The Great Escape

Discussion in 'Reach Casual Maps' started by Smokemonster, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Smokemonster

Smokemonster Forerunner

2 Player Co op Challenge - The Great Escape

The Great Escape - a 2 Player Co op Challenge

All good maps need a back-story, so here's mine:

In the year 2762, the Covenant have built what they consider an escape proof POW camp where they plan to house all the problem POWs, i.e. those that have made multiple escape attempts in the past. What the Covenant don't realize is that they've put all the best escape minds in one location. After a string of unspeakable incidents in the prison showers involving soap being dropped, prison authorities have decided to equip each detainee with the Armor Lock armor ability so that prisoners may protect themselves from such unpleasant acts of sodomy. Beginning your mission equipped only with the ability of armor lock, you (Spartan Steve McQueen) and your cell mate must now take advantage of this new ability to orchestrate your great escape from Stalag Forge XIII, the most secure prison ever build. After escaping the compound you are then tasked with capturing the Covenant flag which is the key to securing victory in the ongoing CTF wars between Covenant and human forces. In doing so you and your cell mate must make your way to an intergalactic portal which sits atop the prison structure and will allow you to delivery the flag direcly back to your home world.

Map Last Updated 16 December 2010: I've now added a checkpoint about halfway through the map in additional to adding quite a few more puzzles. If you have any trouble finding the checkpoint, it is just below the killball (pretty easy to find because there's only one kill ball. I have also improved the game type so when you die it no longer ends the round although if you are the surviving team mate you might need to go back for your buddy. You can now also play on the same or on opposing team, doesn't really matter but auto aim can be a pain if you do choose opposite teams. Apart from using my Great Escape gametype there aren't any rules you need to follow so anything goes in getting to the end. Double jumping, etc is definitely allowed. You will also need to learn the not so ancient art of "jetpack jumping" in one section. It's a bit like double jumping but with a jetpack, i think you get the picture. The game does not support playing as an Elite as you will not be able to crawl out of the initial spawn section where I have constructed an Elite trap to prevent people cheating. It was necessary to make this change as playing as an Elite makes this map much less challenging.

The objective of the game is basic - 2 players must escape the fortress and carry the flag to the end of the map negotiating various obstacles. Once you capture the flag you have completed the puzzle and it will prompt the game to end. This game is designed to support only 2 players who have to work together every step of the way to succeed. One final note on this map is that the objectives required to complete the game are all in plain site, so don't go looking for hidden portals, etc. There is no glitching required in this map, for example a lot of maps require you to suicide to progress or to make use of fixed weapons, whereas I have tried to make my map intuitive and more about team work than exploiting some random glitch. Good luck and let me know if you finish the map or break it. Any feedback on improvements would be much appreciated.

I'll give one clue for passing the first room because it's probably the hardest stage to figure out. You need to use armor lock and have your team mate use you as a ramp to get the hog over the barrier. I'll let you guys figure out the rest.

I have uploaded a more challenging version of the map called "The Great Escape - Advanced" to my fileshare in which I have made a few of the jumps a bit higher and more challenging, but if you know how to double jump then it wont be so hard.

If you like this map, please recommend it to you friends. Good luck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 Smokemonster, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  2. ptto911

ptto911 Forerunner

Looks good! I'll try it out and maybe post back here.

3. Detr1us

Detr1us Forerunner

Can you upload more pics? can't really see a lot!

4. Smokemonster

Smokemonster Forerunner

I've tried but I only seem to be able to upload 2 pics. If I add
    any more it just comes up with a question mark image. Am I doing something wrong?

#4 Smokemonster, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  5. Detr1us

Detr1us Forerunner

#5 Detr1us, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  6. Smokemonster

Smokemonster Forerunner

I've updated the dead link to download the map as i deleted the map to make a few changes - also added a few more pics

7. Classy Midget

Classy Midget Forerunner

Sounds fun I love doing puzzle maps with my friends.

8. KobraFire

KobraFire Ancient

excellent map especially if you have someone who enjoys doing them the puzzles really test teamwork. You should make some more coop maps and if your haveing doubts so to the picture just dl it wont hurt you

9. Smokemonster

Smokemonster Forerunner

I've updated this map as of 7/11/10 - Now includes a monorail ;). Just added a few additional screens as well. Btw anyone beaten this puppy yet? If you can beat it let me know!

#9 Smokemonster, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  10. KobraFire

KobraFire Ancient

ok ill go in dl it i was wandering is there anyway to get the warthog across the gap instead of just using the ghost

#10 KobraFire, Nov 7, 2010
  11. Smokemonster

Smokemonster Forerunner

No the gap is too far for the hog. If you are having trouble getting up to the ghost you might need to crouch jump. Also don't forget to help your team mate across the gap before you jump the ghost

#11 Smokemonster, Nov 7, 2010
  12. Cowco231

Cowco231 Forerunner

this was EPIC.
    getting through this didn't feel like being stuck, but trying to find another way. me and my friend got this down to a mastery, and we could go halfway through without much conversation.
    as for suggsetions:

add a check point system. we kept dying over and over, and restarting was a huge penalty

more puzzle like challenges. when we died, it wasn't because we screwed up, but because he stepped into a killzone by acceindent, or i splatterd him, or he jumped too far

you did pretty well on aesthetics, but thats sacrificing budget over mabye another puzzle or two

8/10 from me. nice job

13. Smokemonster

Smokemonster Forerunner

Thanks for the feedback. It's funny you mention a checkpoint system as I've now added a checkpoint about halfway through the map in additional to adding quite a few more puzzles. If you have any trouble finding the checkpoint, it is just below the killball (pretty easy to find because there's only one kill ball. I have also improved the game type so when you die it no longer ends the round although if you are the surviving team mate you might need to go back for your buddy. You can now also play on the same or on opposing team, doesn't really matter but auto aim can be a pain if you do choose opposite teams. See if you can beat the updated map and can you upload a vid of when you completed the map because I didn't think anyone had beaten it yet and I'd be interested to see if you completed the puzzles as I intended?

14. A SILENT EMU

A SILENT EMU Ancient

This map was really fun to play with a friend and probably one of the best puzzle maps I have played yet on Reach. A few parts were really unique such as the jet packing and vehicle parts and I liked the fact that it really required teamwork unlike most puzzle maps. The checkpoint was also a great addition and the map looks nice. I recommend this to anyone who likes puzzle maps and even if you might think you don't to give it a try. The only thing is this should probably be posted in mini game maps. Great work!

15. Smokemonster

Smokemonster Forerunner

Did I make this too hard I wonder lol. Might put a walkthru on Youtube I reckon

16. Ducky8624

Ducky8624 Forerunner

This is a fantastic map!! I love the co-op!

17. Smokemonster

Smokemonster Forerunner

Added a few more updates. There's now a couple of sections were butterfly jumping is required to make things a bit more challenging. Also made a few changes so greater use can be made of armor abilities.

thanks mate. Did you get past that bit you were stuck on?

18. Dur

Dur Forerunner

Great map.

Me and a buddy just completed this map. It was great! I hope that there will be more like it. It was absolutely wonderful.

19. Gino

Gino Forerunner

Part 2?

Me and my friend love this map! Although we played it with 3 players...and we made all the way to the end all 3 of us(really but fun hard) But b4 we could finish I decided to take a Break..I love the fact we had to use vehicles and such..and It was really long and cool..will they be a part 2?

20. pauljohn

pauljohn Forerunner

Ahhhh, we like it cause it's challenging...but holy mackerel! Can't figure out how to jump the wall (after the Ghost over the gap).

I bet it's something simple, too, and we're thinking too hard.