Televator Design

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Nemihara, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

I was thinking of a teleporter system that makes it act sort of like an elevator.
    [​IMG]
    In theory, the sender node (1) on the bottom floor will send you to a receiver (1) above another sender node (2). There would be enough time in your fall to get to a floor, if you walk forward. If not, you'll fall and hit another sender that'll send you to a receiver node (2) above receiver (1). There is a sender node (3) right upon it, so when you spawn at receiver (1), you don't immediately go to receiver (3). You could go to another notch, or fall into sender (3), which will spawn you at the top level.
    Comments on this system would be appreciated, as I'm too busy doing homework to do it myself right now.

2. Orangeremi

Orangeremi Ancient

I really like this.. its a really great idea. Althought wouldn't it leave the user vulnerable?

3. Skull 134D3R

Skull 134D3R Ancient

Really good idea, you could always place a custom powerup at all the sender nodes that makes you invulnerable for 3 seconds so that you can't get killed while travelling through the elevator.

4. David 118

David 118 Ancient

the first teleporter could send you to the lift which could be somewhere you cant get to shoot at so they are safe that way.

5. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

For the vulnerability part, it could just be blocked off by walls. The main problem I see right now is momentum. It could always be combated by custom powerups, but I digress.
    Back to my essay on trench warfare.

6. FallDamage

FallDamage Ancient

dont mean to put down your idea but whats wrong with a two way teleporter? im ean its way easier and you dont have the whole exposed problem. Also on your diagram, following the lines down wont it just drop you into the first node to send you back up?

7. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

This would totally work, and is kind of a cool idea... but I don't really see what the use of it is. Seems to me like more of a novelty than something that would add to gameplay.

8. Ufochaser42

Ufochaser42 Ancient

FallDamage has a good point. Take, for example, the 3rd teleporter. It must be linked to the first teleporter (yellow line) on the same channel. It must also be linked to the 5th teleporter (red line) with the same channel. Therefore, you would also end up with teleporters 1 and 5 on the same channel, which would break the system. You might even find yourself dropping back down or stuck in a teleporter loop. You would need the pattern to go 1(bottom)-3, 2-5, 4-6(top). You can always continue this pattern with as many teleporters as you like. I don't know about the momentum issue...

Here is a pic of what i am describing: (please forgive my lack of Paint skills)

[​IMG]

Note that in my diagram i added an extra set from what i described, to illustrate how you would add more to the pattern.

9. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

Ufo's right. I wasn't thinking. As far as momentum is concerned, you could just place the teleporters horizontally so they shoot you down into the next link.

10. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

If you didn't have all of the teleporters stacked in a vertical line it would work the way you have it laid out. Which you probably have to do anyway, given the height restriction of (I'm going to assume) Foundry and need to generate the proper momentum. You'd have to have two vertical columns of teleporters in a similar layout to yours. I'm probably going to play with this idea when I get home just to see if it would work. It totally would chew up resources, but it's not like we have a budget to worry about anymore. Nice to see you thinking outside the box...

11. Lemonyguy47

Lemonyguy47 Ancient

I too am working on an elevator system, tho mine I want to actually act like an elevator... I'm working on making some sort of way to make a sort platform that you make go up or down when you want... its quite difficult tho... anyways I like your idea too tho it seems the same as just taking a teleporter up to another floor... But i really like how you choose where you go... it gives me ideas of how else I can work on mine...

- Lemon :squirrel_rubberduck:

12. Klink258

Klink258 Ancient

This makes sense, but what about the 'portal' effect? THe speed of coming out of it, how disorienting it is, etc.

13. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

If it were two-way, there's a chance of falling into it and traveling back to the bottom, messing up the pattern. That's why there's a sender node (2) on top of receiver node (1), so when you spawn at receiver (2), you won't immediately travel to receiver (2), because of how the teleporter system works, but you'll go only to receiver (2) after falling into sender (1) and going above sender (2).
    Technically, you don't have to use Foundry (I was going to use Standoff). Because of the height restriction, this is probably the best map, besides maybe Sandtrap.
    Gah, I hadn't thought about what would happen after three sequences. I guess that would be the max, in one elevator set. Seeing how there's ten channels, and six pairs of senders/receivers, I guess you could make two.

14. Hero Of Lime

Hero Of Lime Ancient

If its protected a few floating open containers, I think it would work well to protect the person. Also a wall inbetween 1 and 2, 3 and 4, etc., would make it so that it would be impossible to harm the person in the elevator.

15. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

Ahh. I can finally see the picture, stupid Websense filter.
    That's pretty much my diagram. I did say that there was a sender (2) immediately on top of receiver (1). The way H3 works, if you put two teleporters on top of each other, it won't send you into an infinite loop. This effect is utilized in my original diagram in order to increase the maximum amount of height.

16. Ufochaser42

Ufochaser42 Ancient

Ok, i misunderstood your original post. Based on your what you are saying, then yes my diagram shows basically the same thing.

Now that i've had time to think about it, i have some more ideas. With the way my diagram is set up, i don't know why you would need "momentum". Gravity would always be pulling you down to the next teleporter which then takes you higher.

The only problem i see is if someone is blocking the final receiver node. Then you would drop backwards through the teleporters until you end up at the bottom, which would send you back up again, in a loop. This also means that you could only use the televator to go up, not down, as FallDamage pointed out.

I'm curious as to how you plan on using this as well. Is it just to slow down the process, so it takes longer to get to the top then just one teleporter? Or did you have another idea?

17. Jax

Jax Ancient

The teles must be horizontal, if theyre vertical the momentum will throw you out.

18. Dark Halo Angel

Dark Halo Angel Ancient

why not just put 2 teleporters, and not have to waste money, time, and ideas?

19. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

For multiple floors, two teleporters wouldn't work. Besides, I think it would be interesting. Plus the fact I made it so it's not as fast as teleporters.

20. kookmasteraj

kookmasteraj Ancient

looks interesting did you try this yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.