Teleporters and Elites

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by robbie2705, Nov 16, 2010.

1. robbie2705

robbie2705 Forerunner

So I'm nearing completion on a new map, and have run into a bit of a snag. Spartans can run through a teleporter just fine, but elites are unable to do so. I've replicated the Blood Gulch / Hemorrhage bases, and can't see anything wrong.

I know others have run into similar issues. Anyone found a fix? Thanks much.

Edit: For clarification, I have both the the teleporter and the teleporter frame. When I remove the frame, it works for Elites just fine.

#1 robbie2705, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  2. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

The frame is too small for elites. Known (and very unfortunate) issue. The fix is, don't use that frame.

3. Izano Slayer

Izano Slayer Forerunner

Your problem is that the teleporter frame is too small for the elites to fit in, so they cant get through. I'm not sure how to fix it, but the easiest way would be to remove the tele frame.

4. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Keep the frame, sink the teleporter into it. Should fix your problem.

5. robbie2705

robbie2705 Forerunner

@ megapwn and Izano: Kinda what I was afraid of. Don't like what it does for the map.

@ squidhands: Tried a few times. Changing the physics of objects doesn't seem to help either. I've run stuck. But I'll give it another go when I'm fresh. Thanks!

6. DeadlyHeretic

DeadlyHeretic Ancient

Can you not increase the radius of the teleporter slightly to fix it?

7. Keg

Keg Forerunner

this will work

8. Exile

Exile Forerunner

Didnt work for me

9. DMM White

DMM White Ancient

Well you need to increase the radius so the area is sticking out of the teleporter frame so players never actually have to go through the frame, they get teleported just before.

If it didn't work for you then you didn't make the radius big enough.

10. Portal of Souls

Portal of Souls Forerunner

I'll check this evening but I think I have a map created, not posted yet, that actually has made the teleporters and elites issue null and void. I will come back and report my findings.

11. tyggerr

tyggerr Forerunner

Did you put a frame on the receiver teleporters? If so, just remove it, it will work fine.

12. robbie2705

robbie2705 Forerunner

@ tyggerr: Yup, that fixes it it for one way, but not for two. You're correct in that it seems that an Elite can enter the frame just fine, but is unable to exit, the same as if a vehicle or another object is on top of a teleporter exit. All in all, a pretty lame bug.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, have half my problem solved at least but will have to figure something out to make the two way ones look a bit better.

13. Daverian

Daverian Forerunner

Seems like it is figured out...good! I was going to say I heard a rumor that teleporters can be team specific and for you to check that....

14. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

My advice - ditch the frame for something bigger. Try a doorway, three railings, a brace, something along those lines. Build your own frame - a spacious, luxury model that will make your map the envy of all. :)

15. Salty Fingaz

Salty Fingaz Forerunner

Tried it (teamn specific, that is) on my invasion map... no luck... it teleported everyone just the same.
    If anyone finds it out let me know.

Atleast we know that we can make 'spartan only' teleporters...

16. magicman434

magicman434 Forerunner

this is what your problem is. the elite character model is too big to fit through. even if you increased the width or length it wouldnt change anything. its like this: you can go through the frame because there is enough room for the elite on the other side, but you cant go back because the teleporter frame size=/= elite character model.

#16 magicman434, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  17. DavidJCobb

DavidJCobb Forerunner

Take the Monsters Inc. approach: use a Door, and sink the Teleporter so the aura is visible, but not the base. Size it so the area of effect exists only within the Door frame. Ta-da! A neat little effect.

You can also embed the base into the top of the Door, and disguise it with an Antenna, Small, so there (almost) isn't any visible aura at all. It's a cooler but less visually-intuitive effect. I did that with an unreleased obstacle course ("Cobbstacle Course").

18. Stevo

Stevo Drunken Bantersaurus Rex
    Forge Critic Senior Member

If you're wanting to use the "Teleporter Frame" around a teleporter and make it Elite compatible do the following:
    • Sink the Teleporter frame further into the wall so only 1 set of coloured lights are visible this side of the wall.
    • Set the Sender Node up with the two prongs (Direction the Sender is facing) facing out of the Frame
    • Set the object shape to Box
    • Use the following settings:
      • Top: 1.2
      • Bottom: 0.0
      • Width: 0.5
      • Length: 0.5
    • Sink the Sender node down into the teleporter frame to hide the base (if required)
    • Repeat same steps for Receiver node.

Once you have both nodes set up, test the depth of the teleporter. As Elites cannot go through the frames, they need the extra height. (hence 1.2 instead of 1.0) They're also fatter (Grizzly bear mofo's) so they require extra depth, since you can't go through the walls, as a no brainer, sinking the frame into the wall and expanding the area further out provides enough space on both ends for the Elites to pass through the teleporters.

19. Portal of Souls

Portal of Souls Forerunner

Stevo sounds like he has an acceptable solution. I look into that to confirm! But as I mentioned, my map, which I thought had it working, definitely did not so I am back to square one. TELEFRAME = NOELITE