Tension

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by the whyher, Mar 21, 2008.

1. the whyher

the whyher Ancient

TENSION 2-14 players, All gametypes compatible.
    by the whyher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_k4k7wCZiw

The Story

Marangu Shipping Facility Report

This shipping facility was the 2nd smallest out of the 78 major shipping warehouses in South Africa. No one saw this coming at all or at least this soon. So why the hit on such a small facility?

The Marangu or 'Coca-Cola' trail route was a low-quality high-traffic route on Kilimanjaro, but was turned into a small crate shipping facility and warehouse supplying marines at the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Marangu offers relatively low scenic variation which meant it was perfect for a shipping rout because it offered no way of ambush and it is largely up and back on the same trail. When the Covenant started digging it was one of the first hits they made to cut off any supplies these marines on higher ground were receiving.

Eyewitness account: Matt Marbrey Engineer

I remember that morning walking into the warehouse near the water pipes on the west side and smelling something I never smelt before, Marangu Point is for the most part bare. It’s the same few trees, brush and rocks and I remember thinking maybe a pipe had a leak. Of course now I know I was just meters away from the brutes and jackals that hit us. They came in fallowing the pipe lines and accessed the main warehouse threw the teleporter that lead to the belt engine room.

Eyewitness account: Geoff Cooper, Colonel, grade two

They took the belt engine room first, took it out with a hammer I think by the looks. A few jackals took higher ground on top of the downed conveyer belt and waited for the main shipment doors to be opened. When the locks where broke, two brute choppers rolled in for support, one was immediately destroyed when a marine under the control tower fired a rocket. That was when all hell broke loose. One of our snipers took more than a few brutes out from up in the control tower but was finally taken down by a jackal sniper, Our resistance didn’t last long, my marines where out numbered, I made the order to stand down knowing that we couldn’t win the fight at hand. The brutes locked up all the remaining soldiers and engineers in Side B. Only six hours went by and the marines on Kilimanjaro came to take the facility back. That battle lasted only two hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Map

Enjoyment: Some may think this is a Bungie original from the video alone and pics, but it’s not. Tension was created by “the whyher” with remarkable attention to detail and mind of the game as it plays out. Tension is not only fun in every game type but it has a look that unifies the level as its own level. It is hard to say in any foundry map that you forgot that you are playing in foundry, but Tension can make you say that.

Balance: The map is symmetrical, no balance issues. Equipment, power weapons, long distance weapons and close range weapons are all in very good spots meaning no weapon or equipment balance issues either.

What’s in a name?: Tension, The name Tension came from the overall balance of the map itself. From one base to the other there are many lines of tension connecting the two symmetrical sides. To name a few; stairs to stairs, turret to turret, base rail to base rail, the back hall way, the mauler platform, and the downed conveyer belt in the back. That’s not all, then there are some that run parallel with the bases like from plasma pistol wall cutout to the back conveyer belt and the large sniper tower to, well anywhere.

Durability: I believe there is one spot to escape from the map, but to do it is more than unrealistic in any game, and extremely hard because of the level barrier at the top of foundry. Because of the weapon placement, weapon-whoring really does not exist. This map is very durable.

Aesthetics: Phenomenal. The interlocking is awesome, the railing is creative and is a first that I have seen. Placement of the brute weapons near the downed conveyer belt and the out of use chopper add great aesthetic touches. It has a look all its own that fits the story too. Scenery objects like barrels or pallets are place neatly and spread across the map. There are fusion cores in the back hall on their side’s that are just placed perfect that give yet another aesthetic touch. Very simple, perfect object placement and detailed, tightly put together larger objects(conveyer belt and belt engine room) are used.

Originality: The layout of this map is great. It is a symmetric map which of course has been done before but you can’t get knocked for that and most are not this good. The geometry reminds me of different levels. Midship in ways, being it has two bases with a center and different paths(belt and hall), on each side to get to the other base. The plasma pistol areas remind me of jumping up to get them in H2 Turf, and the main stairs on each base remind me of the original HCE Hang em High, carrying a flag up them you are dead man walking and just praying you don’t get tagged. I loved that part in Hang em High. The fencing used as railing is a first I have seen in a map, and it looks pretty cool. The way the level was designed and pulled together is original in my mind, I have never seen a shipping facility with its own conveyer belt and the sniper tower/rocket hole is original as well.

Overall: You will love this map, and will for sure be keeping it on your hard drive forever. Everyone needs to download. Thanks for the time.

Some Cool Stuff...

If you are at the top of the conveyer belt or in the belt engine room you can still hear the back up engine still running... check it out!

Marangu trail, the name and description of it on kilimanjaro is real. It does exist.

You can fire through the fence walls but sniping through is not always a sure thing so dont be too made when the shot bends.

Rockets of course can not go through the fence walls but did you know that zero splash does aswell. You can be touching the fence wall on oneside and a rocket hits the other and have no damage or splash damage.

No nad jumping! The fence railing is at the right level so you can not nade jump in too the base.

There are more than just the 2 ways into the bases. There are the main stairs, the teleports, and one more. The crate near the the flag side of the each base can be moved by a nice nad or rocket and the jump from center platform or mauler platform to that lip can be made. Its a hard jump but can be made and used well in flag and bomb.

DOWNLOAD TENSION

#1 the whyher, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Good lord, this is the best post ever. Congratulations, sir; you win. The storyline and the accompanying youtube vid were superb. Reading the story with the music going in the background almost gave me chills. Your map now has a lot to live up to. I'll be back after I give it a forgethrough.

