The Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Agamer, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Xun

Xun The Joker

Looking forward to Hobbit, Batman and Spider-man. Never heard of The Lorax, but the trailer was entertaining.

A few movies I've seen recently were Chronicle and Underworld 4. Chronicle was pretty badass, but the found footage filming and semi-crawling story may make people bored. It's a good story however, and the main actor, Dane DeHaan, does a pretty convincing job.

Underworld 4, though, seemed like a cash-in to me. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it, but it's story was very thin and seemed like something that could have been done in 1/10th of the time. As I see it, they couldn't get Scott Speedman back until the fifth movie, so they just made a place-setting movie to tide-over the fans until the next one is made. Seriously, for those who have seen it, please observe the following...

The story could have pretty much be condensed into a ten minute intro sequence, but the director managed to stretch and already stretched idea into an entire movie. It basically went; Selene wakes up in lab, Selene escapes from lab, Selene finds other vampire, Selene finds daughter, Selene fights werewolves, Selene finds coven, Selene fights more werewolves, Selene loses daughter, Selene teams up with disillusioned cop, Selene goes back to lab, Selene fights even more werewolves, Selene frees daugther, Selene fights end of level bosses, Selene sets out to find Michael. Tell me I'm wrong.

Sure, there was a lot of faff in between all that, but that's basically how it went. I couldn't find much substance to the story and it didn't engage me all that much, but there were a lot of flashing colours and loud noises to distract me during it's relatively short running time, in comparison to the first and second movies, anyway.

It's still worth a watch if you like the series though, just don't go in expecting a masterpiece.

#261 Xun, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. RightSideTheory

RightSideTheory Legendary
    Forge Critic Senior Member

3. Xun

Xun The Joker

Daniel Radcliffe is just too short to be believable as an adult in any movie. Plus, he'll never escape Harry Potter. Good on him for trying to branch out, but it's just not working for him. Rupert Grint is better.

Also, the trailer for that movie explained pretty much nothing.

4. Black Theorem

Black Theorem Ancient

Saw 21 Jump Street, Ghost Rider 2 in 3D, and Project X this weekend.

And of course I kept the cheap 3d glasses.

Its the whole "geeky boy gets the girl next door" framed around this stupendously crazy party. it was a C+ if i had to rate it. a little predictable, but the music, recording methods and Costa was great.

Ghost Rider 2 was ehh. nic cage looking like a dad with a mid-life crisis wasnt too thrilling. Idris Elba's character was interesting. It's very annoying to try to follow a lot of the dialogue in the script. The little backstory on the Ghost Rider demon sets up GR3 pretty easily, Jak and Daxter style. Mostly watched this to kill time between the two others. C-

Now, the best for last. 21 Jump Street had me laughing almost literally for every minute. Plenty of "sarcasm" and slapstick, but the great fleshing out of the bromance is what holds the attention. Basically, its The Other Guys 2012: not as good, but much funnier in my opinion. And both have Rob Riggle, so an A- for me.

Oh and I only paid for one movie. and soda.

#264 Black Theorem, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  5. Auburn

Auburn a dope soul

I have at least eight stacked on my dresser, lol.

I give Project X a 4 out of 10. It became repetitive about halfway through and the ending was just to unrealistic. I wanted to smack my friend seated next to me after seeing it. The fact that it was of the "found footage" genre didn't help either. It was entertaining for the most part though and the soundtrack was excellent.

I hate blowing $20 to see a movie I thought would be great.

#265 Auburn, Mar 19, 2012
  6. TexturedSun

TexturedSun Ancient

7. CHUCK

CHUCK Why so serious?

man i've been following this guy from back when it was articles of a rumored alien prequel. i can't believe how truly awesome it's looking to be.

i've got it above The Dark Knight Rises and the Hobbit in my list of movies to see. RIDLEY SCOTT SCI-FI IS BACK. YEAHHHH.
    Weyland TED Talk 2023 - YouTube

8. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

it looks amazing...
    but it is also the general plot of the television hit series Ancient Aliens

9. ThrowinDemBows

ThrowinDemBows Takoyaki?

**** MICHAEL BAY AND HIS STUPID ****ING ALIEN TURTLES!!!!

article

****!!!

10. RightSideTheory

RightSideTheory Legendary

Got that from reddit? Lol.

But yeah, I'm not excited about Teenage Alien Ninja Turtles. He even said "Kids will believe these alien turtles exist", which prompts the question: has Micheal Bay finally gone from a bit crazy, and a horrible director, to full retard?

#270 RightSideTheory, Mar 19, 2012
  11. PacMonster1

PacMonster1 Senior Member

12. CHUCK

CHUCK Why so serious?

if only daniel day lewis would have ended up in that lincoln movie, now that i would see

13. Xun

Xun The Joker

That question should answer itself. If he does end up ruining my childhood by making the Turtles aliens, I will send a polite letter to Mr President Obama asking him to kindly contract the same fellows he sent out to find Mr Bin Laden, and send them for Bay.

What a ****, I can't believe he would change something so iconic for the sake of making a buck. It's in the ****ing title; Teenage MUTANT Ninja Turtles. They're not aliens, you imbecilic ****.

14. TexturedSun

TexturedSun Ancient

I believe, gentlemen, the time has come to assassinate Michael Bay.

15. Xun

Xun The Joker

Just finished watching the Bourne movies again over the past three nights. I forgot how awesome those movies are. Not sure about Legacy, but I will still give it a chance to impress me.

16. Transhuman Plus

Transhuman Plus Ancient

Have to admire the moxy it takes to **** up one beloved childhood franchise and then move onto another. Maybe in Transformers 4 the Decepticons will also be vampires or something.

17. Monolith

Monolith Ancient

So I've been watching a lot of movies on Netflix watch now. I recently enjoyed eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, trainspotting, one flew over the cuckoo's nest, world's greatest dad (not my favorite, but still decent), precious, jackass 3 (some people hate it, w/e, it's still amusing).

Does anyone have any suggestions for netflix watch instantly? I don't have the delivery service. And preferably include something similar to the above, even though they're pretty different.

Possible choices: the thin red line... and that's pretty much it.

I'll watch documentaries.. if there's anything like exit through the giftshop, i'll watch it, though i'd rather watch a moveh.

Anyways, that's all.

#277 Monolith, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  18. Rorak Kuroda

Rorak Kuroda Up All Night

My recommendations would be Shutter Island, Brick, Wristcutters: A Love Story, Boondock Saints, Memento, Serenity (watch the series entitled Firefly first), Pulp Fiction, The Usual Suspects, A Clockwork Orange, Donnie Darko, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Kick Ass, Limitless, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

19. Monolith

Monolith Ancient

Thanks for the list :D I crossed out which ones I've seen, I'll take a gander at the rest.

Edit: I've heard a clockwork orange is creepy- memento, the usual suspects, and limitless sound very familiar

#279 Monolith, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  20. Wood Wonk

Wood Wonk Ancient

yes, there are a few somewhat disturbing parts, but it is a very good film. its pretty tame compared to something like salo.