Remake Sword Base

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by PA1NTS, Sep 30, 2012.

1. PA1NTS

PA1NTS Promethean
    Forge Critic Senior Member

#1 PA1NTS, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. Skyward Shoe

Skyward Shoe BTB Legend

I just have to say off the bat Paints, it would have made a hell of a lot more sense to have made this in a few months in Halo 4. If there are differences here you should explain them, because right now all I can say is it looks like Sword Base. I suppose that is what you were aiming for.

3. theSpinCycle

theSpinCycle Halo Reach Era

I agree for the most part with Shoe, but I do note a couple things:

1. It looks uglier in forge :(
    2. Shotgun drop down is now more open
    3. Tac jump by the red lift
    4. Ninja ledges widened, for the most part
    5. Beautiful center feature replaced :(

Not really sure why you wanted to remake Sword Base in Reach..

4. PA1NTS

PA1NTS Promethean

EDIT: All power weapons are drop spawned and have a 58 second respawn. Yellow lift landing room is alot bigger, it takes away most of the camping in that room. The DMR tunnel to blue lift is not as long, so people who camp there in infection have way less of an advantage.

I thought of it as a challenge. Plus, I don't think I've seen a cleaner sword base remake than this. If so, link it. I made this map ages ago, I'm just releasing it for the heck of it. It's kinda cool to see sword base in another realm. Mostly, it was just fun to forge.

Here's a walkthrough video I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liu6OP6xi-s&feature=plcp

#4 PA1NTS, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  5. mazdak26

mazdak26 Promethean

Why do you think?

6. Munchiebox

Munchiebox Forerunner

I really have no idea why anyone would remake Swordbase especially when the original is on the disc

7. PA1NTS

PA1NTS Promethean

Yeah, what was I thinking?
    Why did I even post this map...

#7 PA1NTS, Sep 30, 2012
  8. SimmonsZore

SimmonsZore Promethean

well... um... this is weird. This is a good remake and all but why sword base? The real one sucked PLUS with halo 4 about a month away you could of made it there.(dont see why you would thow)
    sorry i jsut dont know what to say about this besides "WHY?"

9. Narfidy444

Narfidy444 Promethean

I just dont understand why you made it lol. It looks good but like srsly bro. Halo 4 is less than 40 days away.

You baffle my mind

10. theSpinCycle

theSpinCycle Halo Reach Era

@ Narfidy444, Cheiyjiei, Munchiebox Come on, don't tell me you haven't read the whole thread?

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

I like most of the changes, although the bottom yellow area seems rather plain. Also disliking the use of 2x2 steeps by the corner 4x4 tac jump by the entrance to red lift, although I'm not sure whether you could have done anything about it.

#10 theSpinCycle, Sep 30, 2012
  11. Minion

Minion Forerunner

As cool as this looks, it would have been a lot better on halo 4. Right now, I have no reason to download it, because I already have it. In halo 4, I would've downloaded it, because I wouldn't have had it.

12. oxitran

oxitran Forerunner

haha i love this, its like a ***** slap to bungie ^.^
    The map itself is amazing, no joke. it fixes all the problems that the original swordsbase had.
    and the red lift tac jump is great :D i hated how if one team owned the yellow lift area i had to walk around the whole little track to get to the top safely :( and this fixes it.

also there is no more doorways in and out of the sword room which i can hide in and get my assassinations anymore :'( but overall it is a great fix.

the 3 complaints i have is why did you not make this when reach came out? i would have pushed for this to replace the original :D
    the grenade launcher should be a plasma launcher like in the beta.
    and there are a few places were the pieces could look a little more nice

13. WAR

WAR Cartographer
    The Creator Forge Critic

I remade Boardwalk a long time ago...just thought I would throw that out there.

14. Anguish SouL

Anguish SouL Forerunner

Well im glad to see im not the only one that painstakingly remade Sword Base on Reach.I for one did too and might i say your's look's way better than what i did.I'm probably the only one not complaining why you remade this map.So i share you pain sir i now how it feels to put many hours into something just to get slammed jk lol Great job anyways i like it.

15. Silentraine

Silentraine Forerunner

I like it, its quite nice and seems to do the job well of fixing the many issues the original has, I dont get the hate most are throwing toward it, its been remade in attempts several times to fix the issues the original on disc version has. While it reminds me why I hate Reach's forge, all the grey and ugliness of the pieces, it still seems like it would be worth a play just to see how well it performs honestly. When do you plan to run some tests on it?

Also its smart to do remakes in Reach, since Halo 4 appears to use the same scale in forge, you can simply use the Reach remakes as blueprints for a better remake in Halo 4 tbh, its what I am doing with my colossus remake :).

#15 Silentraine, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  16. PA1NTS

PA1NTS Promethean

That's sick. I actually tried starting a boardwalk remake the other day, but I gave up early in. Props to you for making boardwalk, it looks tough. Why not post it? Sure these remakes aren't really needed at this point in time but I think they show that you have passion for learning about maps in general, and not just to skip out on making remakes simply because they've already been done before.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

#16 PA1NTS, Oct 1, 2012
  17. xzamplez

xzamplez Ancient

Why would you remake one of the worst maps in the Halo franchise, in the game it was released on? I avoid matchmaking to distance myself from maps like this, and you have the nerve to bring this into Forgehub? Can't we all just forget this map existed?

@Cleaner Swordbase map: Sea Sick Swordbase.

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

You learn a lot more by remaking maps that aren't atrociously designed.

#17 xzamplez, Oct 1, 2012
  18. GetRdy2Fall

GetRdy2Fall Promethean

I like that you challenged yourself to try something new. A lot of people are scared to try new things (I have tried but I always find myself leaning back into my normal style), but I recommend to everyone, try building something different. It really does give you more knowledge and with out a doubt help you improve.

This map seems to be lacking some aesthetics, but this looks like it uses so much crap (not a negative term) there's no materials left to make it pretty. The layout looks pretty accurate. Glad you had fun with this, Good Job.

19. PA1NTS

PA1NTS Promethean

Thanks man. You really helped a bunch.

#19 PA1NTS, Oct 1, 2012
  20. Silentraine

Silentraine Forerunner

I feel Swordbase should of took more inspiration from Prisoner, in that the walkways stayed leveled out and didnt really force players to go uphill so often, or use badly designed gravity lift exit rooms. Even though the Anniversary remake of Prisoner kind of broke some of the originals decenty in that area, I still feel they could of went with a small size increase especially on the walkways and kept most of the design that made Prisoner a better map in most ways.

If you do decide to remake some of this in Halo 4, or before, I would take out the areas segmented by the glass, and open the map up a little more while leveling out the walkways. It needs more of a competitive feel and design to it, definately less areas that can be camped, Yellow lift room deserves to be scrapped altogether and changed completely for sure.

By the way hows progress on your BTB map designs?