Sandbox The Gauntlet

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Casual Maps' started by Dragonbladeon, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Dragonbladeon

Dragonbladeon Ancient

[​IMG]
    The first time you look at this map you think, this is simple. Then you look at it again, and you still think it’s simple. It’s most likely because it is. But it’s also incredible fun and even, though it doesn’t look like it, takes well to strategy play and teamwork – in face it emphasises these traits. I guess I built this map because, while I’m a huge fan of strategic gametypes I loathe the time each one takes to play out when your team refuses to work with you, so here’s a small team game that doesn’t last long.
    [​IMG]

So what’s it all about? Gauntlet focuses on two teams of three defending their own base from assault from the apposing team. Both teams are armed with a warthog and a round of plasma pistols each. Both basses are connected via a long bridge spanning across the vast wasteland hundreds of feet below. And in the enlarged centre of the bridge lies a bomb. It’s up to each team to mobilise their team and head to the middle of the map, grab the bomb and head towards the other base. How you do this is really up to you, your three team members can deploy on different ways, either firing up the warthog and heading to the middle for an all out assault, on foot or even splitting up.

In essence you can break your team down into three members:
    [​IMG]
    Driver: As you’re basically downed without your warthog, you’re going to need a driver who can make it across the bridge in one piece and then do battle with the other warthog in the centre podium; whether it’s ramming them off the edge or avoiding gunfire, they’ll need to be reasonably good.
    [​IMG]
    Gunner:
    In charge of picking of ground-troupes, they serve to hinder the condition of the other warthog and force your enemy to think about their strategy.
    [​IMG]
    Bomber/Immobiliser:
    Job involves running through fire to grab highly explosive canister, standing in front of oncoming vehicles to stop them in their tracks with your plasma pistol and going it alone. You knew the risks when you joined up.

The middle is where most of the action takes place, expect burning warthogs and punch ups with plasma pistols to claim the bomb.
    [​IMG]
    As your primary (and only) weapon is the plasma pistol you’ll have to rethink your strategy to a direct assault; taking down your opponents over-shields before they take yours is a difficult challenge, there’s strength in numbers. Upon death you will have to wait thirty seconds before re-entering the action, this is because I wanted to emphasise the impact your strategy, if you’re foolish, run in and die, you will lose because they will make it to your base and blow it. And with two minutes per round, don’t expect to do much once you die, it’s either take it all quickly or die trying.
    [​IMG]
    The Red Base
    [​IMG]
    The Blue Base
    [​IMG]
    Down and Out
    [​IMG]
    Red Detonation
    [​IMG]
    Plant and run

It’s a simple game type but there’s a lot of fun to be had here. The map is meant for a quick laugh with friends or competitive play and development of teamwork skills. And hey, what’s not fun about ploughing two warthogs into one another at high speed? Nothing, that’s what. Thanks for taking the time to read this, hope you enjoy the map.

Map: Bungie.net : Halo 3 File Details
    Varient: Bungie.net : Halo 3 File Details

#1 Dragonbladeon, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. SWEETbabyJEEZUS

SWEETbabyJEEZUS Ancient

this map looks like it would be fun to play with friends in custom games, I like the idea of putting the map in the sky bubble. :)

3. ParaEmbeR 33

ParaEmbeR 33 Ancient

Wow 0_o This looks very nice and is probably extremly fun to play on. I'll give it a try, see what I think. It might help to make it wider, but I don't know. Otherwise it looks awesome.

4. muckynugget

muckynugget Ancient

this looks good from the pics, but can you give a little description and a weapons list please

5. curlybrows

curlybrows Ancient

It looks like many epicnesses would be born upon this bridge of death, though there are no mechanisms to prevent such an atrocity as spawnkilling.

in webbernet speak:
    THA SP4WNKILLZ0Rs W1LL R æP UR soUL!!!one1!!!one!11!

6. exploreTheGore

exploreTheGore Ancient

Did you not read his post. he says that their is only a plasma pistol on the map and he does describe it very well.

On to the map. I too like strategic games and this looks like a true treasure to those who enjoy these types of games. It seems as though it would be very difficult for you to score because of the plasma pistols. One question, are the warthogs invincible. This would make them vulnerable to the plasma but they could not be destroyed. also, is it only supported for 3 verses 3. You only state three jobs so I assume it only supports 3 verses 3 but I don't know because I didn't make the map. Also, would 2 verses 2 work. It would be a lot harder but it also could me more fun. You have earned a download from me and I hope to have a lot of fun on this map.

7. Minime637

Minime637 Ancient

i like it. it looks like a fun, unique, and original map and game type. this map has been very well built, you have done a nice job with the whole map. i agree that this map would be a fun one with friends.
    Overall 4.5/5

8. Mr Garfunkle

Mr Garfunkle Ancient

I love the idea, but you may want to make the bases a bit larger or have seperate pieces to them, because spawnkilling will be an issue. Also, a few of the double walls on the track are a bit crooked, you may want to consider a v2 with a cleaner track (Interlocked if you're up for it) as well as a base with a little more to it.

9. lefty0904

lefty0904 Ancient

I've always wanted to build a map like this. It seems like it would be very fun. That first picture is sweet too lol. Umm I don't really have any ideas on how you could improve it, I'll download it and if I think of anything I'll let you know.

EDIT: I didn't see any crooked walls, and he doesn't need to interlock on a map like this in my opinion.

#9 lefty0904, Apr 8, 2009
  10. Skanky Toast

Skanky Toast Ancient

my only suggestion is that you make the bridge of death like.. two hills as shown in my beatiful graphic here:
    [Base] (Bomb spawn V)'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' [Base]
    [Base]__..::''"::..__..::""::..__..::""::..__[Base]
    ..............[hill].........[hill]........[hill].................<shows what the above stuff means

L0L taht would be fun... and about spwn killing... you can spawn at most 3 times in a game, and there are no long range weapons..

#10 Skanky Toast, Apr 8, 2009
  11. gordofrog

gordofrog Ancient

To solve the spawn kill problem, you could make the people spawn in the air and then fall to the base roof

12. jebby457

jebby457 Ancient

The most simple maps are always the best.