The Mechanar

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by TNF, Sep 2, 2008.

1. TNF

TNF Ancient

To make the bases more equal, I made it harder to get into the attacker's base. Maybe think about this before you comment: One base is huge, sniper base, a BR platform, a second BR platform, camping slots. The other base is a 2 geo merged double walls and 2 single walls. Maybe base 2 should be harder to get into, considering it has nothing. I don't know, I thought people would pick this up easier though. By the way, those two bases are the bases in Mechanar, if that wasn't picked up either. No offense meant JEEF, just please either test, read the description, or AT LEAST look at the pictures before you comment.

JEEF likes this.
  2. Zendarrun

Zendarrun Ancient

This map is amazing.

I usually don't like "open" maps, but this one is godly.

Gameplay: 9/10
    I have played this twice now, and I'll tell you. It flows like a river, and has caused me to die many times from being destracted by the awe-inspiring construction (it happens even more to my friends).

Layout: 8/10
    Nothing to say other than it works wonders. A little bit more cover would be nice in certain areas, but it still works better than most of my maps (It's hard to get a good layout with the style I use in forge).

Asthetics: 10/10

When I see Geo-merging like this, I get lock-jaw from my jaw dropping.
    I myself hate to geo-merge, and am not very good with what merging i do, so I REALLY appreciate good Geo-Merging. (Will you geo merge for me? Pweeeeze?)
    Interlocking is smooth, nearly flawless, and attractive (as sexy as walls and boxes can get at least....)

OVERALL: 10/10

I hardly ever say ten out of ten. It takes a sh*tload of work to even get me to download! I myself See this virtual dreamland being featured. I can almost put money on that!

TNF likes this.
  3. mushman101

mushman101 Ancient

Wow, this map looks amazing from what I can see so far. The interlocking looks fantabulous and the whole layout of the map is pretty impressive. You've got my DL

4. zeusthegoose365

zeusthegoose365 Ancient

I had a great time testing the map (even though it was only two games because i had to go). The map is just beautiful, and the interlocking is the cleanest i've seen in most the maps i downloaded. Not much to add, the triangle is beautiful, and the weapons are evened out great, which explained the great game play we had. Also, I dont know anybody dedicated so much to their map that they would spend 200 hours on it. But thats why it turned out so great. 5/5. I downloaded it two seconds after you sent it to me on live. Pretty much flawless

#24 zeusthegoose365, Sep 2, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
    TNF likes this.
  5. Metallic Snake

Metallic Snake Ancient

beautiful, just beautiful. im a BIG fan of INSANE geomerging, and what you have hear is just that. the layout looks decent, although a few structures might have beeen seen before, like the star boxes, and the fence walls, as well as the bridges, but if it works, i say your fine using it. however, originality is a new featured maps standard. this has a nice look to it, and i especially like the sniper bridge(yes i know JEEF showed you it, he showed it to me too, and it is sweet).but ill definetly check this one out, and report back when ive played on it a few times. on my newer map, im making it with the purpose of insane geomering in mind, and plunging headfirst into dificult merges, so i guess i have myself and arch enemy here. >:D muahahah!!!! nice map, and good luck on your next.....your gonna need it to beat what ive got in store! muahahaha *caugh* oh, but cearialz, nice work here man

TNF likes this.
  6. II AceMasta II

II AceMasta II Ancient

Wow a very nicely forged map yet again Bl00D it looks great do you think i could have a playtest of it with ya? If i can send me a friend request over live. Thanks!

My GT is II AceMasta II

7. Mr Pokephile

Mr Pokephile Forge Labs
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Um TNF did more than me, Make sure to tell him too. Like Yeah :p Don't get the rong impression.

8. TXGhost

TXGhost Ancient

Super sexy map, this is getting a whole lotta hits over in our super secret boards of Forge Hub. Great job with the map. Love it lots...

squidhands likes this.
  9. Phreakie

Phreakie Ancient

looks like a great map and i played this with B100D F1R3 the other day and it was a blast. Great map the interlocking looks good and i love what you did with that double decker wall in the corner.

10. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

Me and I SeNTiNeL I (dude, your name is way too much effort to type) had a thorough forgethrough and semi-serious 1v1 run around on this map, and I can only echo his sentiments of, frankly, awe at what you have done here. As a map, it just feels and looks amazing, plus fluidity of movement and general running-and-jumping-around were a real joy. It feels big yet small at the same time because the structures are imposing and separate the map nicely yet you can move from anywhere, to anywhere with relative ease and variation.

I actually disagreed with I SeNTiNeL I about the flatter area with the starbox-bridge structure. Whilst I did feel that it lacked the imposing, vertical feel of other areas, I kinda liked the visual style you'd achieved there. I know the starboxes have been done before, but I felt that your implementation was the most subtly attractive and seamless use of the idea to date. I really liked how that area played as well, it may have been lower but the objects were perfectly placed for pushes or just hanging around, the open single box being a great example of how much a single, well placed object can compliment an area massively. I did feel that it would have been the perfect place for one or 2 stickies though, as I often found myself hiding or passing through there in desperate need of a blue-ball.
    I too loved the sniper tower, both for form and function, and was really surprised to hear that it was designed by another guy. It fits perfectly into the map and could easily have been designed for it. But hats off to JEEF, its something to behold and plays beautifully as well.

