SWAT question??

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Shadow_Player, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Shadow_Player

Shadow_Player Ancient

ok do SWAT maps work best with enclosed maps or open maps (STandoff, Narrows, Isolation) ??
    Because that i know what this Gametype is i want to make a map for it, but i just want to know what would be to use to make such a map...thanks in advance

2. PHOENIX 874

PHOENIX 874 Ancient

I would suggest more enclosed areas, but a map like Narrows is fine. I mean, there is no strategy if a SWAT game becomes a competition for who can long-range BR the best. Something like Standoff doesn't work, where there is practically a 360 degrees viewing area in a map that favors long range attacks.

3. Soggydoughnuts

Soggydoughnuts Ancient

I think it is personal opionion I mean I would play on either but prefer enclosed areas. Whatever you feel is right is the way I would look at it.
    -Donuts

4. Lone Deity

Lone Deity Ancient

I like big maps, with well placed cover. It makes me use my eyes more than my radar. That's my opinion, though it's really hard to do this.

5. Wakko45

Wakko45 Ancient

When I tihnk of SWAT I think of an enclosed map that you don't have to be proficient in long range. You just have to be skilled at having good reflexes to the area around you, be aware of everything in the area around you.

6. Mallet

Mallet Ancient
    Banned

Could somebody explain the SWAT gametype? I am a halo 1 man at heart, and didn't play h2 online.

7. Ty

Ty Guest

I'm working on SWAT maps for the potential tourney and I think I made a version on Standoff that'll work, It needs more testing, but we'll see. Asfar as requirements for a SWAT map you have to remember a few key things:

Plenty of cover

try to avoid camping areas

don't provide cover where you don't want players to go

also try to eliminate "choke" points

SWAT maps are tough to work up, at leas one that plays well.

As far as the SWAT gametype, it's basically no shields, BR starts magnum secondary. There will be an official SWAT gametype that will be available for DL here soon.

8. xxBRYTExx

xxBRYTExx Ancient

paintball looking maps are the best for swat

9. EL173 R3Ap3r 257

Enclosed areas.

10. Shadow_Player

Shadow_Player Ancient

ok thanx for all the info...i plan to get started on a map ASAP

but what is a CHOKE point??

11. PHOENIX 874

PHOENIX 874 Ancient

A chokepoint is a narrow hallway or entrance where much of the action takes place. This is usually caused by placing only one way to enter the other teams' base, which forces all the players to pass through that single hallway or door. This creates a chokepoint, which should be avoided, especially in a game like SWAT. A skilled player who can control the chokepoint can easily get Extermination after extermination.

12. suicidal

suicidal Ancient

Like say, your playing infection on Fbu's TRAXUS CO. ,
    the armoury is a choke point, because zombies have
    only one way to get to the humans and it's relatively small
    and heavily guarded. Well, thats the best example I can
    think of.

Edit (sort of): Dang you pheonix, you beat me to it!!!

13. Shadow_Player

Shadow_Player Ancient

oh thanx for that tidbit... i hav to make sure that if i do have one that i make sure that there's no power weapons anywhere near by becuz then like you said Phoenix exterm after exterm for the controller...

but i mean coudnt u have the choke point also be a good thing as well...i mean to allow it to be the main battleground and whom ever becomes victorious claims it...like in a territories or KotH??

14. PHOENIX 874

PHOENIX 874 Ancient

In SWAT, there are no weapons on the map. The only weapons are Battle Rifles/Magnums, which you spawn with. Since there are no shields, you can die with one shot BR to the head. This emphasizes good handeye coordination and swift reaction times, while also awarding players who can see the other player first. This means stealth is part of a good SWAT player's game.

That is also why wide open, 360 degrees viewing area maps are horrible for SWAT. If the opponent and you can always see each other, the game becomes a competition for who can long-range BR better, which is not what SWAT is about. That's also why good SWAT maps feature lots of cover, since it is extremely easy to get killed.

SWAT is a slayer gametype however, and different maps have different strongpoints for what gametype works best on them. Having a 360 degrees viewing range is a good idea in a gametype like King of the Hill, especially from the hill. Guarding a hill in King of the Hill shouldn't mean simply guarding 1 or 2 entrances. The more ways the enemy can approach you, the more teamwork or strategy is required. The ideas of SWAT and KOTH are pretty polar to each other. I don't suggest having a King of the Hill SWAT game, but if you can actually make it work, and make it work well, I'd be happy to try it out.

Generally, making chokepoints should be avoided. The gameplay it produces usually isn't intended or wanted, because it degrades strategy and promotes camping. Simply look at the "professionally" made maps, like the ones Bungie made for Halo. There is no one point in any of the maps in all the Halo's that is only accessable by one entrance.

15. suicidal

suicidal Ancient

16. PHOENIX 874

PHOENIX 874 Ancient

When I post on forums, I try not to have my posts waste space. I'm kinda like that, get used to it. xD

17. Shadow_Player

Shadow_Player Ancient

thank you for the information about that :)
    but i mean if u were to make a crazy king wiith a very small area to hold would that still devert attention from the true purpose of a SWAT map??

18. PHOENIX 874

PHOENIX 874 Ancient

SWAT was originally intended as a competitive gametype, and has evolved as such.

That's not to say that you can't stray from the "original" purpose of SWAT, I doubt anyone cares if you use SWAT in a unique way on a different map/gametype, as long as its fun.

I don't want you to be pressured by what I say SWAT is intended to play like.

There are ways to make a good SWAT map, and there are ways to use SWAT well in a different manner as well.

19. Shadow_Player

Shadow_Player Ancient

No no pressure sensed from this you simply helping me out with a question and helping me further progress my idea of making a SWAT map with a little twist to it...with that i thank you not feel threatened

20. PHOENIX 874

PHOENIX 874 Ancient

Okay. Glad I could help. :D