The Generators

Discussion in 'Reach Casual Maps' started by Plasma Blades, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Plasma Blades

Plasma Blades Ancient

Revisions are underway! So far, I've added about 4 pieces of cover to the main area, making it look like the military was holding off there as the evacuated crates from a lower level up to that level. I moved the AR in the red-path tunnel so that ammo becomes more of a concern. In addition, there's more cover there. Based on that, I'm not sure if damage need be altered, since everywhere is close quarters now, what do you all think?

And, on top of that, I'm working on improving the final area, pertaining to size anyway. So, provided that, I feel it's necessary to ask an opinion of those who downloaded the map, or feel that they can answer. Are the rocks and grass necessary to the atmosphere of the map? do they set a certain tone that improve overall on the map, or would the change to a more metallic look be worth it considering the size increase?

I should be able to post an updated version in two or three days if I get some responses to what I mentioned, so thanks to those of you that do!

2. Xtermin8R645

Xtermin8R645 Ancient

Nice, I'll give this a try sometime... but I got one question though. Is the final area the green space? It didn't seem very clear what the map's ending is.

3. Oli The G

Oli The G Forerunner

The ending is definatly unclear. I think you should make it with a tripmine door in full honesty, but definatly not with the grass, im not too keen on it. Its a welcome change from the metal, but it seems too sudden, too out of place

4. Plasma Blades

Plasma Blades Ancient

Yeah, the ending is that grassy area. It's far too cramped though, and therefore I'm working on revising it. Ideally, it would be as large as the initial spawn, but that's very unrealistic considering budget.

And Oli, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a trip mine door. As in, losing the crate and mancannon and simply placing a trip mine that the humans cannot bypass? If that's the case, the forced spawn of the final trip mine would make it nearly impossible to enter the room.
    As far as the grass goes, upon consideration I've come to the same conclusion. Ideally, I would love for the room to remain one-way, but I can understand the claustrophobic feeling given by the final area at the moment If made substantially larger, I don't think the demand for escape would be as present.

However, making this larger presents a secondary problem. It would mean that the zombies would be able to enter that final room at any time, since a single entrance in a large area would be even worse than the cramped area alone, and if an infected gets there prematurely, they would have to wait for the human to open the door, and that may not even happen.

5. Oli The G

Oli The G Forerunner

great job on the updates, played it again and it works a charm!

6. Plasma Blades

Plasma Blades Ancient

Thanks Oli, glad to hear that things are better with the map. I've only tested it with the revisions once, so it's good to see that you find it in working order as well. The final area has slightly increased in size, which I think was a huge flaw. Granted, it's still not a massive area, but at least it's slightly less claustrophobic.

7. timmypanic

timmypanic Forerunner

Hello, this is looking awesome. Great work on the post, a great description and presentation. The map is looking cool and a the colouring and aesthetics really set the atmosfear of this infection map. Great use of objects and object colouring and effects, the gametype looks like fun in this map, looking forward to testing this out with friends. Great job

#27 timmypanic, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  8. Plasma Blades

Plasma Blades Ancient

I was discussing with a friend the other day the possibility of making a generator style map exclusive to Halo: Reach, Would anyone be interested in seeing a map intended to be built on Reach that follows this style?

9. 12qwazx

12qwazx Forerunner

Yes, also where the **** is the evac zone? I tore the map apart on forge and couldnt find it.

10. AboveHaloMaster

AboveHaloMaster Forerunner

This map is just awesome, I love the infection idea and the map has great potential, and it has my download.

11. HALO vToxiK

HALO vToxiK Forerunner

Really detailed and fun map to play.

12. Plasma Blades

Plasma Blades Ancient

Once you activate all the generators the door behind the human spawn opens. Originally there was supposed to be a a falcon outside, but it was deleted due to budget constraints.

As a side note, I got a couple games on this the other day. I was a zombie every round; I came in second place. So, after the update I can definitively say that the new version is sufficiently more balanced. Better yet, teamwork is even more important in this version.

I've already given some thought about making similar styled map on Tempest, and I've designed a basic (VERY basic) layout for how the game will play out. Here's hoping that it'll be even better.

13. SpreadTanTheMan

SpreadTanTheMan Legendary