The 2x2 Forge Contest Official Thread

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Rho Fs, May 23, 2011.

1. Equin0x

Equin0x Forerunner

I guess I acknowledge that a feature might be stretching it, but I still think contests like these should be continued.

2. Xun

Xun The Joker

I agree that the contests should be continued. It adds a degree of fun and challenge to try and produce a decent map with extreme constraints. Just dont so something stupid like Columns. :p

I actually let this comp slip to the back of my mind. I havent looked at my 2x2 map in well over a week as Ive been working on another map. Should probably get my ass into gear and get some screen grabs or something. How many others are still working on their maps?

3. 4shot

4shot Bloodgulch

Actually, that's not a bad idea. Columns would make some great submissions, probably more so than these banks did. If Rho Fs does more of these contests, the way we forge may be changed. I've seen some pretty good submissions, and they seem to stray from the normal way of forging due to these restrictions, creating some very interesting maps. Some creators have expressed interest in remaking them with regular objects after the contest ends.

Keep up the good work on this contest, Rho. I'm hoping you can do more object-limited contests in the future. Maybe even do a contest for 'interesting use of objects' or 'best forge techniques'.

4. Equin0x

Equin0x Forerunner

Glad to see people agree with me, I have actually made a list of good ideas for these contests:

1x1 tall and thins
    Ramp, stunts
    platform, Ys

are my top 3

5. Xun

Xun The Joker

Fixed! :D

I admit Columns only would make for some interesting map designs, but it would probably scare a lot of people off from even trying. And it would probably piss me off to no end. I'd still give it a try, though, as Im a sucker for a challenge.

6. 4shot

4shot Bloodgulch

You'd be crazy not to want forging to continue to evolve.

My top 3, in no particular order, would have to be

Column

Brace, Tunnel

Block, 1x1

I've got a great idea for a Brace, Tunnel map, so I'd like for that to be the next contest. It's a unique and underrated piece, and if you flip it over, it makes for a nice texture that works best in the coliseum. It hasn't been used often, but hopefully a contest will show that it's a pretty useful piece.

#126 4shot, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  7. NlBBS

NlBBS Forerunner

Not that big a fan of the single piece competitions, and honestly, hope they don't continue. While they may produce the slightest bit of creativity, you're not letting forgers use all their ideas and potential. I'd much rather have future competitions focus on certain gametypes or map styles.

By the way, this isn't going to be discussed in here. Tis not the right place.

8. Rho Fs

Rho Fs 2x2 Forge Judge

I agree with nibbles. This was JOKE guys. It is inspiring some creativity, but is incredibly restrictive. People need to get back to forging regularly, as it will provide for the best outcome of maps.

This, while fun, should not be a style of forging that is maintained.

9. Xun

Xun The Joker

Well, Ive got my submission for the contest in. Its the best I could do, and I managed to use every single bank 2x2 piece, plus a few other bits and pieces (all within the listed objects, of course ;D ). Ten points to anyone who can guess why I chose to name it what I did.

Not trying to start an argument or to be contrary for the point of it, but why isnt this the place for that conversation? Its about the contest still, or another contest based off of this one in question, so I wouldnt think that it was out of place. Again, dont take this as me being a ****, Im just curious. I fully respect your opinion on the matter. :)

#129 Xun, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  10. Equin0x

Equin0x Forerunner

I understand what you are saying but...

The reason I believe this type of contest should be continued is that it is teaching forgers muliple ways to use unique pieces, further enhancing their forging capability.

11. 4shot

4shot Bloodgulch

Yes, that was what I was saying. Some objects are very underused, and some overused. Almost every map on ForgeHub is made up of around 5-7 different objects, ignoring any other objects. Commonly, maps only use a Bridge Large, Block 4x4, Column, Block 2x2, Coliseum walls, and Walls. Occasionally, there are a few more objects used, but those are the main ones. Restricting objects is a good way to increase the creativity in maps. Forgers will have to find different ways of using objects in their maps. If a different contest is done, we could have some truly insane submissions.

