The Anime & Manga Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ♥ Sky, Feb 9, 2012.

1. CHUCK

CHUCK Why so serious?

best blackmail ever.

my first anime was either Dragonball Z or Pokemon, i dont remember. I caught episodes of FMA and Bebop throughout all that as well, but that hardly counts. The first anime i ever hated was InuYasha, that i remember.

2. Waylander

Waylander Ancient

First anime I watched that I knew was anime would be Berserk.

But I'd seen a bit of Battle of the Planets and DBZ before that while I was still in grade school. Just thought they were normal cartoons at the time

3. Auburn

Auburn a dope soul
    Forge Critic Senior Member

The first anime i'd seen was called Blue Seed. I remember strolling around Blockbuster when I was about 9 and picking up the dvd thinking it was a cartoon. I actually forgot the title until recently after doing some hardcore searching. If you like Inuyasha, you'll like this too.

I felt the need to post the opening. Does it not remind you of that old cartoon called Gargoyles? That's offtopic though. Blue Seed TV OP - YouTube

I actually didn't start watching DBZ and Pokemon until after getting hooked on that. Now that I think about it Digimon might have been the first anime I'd seen, just not enough impact for me to remember.

As a sidenote: I know I've said this 10 times already, but i'd recommend anybody to watch Hayao Miyazaki's films if you already haven't.

4. Aschur

Aschur Wubba lubba dub dub

If I were to watch all of the Pokemon episodes in a marathon, I think I just might die. On the site I watch dubbed stuff on, there are 722 episodes of it.

5. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

this is also how i first started watching anime.
    i believe the first ones were things like
    Vampire Hunter D
    Venus Wars
    and other such titles at Blockbuster.

6. Waylander

Waylander Ancient

Would it scare you guys to know that it was the same for me with Berserk?

7. Aschur

Everyone needs to start watching Mirai Nikki and Guilty Crown. NOW. I don't want to be the only one experiencing their awesomeness each week an episode comes out for either of them.

8. ♥ Sky

♥ Sky I Beat the old Staff!

If either has boobs in it I'm there. Otherwise I gotta catch up on a backlog of other Anime. (Love Hina, Toradora, Yu-Gi-Oh Gx (yes, that))

9. Aschur

Sadly, gonna have to be the bearer of bad news (for sky at least) and tell you that neither of them has prominent fanservice or boobs. There may be small cases but both are basically non-existent in them.

While both are good, I would say Mirai Nikki is the better of the two, simply because it has a stronger story to it I feel.

In other news, I just discovered a game coming for the ps3 that some of you may be interested in. It's called Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. I'm bringing this to attention because its a game being made by Level 5, some people behind a good number of great RPG's, and... Studio Ghibli. Yes, that's right, Studio Ghibli is working on the game.

Trailer link

10. Auburn

Auburn a dope soul

I wish my blockbuster still had a good line-up of anime. Sadly there are never any new additions to that section.

I've read Miria Nikki a little bit, but have yet to actually see the anime. I've never heard of Guilty Crown. Is it a jewel that I would normally never hear about?

Sky, I think I remember you saying you had To Love-ru in your list of anime. If you're looking for fanservice that's the anime for you, but beware, as it is void of any sort of plot.

EDIT: I can see both the influence of Level 5 and Studio Ghibli in that game. It basically looks like a mix of Final Fantasy, Dark Cloud 2, and a Studio Ghibli film which isn't a bad thing. FF[10] and Dark Cloud 2 are amazing games.

#270 Auburn, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  11. Aschur

Well, it's up to you whether it's a jewel, but I don't even remember how I came across it first. I doubt it will ever be super popular, but it is so far in my opinion, on par with Darker than Black. If you've never heard of Darker than Black, I suggest you watch that eventually. So, in a sense, just as Darker than Black is a good anime that doesn't get a ton of attention, I feel Guilty Crown will be the same way.

All of this is in comparison to the popularity of anime like FMA, GiTS, and Cowboy Bebop, of which have huge followings.

#271 Aschur, Mar 8, 2012
  12. ♥ Sky

R+V never had a plot. I'll give it a go. Thanks :)

EDIT: On episode 3 and I'm loving it. It does have a plot you fool.

#272 ♥ Sky, Mar 8, 2012
  13. Zigywig

Zigywig Forerunner

If you count manga, R+V definitely has a plot, and its nothing like the anime.

14. ♥ Sky

I seem to be good at finding Ecchi. This one's called Samurai Girls and the art style is quite different to most normal anime. I can't really link to the opening as it has nipples n stuff in it.

I'm on episode 2 and the story seems good so far.

15. Aschur

Samurai girls, yeah, that's ecchi

16. ♥ Sky

The animation style is quite different to other anime so I'm intrigued. It's more pen and ink and the ink blots all over the screen are quite cool, although they do block out a lot of the blood and gore, which is something I was expecting to see a lot of when watching. But whatever.

17. Aschur

Its sadly one of those forgettable anime. Art style can only get you so far. If it were a normal anime in terms of being more focused on story than ecchi, then it would have been more memorable.

18. ♥ Sky

I'm not so sure. I get attached to characters quite easily and I'm liking the main girl quite a lot. Same goes for To Love Ru. I'm falling in love with Lala. I'm so sorry Mizore. What have I done?

19. Zigywig

Zigywig Forerunner

So sad. I'm assuming you're in love with that white-haired girl too.

Thinking about rewatching Code Geass.

20. Berb

Berb Forerunner

I've never been into anime, but i'm going to try and watch some. I found this one called Gurren Lagann on YouTube.