The Crag

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by AwwJeah, Feb 1, 2011.

1. AwwJeah

AwwJeah Ancient

"The Crag is MEGA! MEGA bad, MEGA tough, MEGA EVERYTHING!"

DOWNLOAD THE CRAG

I had originally worked on this 5-story map I dubbed The Aggro Crag back when Bungie's Forgetacular contest was still up for grabs. After Forgetacular ended, I took another look at my original creation and decided that I had finished up pretty hastily in order to meet the contest deadline.

I thought the map could really use some beefing up and tweaking. So with that in mind and not a single Forge Buck left, I set out to do some revamping. It took some work but I managed to add more cover, more platforms and add more playable space on the structure.

I now call it The Crag.

It's leaner, it's meaner, and it's way more badass.

Aggro Crag: Halo Reach Forge Map

Design

To start, The Crag is a 5 story symmetrical map ideal for 4 vs 4 combat but works perfectly fine in FFA. 1 sided objective gametypes also work particularly well. I wanted a map where the players main focus was to control the top of a structure. I forged in the coliseum area but I think it's excellent use of the given space.

[​IMG]

Weapons

4 x DMR
    2 x Needle Rifle
    4 x Assault Rifle
    2 x Plasma Rifle
    2 x Needler
    1 x Shotgun
    1 x Energy Sword
    1 x Concussion Rifle
    4 x Plasma Grenades
    2 x Frag Grenades

Power weapons focus heavily on close quarters combat for gaining the upper hand. I originally opted for a Rocket Launcher but instead decided the concussion rifle was better suited to the space. Tested out sniper rifles but they had to be cut because they just are not suited to the play area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gametypes

Because of the layout, The Crag provides for some really nail-biting FFA objective games (think Oddball, Headhunter, King of the Hill, etc. on top of delivering an excellent team objective experience, which it is intended for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Performance

The Crag is absolutely free of lag, despite coming close to the budget cap. If you explore the map in the forge editor you may come across some skipping frames but that's due to all the extra visual aids that forge has to spawn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reviews

"This looks extremely original and seems to have revolutionary ideas of map design..."
    - Antares777x

"When I play I like to outmaneuver my opponents, and I think this map gives players plenty of opportunities to do just that."
    - TitanC005

DOWNLOAD THE CRAG

#1 AwwJeah, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  2. RoflCat

RoflCat Forerunner

This looks like a nice, well designed map, somehow reminds me of Consruct of halo 3, i love how it looks, i'll give it a DL and look at it a bit more in forge, overall nice job..

3. Talons013

Talons013 Forerunner

OH MY GOSH i totaly remember that show. those were the times man, bein 6, watching it every saturday morning, then i went outside and climbed a tree...

lol, anyway when I first saw this it did remind me of GUTS, and it actualy has resemblence to it to so for that I congradulate you. It also looks like it plays smoothly and I really like the hills bringing you to the main platform. The outside of the base also looks like it has some potential for objective games.
    Is there anything down there like a territory of stockpile flag?

#3 Talons013, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  4. AwwJeah

AwwJeah Ancient

Yes! The Crag absolutely supports everything outside of invasion and big team battle game types.

Thank you everyone for the kind words! I have updated the first post with more detailed information regarding the level in order to capture your hearts and persuade you to download my baby.

Dance my children! DANCE IN THE GLORY OF THE CRAG!

5. AwwJeah

AwwJeah Ancient

Is it against the rules here to bump an old thread? Lol I just got reminded of all the time I spent on this and thought I'd see if I could give it a few more downloads to make it worth my while constructing it in the first place.

Edit: Just had my question answered through a moderator warning, lol. Sorry dudes. Love me.

#5 AwwJeah, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  6. PhantomStrike

PhantomStrike Forerunner

Good job, I like the map layout, but, I think this would best as an FFA because the spawning is a little unleveled for my liking. That's just my opinion so you don't have to edit it, just a suggestion. It is well forged so good job and keep up the work into Halo 4.