The Mega Crag

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by AwwJeah, Apr 17, 2008.

1. AwwJeah

AwwJeah Ancient

The Mega Crag
    Created by AwwJeah

Supported Gametypes:
    Crag Bomb

Map Description
    Back when Halo 3 was first released, I designed a map called The Aggro Crag. To my surprise, the map really took off and it quickly garnered nearly 1200 downloads. The original objective of the map was to mimic a Nickelodeon game show I'm sure many of you remember from the 90's called GUTS. I was told that I should become a member of Forge Hub by a guy on Bnet who went by the username Horacio Quiroga.

While I was flattered, the original Aggro Crag was kind of messy and chaotic and just wasn't worthy of being posted in Forge Hub. The limited resources available at the time just wouldn't let The Aggro Crag live up to it's full potential.

But after months and months of work I am finally ready to unleash it's successor, The Mega Crag! My biggest goal with The Mega Crag was to create a map that tweaked the core elements that made the original so much fun for the better and to fix everything that was wrong with The Aggro Crag. Namely, I wanted to encourage actual fighting on the structure itself, add much more cover, balance the weapons, add an extra level below the structure, and just generally make the whole thing bigger! I can definitely say without a doubt that The Mega Crag is bigger, better and so much more polished than it's older brother. Even though I didn't actually intend to enter it, The Mega Crag won me top honors in The Clan O7AH 1st Annual Go Forge Yourself Contest. Kickin' rad!

The map is designed to be played with Crag Bomb. In Crag Bomb, both teams compete to be the first to grab the bomb, ascend to the very top of the Crag, and detonate it within the heart of the structure. Unfortunately, The Mega Crag is incapable of being blown to pieces like it's predecessor, but that's a small price to pay for a way more polished map with a stable framerate, I should think.

Behold! The Mega Crag!
    [​IMG]

A view of the Blue Team's base.
    [​IMG]

Close to the very top.
    [​IMG]

In conclusion, this took me way too many hours to craft and polish and frankly, I never want to see Foundry again :). Thanks to anyone leaving feedback. I've tested this to death and I think this is about as perfect as it's ever going to get, but of course I'm always welcome to criticisms. You can never be too polished!

Download The Mega Crag
    Download Crag Bomb

#1 AwwJeah, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. Craz

Craz Ancient

First off, it looks amazing, and I remember the show. I'm surprised there haven't been more things of this nature posted.

My only "criticisms" would be that it is hard to get a feel for it on only one pic, granted, indoor pictures are a pain to get. Secondly, and you'll hear this a lot, but interlocking objects is definitely the ultimate in "polishing". Of course, it isn't required for a good map, but it can add to the overall visual effect.

3. AwwJeah

AwwJeah Ancient

Ask and you shall receive! More pictures in the OP.

And I'm afraid I was completely unfamiliar with the idea of interlocking objects when I first started this project back in December. But any project I make from now on definitely will.

4. Revenant

Revenant Ancient

It looks nice, but at the same time it looks cluttered.
    You may want to put more pics in, it'll help you get better rep for the map and it shows more detail to us ( the critics...? )