The Anime & Manga Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ♥ Sky, Feb 9, 2012.

1. SargeantSarcasm

SargeantSarcasm In Loving Memory

Well that all said, have you seen Evangelion? I mean, if it's just a remastered version I'd probably rather watch that, but if the original is better I'll get to that first.

2. Aschur

Aschur Wubba lubba dub dub
    Forge Critic Senior Member

I personally just felt like she was a forced character, just for the sake of having nekomimi somewhere in the story. Suruba's issues were alot more interesting and unique than what basically was cat possession due to stress.

Maybe I'm being over critical, but I REALLY dont like it when you have a good sized cast of lively unique supporting characters, and then just one of them is a stereotypical "shy class rep" with cat ears as her issue.

As for the NGE vs. Evangelion thing, just go for the new rebuilds. All Ive seen was end of Evangelion and the rebuilds and I caught all the plot points easily enough. Not like anything super major is missing between them.

3. Auburn

Auburn a dope soul

Due to them being released as movies, the remastered series had time constraints, thus several portions from the original series were removed. Of course, the plot was slightly altered so that the movies still made sense without those portions, but certain aspects were removed nonetheless. Personally, I dislike missing segments of the plot that were originally meant to be there, so I prefer watching the initial series over the Rebuild series. Aside from the altered plot, the only major differences are how each version is concluded, how certain characters are introduced, the introduction of a brand new character, animation quality of the movies, and the lack of character depth on account of the time constraints.

I would definately suggest watching the original series and End of Evangelion first. The third movie of the Rebuild series was released in Japan only a couple weeks ago and the final movie (with the alternate ending) won't be released until late next year.

#1283 Auburn, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  4. ♥ Sky

♥ Sky I Beat the old Staff!

Random fact I found out today. The Voice actor for Shinobu (-monogatari) is the same as the voice actor for Haruhi Suzumiya. Random stuff. I thought she sounded like Mio from K-On! to be honest, who is apparently done by the same voice actor as Rias from DxD.

The things you know...

5. Aschur

Something you may not have known, the voice actor for Rei Ayanami in the rebuild series of Evangelion is the same person who voices Mad Moxxi in borderlands (1 and 2), Ciel from Black Butler, Holo from Spice and Wolf, and Chopper in One piece. Chick does alot of stuff. I shouldnt have to say it but those are all for the dubbed versions.

Im not well versed in the names of japanese VA's since I only recently started paying attention to english ones.

#1285 Aschur, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  6. ♥ Sky

The VA for Lillith from Borderlands is also a well known Anime Dubbing voice. She's in FMA, Fairy Tale, Rosario + Vampire, Shuffle and Soul Eater, as well as loads more.

7. Aschur

English VA's that also do video games tend to be some of the better ones.

8. Auburn

Auburn a dope soul

Rei and Holo being voiced by the same person is suprising given they both have two completely different tones of voice. Same with the characters Sky listed. Versatile VA's are versatile.

Unforgettable Anime Tears:
    1. Tomoya Okazaki (Clannad)
    2. Honma Meiko (Ano Hana)
    3. Nakano Azusa (K-ON!)
    4. Yadomi Jinta (Ano Hana)
    5. Okazaki Ushio (Clannad)
    6. Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)
    7. Miki Sayaka (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
    8. Aisaka Taiga (Toradora!)
    9. Saten Ruiko (A Certain Scientific Railgun)
    10. Fujibayashi Kyou (Clannad)
    11. Kushieda Minori (Toradora!)
    12. Nunnally (Code Geass)
    13. Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)
    14. Nefertari Vivi (One Piece)
    15. Kururugi Suzaku (Code Geass)
    16. Tanigawa Kanna (Ano Natsu de Mitteru)
    17. Rei Ayanami (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
    18. Waver Velvet (Fate/Zero)
    19. Index (A Certain Magical Index)
    20. Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad)
    21. Mio Sakamoto (Strike Witches)
    22. Shirley Fenette (Code Geass)
    23. Hanekawa Tsubasa (Bakemonogatari)
    24. Isurugi Noe (True Tears)
    25. Ogino Chihiro (Spirited Away)

When did Hanekawa cry? I don't remember Rei ever crying either, lol. Number one is in its rightful place.

9. tikitike13

tikitike13 Forerunner

I tried to watch roseary + vampire and could not get very far in it can someone tell me if its worth my time since i hate lovey dove horse **** like that

10. Aschur

only really worth it if thats your schtick. You probably wont care for the ending if you already dont like it.

11. Auburn

Auburn a dope soul

Tis romance, so tis will be lovey dovey. Honestly though, I think RV steers more toward comedy and ecchi before anything else.

12. Auburn

Auburn a dope soul

Tis romance, so tis will be lovey dovey. Honestly though, I think RV steers more toward comedy and ecchi before anything else.

13. SargeantSarcasm

SargeantSarcasm In Loving Memory

Alright, I guess I'll watch Neon Genesis first. Thanks.

14. Aschur

Getting damn close to the end of the SAO series, the most recent episode was awesome, next episode will be where they decide to have it continue or to end it, all depends on how they do that episode since right now I could see it go either way.

Also, I need a t-sirt that says [Immortal Object] on it. (You'll understand the phrase if youve been watching SAO after a specific point)

15. ♥ Sky

So, for those of you who don't read my blog, next year I'm going to be watching 1 anime series each month that I wouldn't normally watch, alongside all the stuff I do want to watch.

Burny has recommended me the following, I'd like some more suggestions:

Fooly Cooly
    Hen Zemi
    Katanagatari
    Heaven's Memopad
    Welcome to the NHK
    AnoHana
    Another
    Guilty Crown
    Kids on the Slope
    Sankarea
    Omamori Himari
    Hanasaku Iroha
    Sayanara Zetsubou

Recommend me anything you think I'll like.

16. Aschur

Blood+
    Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin
    Level E
    Zetman
    Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
    Kokoro Connect

Those are my suggestions, I can also say that the ones you mentioned are all good, in fact some of them (Heaven's Memopad, AnoHana) are ****in amazing. Kinda hard to add anything to an already good list, which is oddly close to what I would have recommended.

#1296 Aschur, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  17. Auburn

Auburn a dope soul

Mhm, some of those like Omamori Himari and Sankarea weren't amazing, but I figured they would be something you'd enjoy. Also, I forgot last time, but I would also suggest Shinsekai Yori. Hahaha, I need to stop mentioning that anime.

18. ♥ Sky

Already watching Kokoro Connect Asch, It was one of the potentials for the running series at the Anime Society, but Fate/Zero won. It looked so good I ended up watching it for myself, so I'm now about halfway through.

19. ♥ Sky

Already watching Kokoro Connect Asch, It was one of the potentials for the running series at the Anime Society, but Fate/Zero won. It looked so good I ended up watching it for myself, so I'm now about halfway through.

20. Aschur

Ah okay, I would recommend Psycho-pass and Btooom! in its place, but they are ongoing and I assume you want us to recommend complete series'.