Taking Advantage of Symmetry Options

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by TrueDarkFusion, Dec 1, 2007.

1. bornslayer05

bornslayer05 Ancient

Thanks AZN i had thought about how to tweak the maps for different game types but for some reason i couldn't think of how to, maybe it was just to late lol.

2. Ray Benefield

Ray Benefield Godly Perfection
    Forge Critic

Always here to answer questions... that what I do. I hate moderating forums, but I like to help.

3. SIS 966

SIS 966 Ancient

I think know one really takes there time to refine and make there maps with the symmetry options.

Your maps can look really cool

p.s i am useless at forge

4. Ray Benefield

Ray Benefield Godly Perfection
    Forge Critic

I use symmetry in spawns for maps of multiple gametypes... I have little reason right now to use it for the environment. But soon I will, don't you worry.

5. suicidal

suicidal Ancient

would infection be asymertic of symertic?

6. External Memory

External Memory Ancient

Infection is asymmetric, which means with by keeping a frugal budget on, say, your new slayer-oriented map you can spawn all those doors, pallets and barricade objects you want to show up when you're playing infection. All the gametypes, when you go to them, will allow for their own unique team respawn zones and starting points, with which you can also usethe symmetry options wisely to make a more versatile map.
    I'm still trying to master this but to my knowledge, here are some symmetrical and asymmetrical gametypes:
    Symmetrical:
    slayer, team slayer, multi-flag ctf, "land grab" (neutral) territories, multi-vip, neutral assault, king of the hill
    Asymmetrical:
    infection, "regular" territories, single vip, "regular" assault, juggernaut

Go ahead and use this list but basically the thing to ask yourself is whether the gametype is necessarily placing (by virtue of the gametype alone, not the map or spawn points that the gametype will be used with) one team or one player at an advantage or disadvantage, or in a different position competitively than the other team(s) or player(s)? Or, to put it bluntly, is the gametype balanced? For example, Infection would place anyone who is infected or spawns as a zombie in a different competitive scenario/position by virtue of differing player traits (such as the inability to become the last man standing, among obvious other differences), so by default any infection variant is asymmetrical; whereas, some CTF, assault, territory and VIP variants will be either or, based on whether the teams will be on attack and defense or all competing towards the same goal in the same round(remember you can specify which, and symmetry, when you place those spawners too)!

I hope that helps any stumped forgers out there.

7. suicidal

suicidal Ancient

Thats one heck of a post and thx for the advice

8. F4K13D0UBL3P3G

F4K13D0UBL3P3G Ancient

wow thank you. i had been wondering what that was for.

9. azn_dude1

azn_dude1 Ancient

how do i make a bomb spawn point only appear in neutral flag and not mulit-flag?

10. a dumb cat

a dumb cat Ancient

There is no "neutral flag" game type. Bungie took it out in favor of neutral bomb. Kinda gay if you ask me. I loved neutral flag on the Halo 2 map Sanctuary...

11. SwordScar

SwordScar Ancient

does this apply to infection as well?

12. a dumb cat

a dumb cat Ancient

Not really. Infection is considered exclusively "Free for All" and there is very little tweaking to be done within a map. Most changes are made within the game variant.

--dc

13. crzy coolio kid

crzy coolio kid Ancient

OK I still DO NOT get how to stop making my Flag or Bomb spawn in the original spot. :squirrel_jaffa:

14. a dumb cat

a dumb cat Ancient

Change the game type. When in monitor mode, hit start, highlight "Change Game Type" and change to desired game type. When the new round starts, the flag/bomb spawn items will be on the map for you to pick up and move around.

--dc

15. IRoboto

IRoboto Ancient

To all forgers,

I have a huge issue using the "asymetric" and "symetric" settings. Even with detailed information I would really love to have some personal input using the settings in my map, I take pride in my maps and my ideas, and most of them have failed because of limited knowledge, and as I am reading more and more into what teqniques can be used, I think I have thrown away some unique and original ideas that had great potential.

So I gues I will do my best to explain this in great detail as possible, if you don't understand I will anticipate you would send me a friend request to my gamertag so we can communicate on a more direct level. If need be Marley54 is what I use.

I am having this be a 4v4 map, on Foundry. Foundry is split down the middle with box's, and you are NOT able to cross sides. In the back I have three main spawns. Three start spawns and three default spawns. This is on each side for defenders and attackers. Also, on each side I am having one guy who will be an enemy to the three spawners on each side. So basically and technically it's 1 Red vs 3 blue on one side and 1 Blue vs 3 red guys on the other. I need to make sure each guy spawns where they start and no where else... So I always want the red guys spawning on thier intial spawn, and the same for the blue guys, however if the 1 guy dies, its game over so I dont have to worry about that. Hopefully this makes logical sense to any of you... if not I would really prefer some on to send me a FR anyway... directly will be more efficient..

Thanks for your time,

Roboto

16. LIGHTSOUT225

Great first post, and welcome to Forge Hub! I think I can help you out. However, it doesn't have to do with the symmetry option. While in Monitor mode in Forge, hit Start > Select Gametype > Slayer (for instance). This will start a new round, and will give you more advanced spawning options. I think you can accomplish your goal by placing 3 Starting Points on each side. On one side, set 2 of the Starting Points to Attack (blue), and the other to Defense (red), and opposite on the other half. This should be what you're looking for, but if it isn't PM me with some more details and I'll try and take a closer look at it

The symmetry option would be something along the lines of when setting your map up for Multi-Flag for example, You could set one of the boxes in the dividing line to asymmetric. It wouldn't spawn in 2-sided objective games, offering players a different path to the other side of the map.

#36 LIGHTSOUT225, Apr 7, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  17. IRoboto

IRoboto Ancient

Unfortunately lightsout, thay may not be my issue, but I will take advantage of the PM and see if we can figure something out, in the mean time if anybody esle has ANY ideas.. please let me know.

18. a dumb cat

a dumb cat Ancient

I thought Lightsout described it perfectly...

Its the starting spawn points that need to be changed to "attacker" or "defender", no doubt about it.

--dc

19. IRoboto

IRoboto Ancient

Well dumb cat, I just need some "hands on" help if you know what I mean. I may have not described it to the exact detail. I intend to have this pefected if possible. So, I could really use some in game help.

20. Phantom Bowser

Phantom Bowser Ancient

So is asemetric like team slayer and multi flag, and one flag and one bomb are semetric? i could hardly understand whith all the **** you put around your words