Both of us did have the same doubts about weapon placements and their effect on initial pushes though, and I echoed his concerns about the spare clip on the shotgun. I think the power weapon placements seem natural and would work well past the initial stages of the game, but the sniper's potential dominance on initial spawn was a concern, despite the reduced ammo. This is just an idea in principle, and I'm not happy with many of the side effects myself, but I'd be interested to hear your reactions: What about moving the OV to where the sniper is, the shotgun to where the OV is and the sniper to where the shotgun is? Balance issues might ensue, I know, but I'm just musing here really.

But frankly, none of this really detracts from how much I love this map, it just feels complete, not made by any human, and overall right. Serious props to both of you, this is in instant favourite of mine that I can't see myself losing interest in for a very long time.

drak and Linubidix like this.
  11. Team DP

Team DP Ancient

I like that you name maps after WoW, I played for a while.
    +Really nice job on the Interlocking.
    +Very unique gameplay.

12. STEClash96

STEClash96 Ancient

Very nice map, 5/5, I love all the interlocking and merging. Everything is soooooooo neat. I'm gonna download it now and play slayer. Very nice map and I hope to see more from you in the future. This could maybe, Even possibly, Get featured!!!

EDIT: I have downloaded and played FFA slayer on the map, The gameplay was superb. (Spelling) And It was great with 4 players.

#32 STEClash96, Sep 3, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  13. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Okay, I'm back with some critiques from a forgethrough. I've got a few issues with some of the spawn system you guys set up. I'll use the CTF settings as an example, as it was the only setting I had the chance to look at individually this morning.

The respawn areas need serious work. The one for the Defenders that is set up around the starting spawns don't even cover any regular respawn points, only the starters (I didn't like the one Starting Point high up on the Fence Wall/Wall ledge combo either. Ideally, players should have 3 seconds or more to move forward unhindered before they have to change direction, especially when starting). There's another one in the center that is a long, very narrow rectangle and it only covers 2, maybe three of your 31 respawn points. And finally, the Flag Away respawn zone for the Attackers only covers three spawn points that stretch from one side of the wall to another. This would put the Attackers at a serious disadvantage if the other team were to score even a double kill. You'd end up with two guys spawning far away from each other at the same time, and that could lead to a really easy flag cap for the other team. this all assumes you're playing multi-flag, which you guys have indicated isn't the map's forte, but I wanted to point it out anyway as something to update in a version 2.

I can't comment on playability since I was only able to do a forgethrough. It looks very well made and I really love some of the structures you created, but it didn't seem to have a very good flow when I was learning it's pathways. The only real flow came from the bridge on the Defenders side, and that seemed to make it really unbalanced from a Team Slayer standpoint. Everything else had to be reached by jumping it seemed, and seemed to break up the overall quality of the map for me.

This may come across like I'm bashing the map; I'm not. I actually quite like it. There are a bajillion maps posted here, and if I didn't think this was worth the effort to type this wall of text then I certainly wouldn't do it for a map that I think sucks. One thing I've learned from trolling the MLG forums is that all of the maps that are released that play really well are ones that are constantly being tweaked and updated, spawns especially. With the rare exception, no map will be perfect on it's initial release. That should be what feedback is for, to help guide you guys to make this thing perfect. Good luck, fellas. You're onto something really good here.

Draw the Line likes this.
  14. Bottlecap

Bottlecap Ancient

All I can say now is I likes it. A lot. I knew to expect something that looked god from TNF, and somehting that plays well from BLOOD FIRE, but... when those two come togetha.. babies are made and things are said you won't remember the following morning. Triangular bridge... never seen something like that used so well or made to look that cool. The constant variation between high and low points.. lets just say that makes things far more interesting. And whoa...

Oh and ya... to anyone who thinks that BlooD Fire, a premium, lover of purple and father of three, would steal a map... Well if you think that then Ill just go ahead and take a dump in your mouth. Right now.

Mr Pokephile and TNF like this.
  15. Soul

Soul Ancient

This looks like a well-thought out map. The many unique buildings give the map an urban feel, at least to me. I'll try and get a better look at it if my brother ever stops screaming at the Xbox...

16. Tex

Tex Ancient

Herblah[her-blah], and the idiocracy [id-ee-ah-crah-see](new word, just made it up), is kaput[kah-put].

So...Now that sdrakulich[es-drack-oo-lich] knows, and understands the situation[sich-oo-ay-shun], let us all put this behind us.

Blargh[Blargh]

Mr Pokephile likes this.
  17. Given To Fly

Given To Fly MP Level Designer
    343 Industries

this map is very original,
    I love the sniper spawn, the flag spawn, and the bubble shield spawn.
    which i've seen, but think its cool. also the starboxes with the bridge, i dont like it too much, but it reminds me of those little minty things! :]
    very nice map 4/5 you should have a weapon list tho, so we could help think of more ways to help you make it better

18. SPAGETTII

SPAGETTII Ancient

From the pics, the map looks awesome. Aesthetically, this is one of the better maps I have seen. The structures look really cool and really unique. All the geoglitching used in this map makes it look like geoglitching is easy. I know for a fact that angled geoglitching is especially tough and time consuming so props to you guys for that; I am in awe that every object is geoglitched. I love the sniper tower most of all. It is really cool what you did with those bridges. I am sorry that I don't have an xbox because I really wanna check this out in more detail but from what I see, I have to tip my hat to you two. Nice job.

19. BAMFthesenior

BAMFthesenior Ancient

That is truly a superb map, forge wise and game wise, I thank you for making a map as well as that one.

20. Stealthyhawk14

Stealthyhawk14 Ancient

this map looks awesome
    5/5
    very unique