Maybe an asymmetrical map contest? Almost all asymmetrical maps (With the exception of Noxiw's latest creation and a select few others) show some sort of resemblance to Lockout/Ascension/Chillout/Damnation. There's little originality, and a contest that disallows remakes/inspirations would help create great asymmetrical maps. Almost everything has been done with symmetrical maps. I see a decent map every few weeks now, and a good map every 1-3 months. Rarely are these good maps asymmetrical, and when they are they always have something to do with Lockout. Increasing the amount of original asymmetrical maps would really create some fresh customs and better FFA games.

#131 4shot, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  12. SaVaGe SpAnK

SaVaGe SpAnK Forerunner

2x2 submission: SIDEWINDER - by SaVaGe SpAnK

Good Luck to All!

#132 SaVaGe SpAnK, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  13. Rho Fs

Rho Fs 2x2 Forge Judge

Please post in the submission thread, not here. Thanks.

Honestly, that's incredibly ignorant. I don't even feel like explaining how wrong that is.

If people want future contests like this one, I'm sure someone will organize one. I don't really feel like taking part in serious contests regularly, because it's honestly quite silly.

People still don't seem to grasp that it is/was a joke. Even though it has gotten some good response and a few good maps, doesn't mean we should keep doing them.

14. Frozenlynx

Frozenlynx Forerunner

I have a few ideas for contests that don't involve gimmicks like this one. I agree people should be more original with the way they use pieces, but being forced to use a single type of piece is not going to help. If anything, doing a contest in which players must create a map using only 2 categories (that they may select themselves) within the structures menu would be more creative.

My other ideas include:
    -$5000 Budget Contest (my favorite idea)
    -Invasion Contest (I love Invasion, but most of them are mediocre at best due to the difficulty of balancing sides and phases)
    -Custom Game-Type Map Contest (players must create a competitive map that is meant to be played with a specific game-type which they set up exclusively for the map. This would not only test their forging skills, but game-type making skills as well)

15. Rho Fs

Rho Fs 2x2 Forge Judge

Those are real contests, and worth pursing. 1 piece contests like this shouldn't be more then a one time thing. Sure it's fun, and a nice change of pace, but unrealistic.

I like your ideas.

What does the Forgehub staff think of regular contests? I'm sure someone important will read this. I invite you to discuss it amongst yourselves for a little.

16. SargeantSarcasm

SargeantSarcasm In Loving Memory

I was actually thinking of a few contest ideas that I was going to bring up in staff after Throwdown Tourney got started. Couldn't hurt to brainstorm.

17. 4shot

4shot Bloodgulch

If it's ignorant, then you should explain why. I have only seen a handful of asymmetrical maps that aren't some inspiration from a previous Halo map, and only around two of them are good. If you can't name a good asymmetrical map yourself, don't post. That's real ignorant.

True that others could do a contest, but no one will. The mods here like to lock up any thread they see, so it's unlikely that any contests will take off. Their ways are too opinionated to allow anyone who isn't some well-respected member to make a thread. It would be nice to see a couple more contests, but it's probably not gonna happen. There was the Throwdown contest and the 2x2 Bank contest since Reach's release. No other contests took off, due either to mods locking it for no good reason or users bumping random threads to say something that has been said 10-20 times already.

It might have been a joke at first, but it's a serious thread now. Restricting to 1 object created some interesting and original submissions. Plus, a few creators are going to recreate their maps without object restrictions. The object restriction are only for the contest, anyways. I think it's more that you have failed to grasp what this thread has evolved into. What it was originally is very different from what it is now.

18. Frozenlynx

Frozenlynx Forerunner

I've made a new thread solely for the discussion of competition ideas/gauging public interest. Let's refrain from continuing to talk about it here.

19. Rho Fs

Rho Fs 2x2 Forge Judge

If you really think people aren't creative with their asym designs, I invite you to look around forgehub

On topic, so the mods don't kill me, all discussions about other contests should go to the thread made for it. Any discussion about future contests in here is spam.

Also, 2 days left for your submissions guys. I'm looking forward to playing all of them.

If anyone wants to volunteer to test all of these with me, please don't hesitate to make it known. I'ma gonna need some help.

#139 Rho Fs, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  20. NlBBS

NlBBS Forerunner

Anymore OT comments are going to receive infractions. Also, if you're looking for good asym. maps. try opening your eyes, they're all around you.