3. Roche178

Roche178 Ancient

Dude seriously this post is the best map post I have ever seen good job and I remember playing this map the other day and it was really fun I love the amount of interlocking you did it tells me you put alot of effort into the map I think this map should be featured.

4. Mallet

Mallet Ancient
    Banned

Wow I see you already know this is the best map ever so I won't bother forming my own opinion. Damn, being confident in your map is great but it makes me cringe how self assured and well... pompous your post sounds. You even referred to yourself in third person lolz.

Anyway the map does look really very good. I liked the vid, I think you posted it in the video section a while ago. I'll definitely download it and have a "forge through" to get an better idea. Great work man.

5. the whyher

the whyher Ancient

LOL... hey I never said that, LOL...
    Trying to but something different up you know, talk about it in a review format. How did you play it? I think a few have it, shock and lights maybe, I gave a short run for a few people... I fixed some things they mentioned fixing in it...

6. Matty

Matty Ancient

Your map is very good, but certainly not the best. Please remove those comments that make you sound like you think your map is the best, because it wont get you anywhere.

The interlocking is smooth, and the shape is ok. Its pretty un-original. Just a big box with different ways around. Also i think your map lacks cover, especially with a sniper rifle on it. It would be very easy to get pinned down.

7. Bottlecap

Bottlecap Ancient

I will agree that it isn't the best ever, but holy heck it does look pretty official. His presentation is without any doubt the best yet, but don't solely rely on it, don't forget your normal forge throughs just to check it out. But Matty, dude seriously, this is one of the much higher quality maps so don't bash it. - Brute Captain

8. Furious D 18

Furious D 18 Ancient

I can't speak for the map because I haven't downloaded it yet, but I can say that that is the best map promo video that I've ever seen. Great job on the video.

9. Iv0rY Snak3

Iv0rY Snak3 Ancient

How do you get the video?
    and man this must be a pretty sweet map if your attracting guilders and loyals to your posts i only ever get trainees and the odd guerilla before my maps slink away to the last page *sob* oh well anyway great job on the map i noticed a few gaps but they must be intentional if your getting such great reviews

10. haruki jitsunin

haruki jitsunin Ancient

It looks pretty promising. I mean I'll have to play it and really review it to tell, but you definitely piqued my interest.

11. TXGhost

TXGhost Ancient

Wow that video looks like something Bungie would make. That was very impressive. Your map looks good as well. I love the interlocking with the bridges. Downloading now.

12. Willmatic

Willmatic Ancient

i havent played the map yet but the vid should be featured on bungie

13. LOL zombie

LOL zombie Ancient

Holy -blam- this is the best post i've ever seen. The video is brilliant and the map looks awesome too...Damn

14. Mallet

Mallet Ancient
    Banned

Eek wall o' text.

I looked at it in more detail in forge and its as good as it looks. Very neat and very well put together, its a nice layout. I have a couple of little bits of critism but really its a pretty flawless design and execution. It seems the quality of maps on this site is getting higher and higher, I fear the guilders may not be the unquestionably more elite forgers they once were (omfg heresy).

The sniper and high br spawns are interesting. While they may cause camping, I still think theyre cool.

There are some aspects that I think didn't really work, particularly the teleporter system. The two way nodes at the bases are in a very small area, I don't really like to go through a teleporter to find myself run straight into a wall at the other end. I think it would've been better to not include the corridor with the invisibility altogether really.

Although I usually say that weapon placement is personal preference thing, I would say some need tweaking. I can't really imagine the flamer would get much use where it is, personally I would move the shotty to there and delete the flamer. The covenant sniper I'm not sure about either, I would have probably gone for rocket or maybe sword instead.

Also, you should make sure players can either get back in the play area or kill themselves via death teleporters outside the map. It kinda ruins the game if you or your teammate get stuck outside the map.

And the chopper and hammer? Hmmmm leik huh?

GG.

15. Rise Against

Rise Against Ancient

This map is very neatly made, Ill have to try a game on it.

How does the shotgun right near the flamethrower play out though?

16. RunTime83

RunTime83 Ancient

After checking it out, I have to say I like this one. Its very neat and symmetrical. Nice little areas for a flank attack. I like the small room with the flame thrower. Will be keeping this one for a game later. Very nice job!

17. ferrari504

ferrari504 Ancient

WOW!!! I give this map a 1000/5. It is amazing.

18. deepmonkey paw

deepmonkey paw Ancient

DUDE.. that video is awesome!. I definately have to try to do something like that with my next map post. Regarding your map.. it looks really nice. My Xbox is off being repaired, but I am definately gonna que this map for when it returns. Looks really nice, and the story was nice too.. Great job.**thumbs Up!**

19. LIGHTSOUT225

Damn easy there Matty. It really wasnt as bad as you make it out to be at all. Its good he's confident in his map. If he's not, then its pretty hard for any of us to be also.

Anyway, yeh ive loved this map every since you showed it to me a couple weeks ago. Ive played several customs on it with various people on my friends list and everyone has loved it so far. Its extremely fast paced and never got repetitive like some maps do.

STAMPED WITH LIGHTSOUT225's SATISFACTION GUARANTEE OR YOUR DL BACK

20. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

Your presentation of the map is impressive. I look forward to playing a game on Tension. I'll be back once I've given her a forge-through.