggestions (particularly with spawns), I would appreciate them. Also, I think the weapon placements are fairly balanced, but if you guys see anything you don't like, let me know. And of course, I'll accept structural criticisms... keep in mind that I am at both the item number limit and the $ limit.

9. Cr0ok3d

Cr0ok3d Ancient

I will queue it for now. I might not get to play it for a while though.

Finals suck.

Maps looks awesome. Great creativity and looks put together well.

10. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

This map looks really interesting. I'd like to see how those traps were implemented. I'll download this and try and get back here with a review.

11. furbyxxx

furbyxxx Ancient

i hope this map plays as good as it looks

12. Kapura

Kapura Ancient

I am a big fan of scripted events in maps, so long as they don't interfere with core gameplay. This seems pretty good, and I look forward to playing it.

13. Blazen Nite

Blazen Nite Ancient

all the little traps and triggers look really interesting. the thought of indirectly messing up your opponents isounds cool

14. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

OK, after playing a little bit more, I've decided that the dumpster drop and spinning spool work perfectly. (sometimes the spool gets stuck to give the attackers a quick break, but that's ok) The dumpster door, however, needs a little tweaking that I'm already working on for v. 2.0. It still works well enough to play on, but can be broken if you're particularly devious.

My spawns also need some work... it's hard to make a map that plays well on generally all gametypes, apparently, so I'll look into improving with better spawn areas, etc.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

15. chromebandit

chromebandit Ancient

Good recreation. I like how you took topics from movies and made them into maps. I have no idea how you managed to use up all the $ (I could never). Any chance you're going to make another?

16. Kapura

Kapura Ancient

I think that the map works OK, but the spool moves waaay too fast. Standing in the main path for about 3 seconds results in death. I think it would be better if you took away as many man cannons as possible without breaking the cycle. Also, seeing as the spool moved so quickly, the grav lift is almost useless.

17. Legendary_REACH

Legendary_REACH Ancient

looks fun, now for the download...

18. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

I really like the "dumpster door" idea.

19. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

I disagree with Kapura. I think the spools move at a fine pace. You have to time your jump across there or you're dead. I can only imagine how intense it is when someone is chasing and shooting at you. This map looks really cool and I'll have to hold onto the file until I can actually play it with some friends.

I forgot to try the dumpster smash thing. I guess I have to go back and do that now.

20. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

Replies:

Everyone: Thanks for the warm welcome.

chromebandit: Thanks, though I'm not sure I'd really classify this as a re-creation... Unless you imagine the dropping dumpster is a boulder (my roommate always sings the Indiana Jones Theme when he gets crushed), the spool as a swarm of auto-triggered poison-darts, and the dumpster-door as a cheeky monkey with a funny hat... I'm still working on a way to incorporate the whole heart-pulling-out-thing... 'Kali-Mah, Kali-Mah!'

Kapura: I'm confused on what you means about the grav lift being useless... It's there for the attackers to use to lift the dumpster door, not to do anything with the spool (and there's stairs right there to get up). Unless you mean using the man-cannons to go from level to level, which I thought about trying... I actually had an active camo hiding in the spool loop for anyone foolhardy (or good) enough to get to. But, like you said, the spool is just too fast. And I can't slow it down without making it severely less deadly and having it get caught on edges too often. I'm with Furious on this one, though. It's just fast enough that you have to pay attention in order to make it through alive. You should never be staying somewhere for 3 whole seconds anyway.

Furious: Tell me what you think of the dumpster drop thing. It's mostly an extra obstacle, but it's so satisfying when you get somebody dead on. Also, everyone note that you can set the damage and health to 50% so that the traps become deadlier without changing gameplay if you want.

Everyone again: If anybody, especially you experienced forgers, has any map-design suggestions, let me know. I'm already thinking about adding little bunkers in the Attacker's twin corridors, for instance.