Swat w.i.p

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Shugz117, Aug 19, 2011.

?

Your thoughts on this map?

Poll closed Aug 29, 2011.
  1. Very good for a first attempt.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Not bad but needs a few tweaks.

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. It's OK but has it's problems.

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Shugz117

Shugz117 Forerunner

Hello all my names Hugh (shugz117), this is my first post on Forge Hub and what better way is there to introduce myself than with my map :).

The Story

This facility is one of the first and most used Spartan testing bases created and it has seen a lot of blood shed over the decades, although It has now become abandoned due to the current covenant attack on Reach.

------

Basically I enjoy playing SWAT and decided to take a stab at creating a SWAT only map. Although keep in mind this map is still a w.i.p as stated in the title, but if anyone could test it out for me and give honest feedback/suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

I feel as if the map is missing some more levels, so any suggestions would be welcomed :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a link to the map ..
    Bungie.net : Halo Reach : File Details

#1 Shugz117, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  2. I Black I Eye I

I Black I Eye I Ancient

I LOVE SWAT!!!!!!!!!!!1111111
    Oh.. and Welcome to FH ;D

I'll take a closer look @ the map and editing this post, or post again, whatever...

BTW:
    you need to have at least...blabla pics blabla text bla
    or thread closed ;)

3. Shugz117

Shugz117 Forerunner

Thanks for the welcome :) and for looking at the map buddy!

Ahh thanks for the heads up :) I'm working on that right now actually Some photos and a story will be added now very shortly :)

4. Naughty Badger

Naughty Badger Forerunner

I said not bad only because it was(so you say) your first reach map. There are a crapload of problems. I will list the major ones.
    Major
    You get the **** spawn-killed outta you
    You made about 5 respawn points(as above)
    Your bridges, platforms, ramps, etc. are uneven
    There are no safe/kill boundaries. I camped on the edge of the quarry.

Hey, I am only listing this so you won't make these mistakes again. I love swat, I like how it's realistic. Raise this here, add a soft kill area here, move this respawn point here, and boom! It's a better map! Since it is(may be) your first map keep going! I think you could make a decent forger.

5. Frozenlynx

Frozenlynx Forerunner

I always imagined a SWAT map being very urban and having tons of tight hallways, rooms, and corners. This looks like a rape-fest with no where to hide. I don't foresee anyone leaving their respective bases, except maybe to try and set up camp in the other team's base and spawn kill.

6. Neoshadow

Neoshadow Forerunner

The biggest problem with this map is that you've fitted it with the worst gametype.

Swat is going to be horrible here. There's a serious lack of cover, there are maybe 4 routes around the map, with no compromises. It looks like it lacks flow, and the floors seem to be uneven.

The biggest problem would indeed be the spawn killing. You seem to have maybe 5 spawns P/T, and all of them are in the same area. Horrible idea.

It seems like you have a lot of your budget left. Work on each of these problems. The best swat maps have tight corners, lots of cover and great LoS.

Keep working on it man, use this constructive criticism.

7. Shugz117

Shugz117 Forerunner

--------

Thanks for the honest reply guys it's exactly what I wanted. I have to admit (about the spawns) I really had no idea when it came to placing them, but I will sort that and work on the rest of the problems also especially the floors and cover/levels :). As I said this is definitely a W.I.P and i do have a lot more budget to work with, so I will be back tomorrow evening with V2 :).

8. Naughty Badger

Naughty Badger Forerunner

Don't be too hasty in finishing your V2. Take time to make sure it's all fixed. For me it'd take like 2-4 days to make a V2 for this. Cuz you need better spawns(test them), kill/safe boundaries(test them), more cover(test), and more paths(test). Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, TEST!! :p

9. Shugz117

Shugz117 Forerunner

Haha I understand loud n' clear, I should have tested V1 a lot more before posting but Iv'e learned from that.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress :) I'm going to hand draw some plans tomorrow for more levels after I fix the floors and walkways, then I will correct the spawns after that.

Thanks for the info :)

Hello all,

I'm working now today on the things you guys have mentioned, then I shall draw up some plans for more levels/cover.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress and if anyone has any other input please feel, the more feedback the better the map :).

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

Well I am officially stumped in terms of where to add new levels :( anyone got any suggestions to help?

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

I think I've hit a brick wall so to speak with this map at the moment as regards to levels, I uploaded V2.5 today if anyone wants to check it out :)

I'm not keen on the added upper level and might remove that and also I think this map may be too big for SWAT :/

Any suggestions or criticisms would be very helpful.

#9 Shugz117, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011